Thread: plastic pants

Default plastic pants

Two weeks ago I bought a pair of Small adult plastic pants from ebay Australia, it is a Leakmaster Pullon Vinyl Pants - Small - Milky White

so I'm all happy and excited with buying my first item off an internet store (I've never bought from the internet before, besides steam) and it being plastic pants (which by the way are probably 1 or 2 centimetres to big, as they don't feel tight and even leaked a little bit when I soaked my drynites, and Tena comfort (bought these by mistake).

so I think that they are pretty, but arrived in around 14 days instead of the described 7-10 days.

so i got home and my mom said I had mail (she opened it), so i took it to my room and tried them on, first flooding a Drynites (leaked into plastic pants and the pee went past the plastic pants and a bit on my pants, maybe there a bit to big, but they're size Small, so tell me are plastic pants supposed to leak easy?)

Considering plastic pants are meant to retain leaks, the fact yours are leaking on you would suggest they aren't doing their job!

Yelling at them won't get them motivated to work either.

hehe thanks lukie, Peachy said I would grow into them and I guess I will.
    other than that, they feel great =^_^=

i like the pizza idea, but i think i will have to buy a extra-small pair?

Wear extra-thick diapers instead. That makes your butt bigger too to fill out those slightly oversized plastic pants. Of course you're still welcome to have a pizza every now and again!

Peach is right. But also, watch when you sit. With overly small or tight plp's when you sit, the upper thigh muscles bunch and you get indentations in the muscle creating a gap between the leg elastic (which stays elliptical) and the thigh: and leaks occur. Also, sitting on a full diaper squishes it like a sponge, releasing liquid from the gel; this will run down the plastic shell, which is hydrophylic to varying degrees. Some plp's are made of material which gets an even coating of moisture all over, and ends up feeling greasy; on others the moisture beads; and the beads of water coalesce into large droplets which will run down the wall of the plastic, and wriggle out of small spaces at the leg hole. Make sure the plp's have a wide crotch and forward-facing legs, not side facing. More expensive but much better at preventing leg leaks.

??? ???

Also, the elastic is usually within absorbent cloth which will absorb moisture, oversoak, and exude whatever it can no longer soak up.

Here is a bit on wetting, and wetting agents.

Wetting is the ability of a liquid to maintain contact with a solid surface, resulting from intermolecular interactions when the two are brought together. The degree of wetting (wettability) is determined by a force balance between adhesive and cohesive forces.

Wetting is important in the bonding or adherence of two materials. Wetting and the surface forces that control wetting are also responsible for other related effects, including so-called capillary effects.

Adhesive forces between a liquid and solid cause a liquid drop to spread across the surface. Cohesive forces within the liquid cause the drop to ball up and avoid contact with the surface.

Wetting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use cloth covering over disposables to prevent leaks. I like the cloth effect, anyway; but a partially full disp can leak when sat on or flooded; the cloth wicks well and soaks not only fast, but without the pooling problems caused by gel block.

Disposable Diapers - Chemistry Encyclopedia - History, Polymer Chemistry, New Advances, Controversy

Basically the super absorbant polymer (sap) wicks poorly, with little capillary action. Unlike a sponge or celery stalk, it doesn't "suck up" liquid; the liquid will soak into it if in contact. The fluff turns into a gel. But the gel is not water permeable; so water must flow over the gelled sap to find unsoaked fluff. This liquid can go elsewhere, particularly out of leg holes. Cloth inside a disp will help disperse the liquid , which can then soak into the sap at its leisure.

The shape of the plp and size are key to leak prevention. It is not that the brand you got is poor, it may be that it doesn't fit you well. Oh - another thing about over-small ones, you'll get stress cracking at the seams, and especially at the leg-elastic stitching. Also the pull on the stitch holes widens those holes, sometimes invisibly but enough to allow leaks. I find a comfortable fit, as loose as possible while still snug prevents leaks best.

You could try a premade cloth "training pant" with its multi-layered cloth; they usually have very strong elastic; wear this over the disp (with or without holes cut into the crotch plastic backing then plp's over this: utter joy and leak-free confidence. shows forward facing legs and has much info on sizing and fitting.
    Last edited by Raccoon; 03-Jun-2009 at 19:00.