Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have toys gotten lamer?

Default Have toys gotten lamer?

Back when I was a kid, there was Lite Brite, the whole toy aisle be filled with Barbie stuff, there were Knex and Legos, Littlest Pet Shop and Polly Pockets. Now today it seems like toys have gotten lamer. No more Lite Brite, lack of Knex, Legos, and Barbies. The Polly Pockets have disspeared and now they are Polly Fashion which seems to be gone now too. I do not like the new Littlest Pet Shop, I think they look slutty because of the looks of the fake animals. My god what has happened to our toys? They are lame now. I can remember the Creepy Crawlers and now those are gone, the Play Doh seems to be lacking now too. 1990's was the best for toys because that's when they were the best. Now I notice Skipper, Stacie and Kelly are hardly around now on the shelves.

Sadly my own kid won't know how cool toys were when I was a kid because he or she be stuck with the lame toys and won't know any different. I guess I'll be using ebay for the classic toys just as long as the sellers aren't charging too much for them and just as long as the bids don't get too high.

I also notice Little People don't exist anymore because the company stopped making them. I remember the Little Tykes people, they stopped being made too. Sad how toys have to disappear and retire. Pretty soon it might be the View master and the Etch A Sketch. It seems like Fisher Price has disspeared and Little Tykes. Now you can only find them on ebay, in second hand stores or antique stores, or yard sales. Ebay be easier.

yeah I agree with you on this, lucky for my kids I still have all my legos

Knex and lego's are still VERY much around. Lego's will NEVER die, anyways. It's pretty much like god made them. See K'nex.

There are still Barbies, Polly Pockets, Legos, K'NEX, Play D'oh. You're probably biased about favoring the toys you grew up with.

For many people of my generation, the switch from metal, rubber, and wood to mainly plastic in toys was a move in the *lame* direction. However, we did have some plastic in the '50s like the American Plastic Bricks building set. There are a few plastic toys which I'll still give a "thumbs up" to. K'Nex is one of them, along with Legos, Fisher Price ride-on toys, and model trains which have mostly plastic engine and car bodies. I haven't kept up with all the current toys, so I'm not sure how lame they may be getting these days in comparison to the past decade. Now that you've got my curiosity up, I'll have to take a trip to our local Toys-R-Us to see what's new.

no, when I go to walmart or target where I live, they have a very limited slecetion of legos, and noo kenexs. trust cause I still buy legos from time to time, I find I jsut have to order sets. They have the 10-50 peace sets

there are still tons of toys around, though i have to agree the amount of thought that goes into the new ones seems lacking. like they came from third-world sweatshops. but also toy companies have to deal with video-games now. though the video games aimed at kids are very lacking too, but i guess the kids don't seem mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    There are still Barbies, Polly Pockets, Legos, K'NEX, Play D'oh. You're probably biased about favoring the toys you grew up with.

Of course you aren't gonna like the new toys as much as the ones you grew up with. You grew up with them. They were a part of your life and now that you're at a stage where you don't need toys anymore, the toys won't have as much of an effect.

Kids I watch, they love Littlest Pet Shops. They love Ben 10. And they love (almost) everything that we love. K'nex was huge with me, and it's still around.

Play-Doh and Legos will never die. Super Soakers, Water Balloons.

Crayola has gotten bigger and better. Huge posters that you hang on the wall, with a light-up pen that you draw with in the dark so the drawing glows. That is awesome.

It's not worse, it's just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    There are lack of them. I said that in my post. The whole toy aisle used to be filled with Barbies and now they are less of them in the toy section and I have not seen any Kelly dolls lately or Stacie or Skipper. Bratz seemed to be replacing them and now with them banned, maybe the Barbies will go back to the way they used to be by filling up the whole aisle again.

I guess I am the type of person who likes things to stay the same and want toys to stay the same too.

I never thought of it that way, but i guess the toys have gotten lamer.