Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Novels of all time

Default Favorite Novels of all time

K,

I am an avid reader, and I think I've finally narrowed down my favorite fictional novels of all time. Stephen King's The Stand, and The Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy.

I remember reading both of those years ago in high school and for some reason I LOVE to sit back, and re-read those books from time to time. It's fun to imagine a post-apocalyptic America following a Superflu outbreak, and it's fun to imagine the nuclear explosion at a fictional Super Bowl.

I prefer books that make me think. I prefer novels that make me think about how times have changed, and history has changed as well. I think that's why I'm fond of those two novels.

Does anyone else here have novels that make them think, or that they re-read a lot.

WildThing121675

The Stand is definitely one of my favorite novels. I've read it three times. I love it.

The Grapes of Wrath and The Catcher in the Rye are another two of my favorites. They made me think and experience from a different point of view.

And probably my all-time favorite is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I could read that book over and over again. I love reading about space and anti-gravity battles and hardcore things like that, haha.

I'm hooked on some series'

The Alex Rider Series - Anthony Horowitz
    The "Young James Bond" series - Charlie Higson

and of course, the classics:
    Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling
    Lord Of The Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

Peter Wright's Spycatcher. True story about the spy ring broken up in MI-5. Banned from publication in England under the Official Secrets Act, etc.

Good read, brilliantly written.

Asher

For a graphic novel (if that is to be considered in this category), I would say Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Very well illustrated and an excellent story to say the least, and it details life in the revolution-torn Iran in the 1970's with great vividness.

As for a regular novel, I am not sure if I could ever give absolute certainty to just one novel. There have been so many great novels throughout history. However, I would say that my favorite of all time is Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Just the story alone is a reason enough that it is one of the greatest novels of all time (in my opinion though). : )

- Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    For a graphic novel (if that is to be considered in this category), I would say Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Very well illustrated and an excellent story to say the least, and it details life in the revolution-torn Iran in the 1970's with great vividness.
    I've seen the movie adapted from the graphic novel, and it was fascinating.

The stand is definitely a good one. I really enjoy the Dune series, but my favorite books are the ones that most dont like, the 4th through 6th in the series where he gets pretty deep into politics, religion, power, and influence.

I also really loved a series by Jane Auel called Earths Children