Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lactose Intollerance?

curiousitykitten

Default Lactose Intollerance?

This is wierd. Today I had milk for the first time in two years. I know i need more calcium so i drank milk...

10 minutes later i was sick to my stomach for 3 hours

BUT I can eat cheese and yogurt once in a while and im fine

I used to not drink milk when I was little because of the taste. The only reason i drank it a few years ago was because people in the hospital made me. Suprisingly I liked the taste when i was drinking it.

So is this lactose intollerance?

Quote Originally Posted by curiousitykitten View Post
    This is wierd. Today I had milk for the first time in two years. I know i need more calcium so i drank milk...

10 minutes later i was sick to my stomach for 3 hours

BUT I can eat cheese and yogurt once in a while and im fine

I used to not drink milk when I was little because of the taste. The only reason i drank it a few years ago was because people in the hospital made me. Suprisingly I liked the taste when i was drinking it.

So is this lactose intollerance?
    I'm not sure what the rest of your diet looks like, but if you're a vegetarian living off greens and legumes (cooked in an iron pan), and you suddenly hit your system with liquid fat (whole milk), there will be issues.

From what I've seen from friends who have it, though, this does not immediately signal "lactose intolerance" to me. If you want to include dairy in your diet and have not habitually done so in years, work it in slowly. In the interim, you can get chewable calcium supplements.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I'm not sure what the rest of your diet looks like, but if you're a vegetarian living off greens and legumes (cooked in an iron pan), and you suddenly hit your system with liquid fat (whole milk), there will be issues.

From what I've seen from friends who have it, though, this does not immediately signal "lactose intolerance" to me. If you want to include dairy in your diet and have not habitually done so in years, work it in slowly. In the interim, you can get chewable calcium supplements.
    i eat chicken and fish
    just no red meat

im ocd about what i eat...i eat almost the same exact meals every day

Does Ice Cream do it too? I have LI so...yeah cheese doesnt bother me...but pure milk or ice cream really do a number on me

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_lupine06 View Post
    Does Ice Cream do it too? I have LI so...yeah cheese doesnt bother me...but pure milk or ice cream really do a number on me
    i love ice cream

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_lupine06 View Post
    So ice cream doesnt affect you ?
    yup and im very thankfull...

that milk was like horrible today...my friend felt my forehead and said i was burning up

is that a symptom? im unfamiliar with this stuff

You seem bent on this being lactose intolerance. ... After thinking about this for a few minutes, I can appreciate that, because LI is something that you hear about and can manage.

Take the (Pepsi) Milk Challenge.

Emphasis is placed, as in my post, on removing fat from the equation:

It is important for the milk that is used to be non-fat milk to eliminate the possibility that fat in the milk is the cause of symptoms.
    Last edited by h3g3l; 06-Jun-2009 at 00:35. Reason: Second bit in first paragraph.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    You seem bent on this being lactose intolerance.

Take the (Pepsi) Milk Challenge.

Emphasis is placed, as in my post, on removing fat from the equation:
    thats a good idea
    i know what im doing tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by curiousitykitten View Post
    thats a good idea
    i know what im doing tomorrow
    Agreed.

I'm hoping that this is a reaction to the sudden cascade of fat (with whole milk, or even 2%) on top of a diet that doesn't usually include much.

How to put this delicately ... I ... I'd watch your next elimination (#2). If it's greasy, I'd chalk it up to your system not being used to that much fat in the one go. But, still, the Milk Challenge should give you a better indication of what's going on.