• Government Motors

30 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Does "GM" Stand For?

Butterfly Mage

Default What Does "GM" Stand For?

Indigo Incarnates

There used to be a time that GM built cars and employed Americans. Nowadays, GM seems to be the government's favorite charity case. Now the government owns a controlling interest in GM. Amazing how the times have changed, eh? So, my minions, if you had to pick a new definition for "GM", what would your choice be?

-- Gonna Maybe. (As in "gonna maybe be profitable by the year 2020).

-- Gimmie Money. (As in "We just spend another $10 billion in taxpayer bailouts and have nothing to show for it!)

-- Greedy Millionaires. (Referring to the moribund executives that bankrupted GM in the first place)

-- Got Maintenance? (As in "the taxpayers are on the hook for GM's warranty work".)

-- General Meltdown. (Referring to how GM went from a 50% market share to a 15% marketshare in just five years.)

-- Guzzler Machines. (Referring to how their obsessive focus on Hummers and Escalades brought them to bankruptcy).

-- Government Motors. (Referring, of course, to the fact that the President of the United States is also effectively the President of GM too!)

I think this is one of those tests that there are now wrong answers, har har!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post

-- Government Motors. (Referring, of course, to the fact that the President of the United States is also effectively the President of GM too!)
    Like Renault, British Leyland, and all those before it.

Or maybe General Malaise, or Gross Mismanagement

It's now Government Motors. It's actually kind of depressing as GM was finally starting to turn out a decent product after the load of [email protected] they turned out in the 80's and early 90's. I mean, the old cutlass ciera was about the least exciting car ever, same thing with the old delta 88 and the 98 and oh, god, the Buick Roadmaster.

It's a shame, Chevy finally had a decent product to compete with the imports, Malibu's and Impalas are competitive in that segment. Pontiac has a few decent models too, and reliability was getting better. Even Cadillac was coming around. If you had asked me 10 years ago if I would have ever considered buying a Cadillac, I would have cringed at the thought, nowadays, I would have loved to get a nice CTS-V, that's an exciting car.

I will say that I was strongly considering buying another GM car, the one I have now is great. However, due to the recent events, I think I'll consider something else.

I think they suffered from two main problems, unions nearly bankrupted them, and they had too many models of the same car. Case in point, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick & Saturn all had the same minivan, just re-badged. What I don't understand is why they are keeping GMC around, they offer nothing special, just re-badged chevy trucks.

I never seen a GM car break down as much as Japanese branded cars. American cars break down far less then Japanese cars and some European cars bread down less then american cars. Every region has their own quality of standards, from what I seen japan has the poorest. But that's what happens when your whole outer car frame is a big piece of plastic which cost's thousands to replace even after a simple fender bender.

Japanese cars < American < European (VW,Volvo, etc).

I have 2 GM cars right now an 08 and an 02 both corvettes and have owned more GM cars than most people(because I buy and sell cars as a hobby now, but did it as a living for more years than I want to count) , I will buy more of them in the future.

I always prefered GM cars to all others, but they did get a little boreing, I hope this restructure makes more of the cars I like to buy and drive better than they ever have been.

Greedy millionaires. There is no form of life lower than a CEO, because you can't get to that level of success without having horrible skeletons in your closet.

There's other categories missing:

General Minister

Good Manure

Great Meaning

Government Motors. Under NO circumstances should ANY private business be owned by the government.