Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: British Fascist Party elected to the European Parliament!

Default British Fascist Party elected to the European Parliament!

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - The far-right British National Party, which campaigns for a halt to immigration and British withdrawal from the European Union, won its first seats in the European Parliament on Monday.

BNP leader Nick Griffin, one of the two party members elected, hailed the achievement as an "astounding earthquake in British politics."

Mainstream parties lamented the breakthrough made by a party they regard as racist.

"It's a sad moment for British politics," Health Secretary Andy Burnham said.

Anti-fascist protesters threw eggs at Griffin's car when he arrived at Manchester town hall for the vote count and he said a car window was smashed. Candidates from the major parties walked out when Griffin gave his victory speech.

Griffin was elected in the northwest region while BNP member Andrew Brons won another seat in the northern region of Yorkshire and Humber, where the party took 10 percent of the vote.

The seats were gained at the expense of the Labour Party, which was abandoned by many voters angry at a scandal over politicians' expenses.

The BNP, which advocates voluntary repatriation of immigrants, has gathered support in urban areas among a working class suffering through the worst recession in decades and competing for jobs and services with immigrants.

The party won a seat on London's elected assembly last year but had previously had no voice in the British or European parliaments. Sunday's result will allow it to get more publicity for its views and increased resources.

"I think that, for years, the British public have watched in growing concern as our country has been transformed in all sorts of ways by an out-of-touch political elite and finally enough of them have summoned up the courage to do something effective about it at the ballot box," Griffin told Sky News.

He said his priority in Brussels would be "to do as much as we can to delay the process of further European unification because it is taking away Britain's sovereignty and our freedom and our identity."

The party would oppose Turkey's entry into the EU "because if people thought that the impact of cheap Polish labour was bad wait until you see what happens if Turkey is allowed in," he said.

Griffin said the BNP's membership policy had "nothing to do with race."

"We are just as opposed to mass immigration from all-white Poland as we are to immigration from Nigeria," he said.

With some results still to be announced, the BNP has already chalked up more than 900,000 votes in the European elections in Britain.
    Maybe the recession is causing people to become racist?

What do you guys think?

EmeraldsAndLime

Strained foreign relationships! Full steam ahead!

Australia's been there, done that. It didn't work out.

My god, ain't politics crazy!

Well, the pirate party got a seat to. In some ways, such a thing was inevitable, the fragmentation of political parties over the past few years would have resulted in some sort tangible reaction such as this. The Nazi party here in America has also seen a boast in enrollment, although not enough to be on anyone's radar really.

Quote Originally Posted by Babymullet Ver 9.8 View Post
    My god, ain't politics crazy!

Well, the pirate party got a seat to. In some ways, such a thing was inevitable, the fragmentation of political parties over the past few years would have resulted in some sort tangible reaction such as this. The Nazi party here in America has also seen a boast in enrollment, although not enough to be on anyone's radar really.
    Ah, so it's really a gimmick thing with the voters. I get it heh.

Also, did The Pirate Bay get a seat? Never knew that piracy was so popular in europe :P

I mentioned this in my Gordon Brown thread, but it's basically down to disenfranchisement with the established parties as we're in the middle of a recession and a significant scandal over MP's expenses here.

The number of votes the BNP received was actually more or less the same as they got at the last European elections but because turnout was so low and so few people were voting for the established parties, the share of the vote that the BNP got went up and, as it's a PR voting system, that was enough to win them the seats. Additionally, they have been flagrantly dishonest in presenting their actual views (which are racist, fascist and utterly deplorable to all decent people) and attracted people who feel unrepresented by traditional parties by talking about protecting the rights of 'indigenous Britons' and other such nonsense.

They won't make any inroads at the national elections and in a way everything was set up for them to do well just now, but it really is disgusting all the same.

Anyone who didn't vote ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Bastard BNP.

I still blame Labour though, I get the feeling that Labour supporters just decided to not vote or something. I mean who can you vote for?
    Labour? Ha!
    Tories? Jesus.
    Lib Dems? What's the point?

The recessions hasn't made people racist. Labour's being-shit-ness has made people not vote for them, and the usual racists have voted as normal.

I wish people weren't so Eurosceptic, I'll feel safe once we've signed the Constitution. Bloody press, bloody people.

I just want to give everybody a big slap.

Butterfly Mage

We had a fascist US President between 2000-2008 and all we have to show for it is an $11 trillion dollar debt, no allies, a strained military, and "Christian Soldiers" murdering people in church. Fascism is always a form of government that arises when people are afraid and are looking for unpopular minorities to blame for all of the nation's problems.

It's not just the UK having weird results. Sinn Fein did scarily well in the local and european elections here.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussic_aux View Post
    Also, did The Pirate Bay get a seat? Never knew that piracy was so popular in europe :P
    I feel I need to clear this up. The Pirate Bay is not, has never been, and never will be a political party. They're a tracker with ties (which were quickly cut after the launch) to Piratbyrån (The Pirate Bureau), which is just a group that promotes free sharing of knowledge and culture.

The Pirate Party in Sweden is a party that was formed by itself after the police's raid on The Pirate Bay's servers. They in turn have no ties to either The Pirate Bay or The Pirate Bureau.

I should know. I voted for them

Concerning the rise of fascist parties in the EU elections, a major part of their success can be traced to lazy bums who don't get of the couch and vote. If I remember correctly, only about 44% of the people in the countries holding EU elections voted. It's only natural that right wing extremists have a much easier time getting seats when nobody bothers to vote for the traditional parties.

EDIT: And oh, yes, The Pirate Party got one seat with 7% of the Swedish votes.

So... is this where stuff like "free" health care leads to?