Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Anyone good at sewing?

  1. #1
    Error404

    Default Anyone good at sewing?

    Or more directly, anyone good at making plushies? I'm looking to commission someone to make me a metroid plushie for real cash or Gaia Gold (Or Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst items, if you so play it.)

    Metroidhat-OMG Metroid Plushies!!1!2

    That'd be some decent guidelines for making such, BUT, it would help if you are familiar with what metroids look like.

    I'd like it just a LITTLE smaller than a soccer ball.

    Price me up including shipping to England, hopefully we can work something out. ^_^

  2. #2

    Default

    I'd try to make one, but I've never sewn before and I'd prolly fail at it. D:

    ...Then again, I do have three months of practically nothing - maybe it'd be a nice summer project!

  3. #3
    Error404

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Neonite View Post
    I'd try to make one, but I've never sewn before and I'd prolly fail at it. D:

    ...Then again, I do have three months of practically nothing - maybe it'd be a nice summer project!
    Price? o.o

  4. #4
    Error404

    Default

    Not big on double posting, but looking for this ASAP.

  5. #5
    angelabauer

    Default

    Adorable Error 404 (a delightful screen name)

    Since here in the USA there are on-line groups and even local clubs devoted to sewing, my suggestion is to search those to find people who hand make custom plushies.

    My Granny Vi has been part of a club in her home city of Bellflower, California USA for many years which makes plushies for kids in hospitals and foster care. Here in Pasadena there are a couple of similar clubs. I know Granny would never consider making a plushie for pay, but I suspect if you nicely ask people in similar clubs near you in England you are charming enough to sweet talk someone into making what you want.

    Now I must return to my responsible attorney (barrister to you) mode to point out that probably the character you want is covered by a copyright. While it might not violate copyright law to make one for yourself, it is a violation to make one for sale. So, think about all that.

    Another approach would be to take sewing classes. You might well find it so much fun to make your own plushies.

    So far I have always been adopted by my plushie pals. But I think if a person does the sewing that is like giving birth to a plushie, which is a good thing. That would be a super special plushie!

  6. #6
    Error404

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Adorable Error 404 (a delightful screen name)

    Since here in the USA there are on-line groups and even local clubs devoted to sewing, my suggestion is to search those to find people who hand make custom plushies.

    My Granny Vi has been part of a club in her home city of Bellflower, California USA for many years which makes plushies for kids in hospitals and foster care. Here in Pasadena there are a couple of similar clubs. I know Granny would never consider making a plushie for pay, but I suspect if you nicely ask people in similar clubs near you in England you are charming enough to sweet talk someone into making what you want.

    Now I must return to my responsible attorney (barrister to you) mode to point out that probably the character you want is covered by a copyright. While it might not violate copyright law to make one for yourself, it is a violation to make one for sale. So, think about all that.

    Another approach would be to take sewing classes. You might well find it so much fun to make your own plushies.

    So far I have always been adopted by my plushie pals. But I think if a person does the sewing that is like giving birth to a plushie, which is a good thing. That would be a super special plushie!
    Fan made plushies, as far as I'm aware, aren't covered by this sort of law. Very much like cosplay outfits can be sold online. What I'm paying for is the creation of a plushie, not the likeness of that to of a copyrighted design. The loophole lies within that I am paying simply for the time and materials used there in. <3 The design of the 'Metroid' as a gaming character or device is likely copyrighted, but I do believe that making a plushie in the likeness of it simply constitutes to that of creative arts which is held under law as completely legal and within boundaries.

    Granted, that's in Britain. As for sewing? I can sew, but only clothes. And I have ADHD, I have no patience for that sort of thing. I was hoping better to get some people I have some idea of who they are before I go giving out my address to groups of people who may charge me immense prices. X_x

  7. #7
    angelabauer

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    Fan made plushies, as far as I'm aware, aren't covered by this sort of law. Very much like cosplay outfits can be sold online. What I'm paying for is the creation of a plushie, not the likeness of that to of a copyrighted design. The loophole lies within that I am paying simply for the time and materials used there in. <3 The design of the 'Metroid' as a gaming character or device is likely copyrighted, but I do believe that making a plushie in the likeness of it simply constitutes to that of creative arts which is held under law as completely legal and within boundaries.

    Granted, that's in Britain. As for sewing? I can sew, but only clothes. And I have ADHD, I have no patience for that sort of thing. I was hoping better to get some people I have some idea of who they are before I go giving out my address to groups of people who may charge me immense prices. X_x
    Error 404,
    Unfortunately you are making some seriously incorrect assumptions of your own copyright laws. There is no "fair use exemption" for fan-made plushies. I regret to say in court it will not matter what you believe the law to be, nor how you wish it to be. The Judge will provide the law that applies.

    True, it often happens the copyright owner does not investigate and start litigation every time. That does not change the law, nor is it a defense should litigation result.

    There are some copyright owners, especially Walt Disney Company, who are super protective of their characters, even those not yet sold as physical toys or plushies. Disney owns several computer game vendors and influences most of the others in that industry.

    My advice is to be discreet when asking someone to make this for you, especially on-line when the vendor might well be a spy for some corporation.

    My additional advice is that patent, copyright and trademark law is a specialty nearly recession-proof. In your country most of that legal work is done by civil solicitors. Such classes are often called "Intellectual Property" law (IP) in school lists. Personally I only get those cases when pre-trial conferences fail to work out a deal between corporations. Once us litigators get inloved in a law suit the costs are as high as the stakes.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    Price? o.o
    Umms, I'unno if I'm even making it. XD;;

    But if I do try, I'll prolly only charge enough to cover the shipping over there, if it didn't fail too hard. n.n

  9. #9

    Default

    Closest thing to plushies I've made on a sewing machine is bean bags. I'd like to develop some good sewing skills to help in my pram restoration projects.

    ~Pramrider

  10. #10

    Default

    A long time ago, my Dad showed me how to sew upholstery with my Mom's old Sears & Roebuck sewing machine. We made a new seat cover for the XL 250 I had when I was 13. I really need to get that machine from my Mom again so I can modify my jacket so the sleeves are longer, and I won't have to keep my fists balled up when I'm in it. It hurts after a while.

Similar Threads

  1. Pot - good or bad? Yet again...
    By Wegs in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 21-Jun-2009, 04:29
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2009, 04:50
  3. Good bye
    By Tommy in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18-Feb-2009, 22:16
  4. Good Buy!
    By Fire_lupine06 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2009, 04:27
  5. Is it good
    By Death Angel in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2008, 22:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.