Thread: Tamil Tigers

Default Tamil Tigers

I was looking at their wiki page and heard in the news that they surrendered a while back. Was it a formal (Treaty if Versallies) style surrender? I also saw the list of casulties of thier last offensive 14,000 dead in 14 days, this has to be one of the largest military offensives of the 21st Century, yes?

What are your opinions on this?
    Last edited by diaperedteenager; 03-Jun-2009 at 01:01. Reason: Spelling

Darkfinn

My opinion is that you should learn how to use the spellchecker.

Thanks!

Yeah, the group formally laid down its arms. The leader admitted defeat in an email, of all things. In a way, its kind of sad. For all the Tigers did wrong, they did quite a few positive things for the people of their territory. Plus, the Tamil minority is really treated like crap.

It was a 'there's no room left for us. Anywhere. And our leader is dead.' style surrender. There wasn't a table, and maps. Some Tamils will probably take the fight back to the cities, to be honest. And tens of thousands (about 80k Tigers, as well as a huge number of civilians) have died over the last twenty six years, but I don't know about 14k in two weeks. There were very few left--they occupied a space of about 300m^2 in the final days. I'm not sure it can be considered an offensive of the 21st century, as it was the conclusion of a decades-long civil war. Tremendous numbers of civilians died, but it's not a patch on some estimates of deaths in Iraq (600k, by a measure in the Lancet a couple of years back). As near as I can tell from the Wiki page you mentioned, it was 14k *civilians* *wounded*, not 14k soldiers killed. There's a massive difference there. But yes, it was an enormous military operation. The real tragedy is the number of civilian casualties who were caught in the crossfire.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    Yeah, the group formally laid down its arms. The leader admitted defeat in an email, of all things. In a way, its kind of sad. For all the Tigers did wrong, they did quite a few positive things for the people of their territory. Plus, the Tamil minority is really treated like crap.
    Perhaps with regards to the people in their territory, until those people got caught in the crossfire and died in droves. Or were you referring to the ethnic cleansing, human rights violations, or their proclivity for enlisting child soldiers? How about their strong arm tactics in forcing the diaspora to fund their violent acts? It frequently amounts to extortion. I'm not sure we can take a few positive acts and balance them with the terror and disturbance they maintained for more than twenty years. I mean, sure, they had a police force and judicial system, but Sri Lanka had both as it was. The reason the territory needed a police force was the LTTE attacks.

Perhaps the ethnic Sinhalese majority has oppressed the Tamils, yet the Tamils engaged in ferocious, indiscriminate attacks on civilians time and time again. These eventually resulted in untold pain and suffering for the people of their territory. I'm not sure there is anyone in the right here: certainly not the Tigers, nor (arguably) the Sri Lankan military who killed so many civilians in the process of putting the Tamils down.
    Last edited by Mingus; 03-Jun-2009 at 02:18. Reason: Merge