Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think I found me a car WOOT

Default I think I found me a car WOOT

So, went to look at a car my uncle saw today, nice as hell XD. $7,000 for a 2002 Saturn Coupe. Sadly, it's automatic, but it's got a sun roof and I think like 60k miles XD. Anyways, the guy said we could get it for $6200, so I think that's what we're going to do.

/excited

awesome! Will this be your first? I personally would stay away from a sunroof, but that's just me. I've seen them leak alot when the car is older.

Anyway, good luck with the car!

Second one, my honda died yesterday Though, I did get a $1000 offer on the brand new transmission in it so that's good XD.

My little beater Corolla I bought on spec; the most I had to lose, if it needed major work was the purchase price +inspection = $500. But for things $2000 and up I get them inspected BEFORE BUYING OR EVEN MAKING AN OFFER. For one thing, cars older than 10 years will need the insurance insepction anyway. For another, after I had decided an MPV was what I wanted, the first one I looked at ran beautifully, and was spotless but it turned out to need $2-3000 in work, not detectable by driving it or looking at it; the second one was near-perfect; both were listed for the same price. The cost of inspection prevents buying a lemon. It is also a bargaining chip for negotiating price.

If you have the skills of a mechanic to spot problems - or to fix them after - fine and dandy, especially if you intend the thing to be a project, and half the parts are going anyway to be replaced with stock or performance. I assume with any old car, I will replace plugs, wires, battery, belts, alternator (getting it rebuilt) and likely timing belt/chain, and likely exhaust. There are bargains out there but there are also tempting mistresses who turn into demanding wives when the papers are signed and sealed.
    Last edited by Raccoon; 13-Jun-2009 at 18:36.

My uncle has been a mechanic his whole life really and owns his own car shop. So, he's going to look at it and that'll say me the price if anything is screwed up on it. He stopped by and saw it and took a quick look over it and it looked fine. We're going back this afternoon to do a more thorough inspection of it, but everything seems to check out fine with it. So, yay, I might have a new car.

It sucks depending on others for rides, I don't know how I did it growing up -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    My uncle has been a mechanic his whole life really and owns his own car shop. So, he's going to look at it and that'll say me the price if anything is screwed up on it. He stopped by and saw it and took a quick look over it and it looked fine. We're going back this afternoon to do a more thorough inspection of it, but everything seems to check out fine with it. So, yay, I might have a new car.

It sucks depending on others for rides, I don't know how I did it growing up -_-
    I know that feeling, my car was done for almost a month after i fried the clutch. I had to depend on my roommate's truck until i could get the $$ to fix it. Luckily i go to tech school so i had all the tools needed to get the job done. It's a start though!

Older Saturns are tuff little cars! The only major job I ever had to do to one, other than replacing a clutch, is to replace the rod bearings in a 99 SC2, and the timing chain, guides, and tensioners in an SL2. Even THAT stuff was easy.

They are great little cars. Just keep the oil changed. If it ever needs a water pump, replace the coolant with regular, garden variety green ethylene glycol antifreeze. Dex-cool causes sludging problems if air gets into the cooling system.

So, went to look at a car my uncle saw today, nice as hell XD. $7,000 for a 2002 Saturn Coupe. Sadly, it's automatic, but it's got a sun roof and I think like 60k miles XD. Anyways, the guy said we could get it for $6200, so I think that's what we're going to do.

/excited
    $6,200 is an absolute, positive, rip off price for that car.

The car is worth about $4,500-5,000, in perfect condition, with that mileage. That said, it's a pretty bulletproof car.

Your uncle might be a cool guy, but he seems to be steering you in the wrong direction as far as cars are concerned.

He first said that your 1991 Accord has a carburetor, which it obviously, blatantly does not (really... for a computer literate person, it's like looking at a Mac, and calling it Windows XP), and now he's picked you out a car that is priced almost $2,000 over retail value. STOP LISTENING TO HIM!

Sorry to be harsh, but I HATE to see unknowing people get ripped off on cars. The Saturn SC is a great car, but that is way, way too much. I've purchased and sold almost 40 cars in my lifetime. I know what I'm talking about, and so does the poster above that said this car is priced too high. Do not screw yourself because "uncle carburetor" said it is a good deal.

My uncle has been a mechanic his whole life really and owns his own car shop.
    Ask him if he is ASE certified. Any technician that doesn't know the difference between a carbureted and fuel injected engine could be lumped in with... My mom.