Thread: Hello, Hello!

Default Hello, Hello!

New here (of course, heh) And figured I'd start things off right by posting immediately in the intros. I'm a 17 year old in community college (I'm taking a dual-credit thing so I can do both High school and college) and my interests involve anime, manga, Football, and NASCAR (Crazy contrast, I know). well...You can ask me pretty much anything ^_^; I think I'm better at asking questions than telling alot about myself!

Hi and welcome! *waves*

What kind of anime do you like, Quarashi, if you don't mind my asking?

And...Could you explain the appeal of NASCAR to me please? So many people seem to love it (including my uncle), but I don't understand how it's so exciting, unless you're either in the car, related to the person in the car, or waiting for a crash to happen. I'm not trying to be rude - I'd just like to understand.

~ moogle

Nascar: while I am not a huge fan and do not watch it much, when I do, I say GO TOYOTA!!!

Nascar is on the surface very boring, and I don't understand why so many people love to watch it on TV. That being said, I love it, but for totally different reasons. I race as a hobby. I am not rich, my last name is not Petty, and there are no easy to get to local racetracks around me so I'll never get to be a professional driver, but I play around in the amateur level at local and regional SCCA and NASA events. I really enjoy watching the intricacies of pit/tire/fuel strategies, and overall driving style of the different drivers. There are guys who drive like a pushy WWF wrestler, and then there are those who drive in a passive aggressive "Judo" like style. Watching them interact at high speeds is always exciting if you know what you are seeing. Also, watch one of the few races a year that NASCAR does on a more traditional "road course". You may not have much respect for a 3 hour long left turn, but watching them hustle those giant piggy NASCARs around a tight road course is just awesome.

I also love to watch F1, and my wife hates that I will stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning to watch the races (mostly in Europe and Asia). I'm absolutely loving that the whole field has been turned on its head this year, some of the best racing in ages. I'm a little sad though that FIA is seemingly trying to force some of the older players out of the sport with regulations and restrictions.

Welcome aboard!

/fellow auto knurd

Like Bobbyjeff says, it is a matter of knowing wheat you are seeing. Obviously if you do the sport you can see subleties and intricacies. I was never much of a dance fan until So You Think You Can Dance. Sure I got taken to the ballet (parents) and liked musicals. But Dancing With The Stars did nothing for me, or other competition. But So... leads you into it: with the bad auditions, the mediocre ones, the good ones, and he ones that are outstanding. Then again is the diversity of styles that the dancers come with expertise in, and the ones they are asked to do. But a really important part is the judges' critiques: they point out stuff a duffer like me will miss; this is an education in a new communication medium, and is especially important when the dancers are all great: when I can't tell how good one was over another, the judges see all kinds of nuance and explain it. Watching season to season is also amazing, when a freestyler last year blew everyone's mind with new stuff; and lo and behold, it is showing up incorporated into this year's freestyle routines. I get to watch the birth and growth of a new idea, and watch it spread memetically .

YouTube - phillip chbeeb so you think you can dance

It is a joy to watch the growth and development of break dancing; no longet is it enough simply to do a back spin; the form has become highly technical, with choreography pre-eminent; and moves from other forms are enriching the breaking. Apparently the best lockers are all coming out of Japan now. It seems that in a few years to be among the great breakers one will have to start at three years old and have a background in ballet or gymnastics, and work with a choreographer.

If I were educated in Nascar, I am sure I would enjoy it more; also if each car was more easily distinguished from the rest. Remember how distinctive the F1 John Player Lotus was?

Quote Originally Posted by MoogleIsNotASmurf View Post
    Hi and welcome! *waves*

What kind of anime do you like, Quarashi, if you don't mind my asking?

And...Could you explain the appeal of NASCAR to me please? So many people seem to love it (including my uncle), but I don't understand how it's so exciting, unless you're either in the car, related to the person in the car, or waiting for a crash to happen. I'm not trying to be rude - I'd just like to understand.

~ moogle

I mainly do Slice of life, Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh are perfect for winding down and letting your brain melt into the anime...

I've also seen FLCL, Outlaw Star, Toradora, and Strike Witches. Planning to watch Higurashi, finish Gunslinger Girl and wrap up Haruhi season 1.

As far as the NASCAR thing goes, it's explained pretty well in the few posts above me. Any sport can be taken and simplified in a sentence to make it seem like it's boring/stupid, but there's intricacies that one can really appreciate when you get to start following.

TBH I barely ever watch NASCAR anymore, but I will be catching next week's Daytona race. ^_^