Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't my mom stop b****ing about computer parts when I pay rent, etc :(

Default Why can't my mom stop b****ing about computer parts when I pay rent, etc :(

Why does my mom b***h about how me buying computer parts with MY money is a waste? I mean I don't do anything else, this is my life and that's all I care about. I pay her rent and help with bills so why f**ken get so pissed when I buy what I want She goes out and buys shoes, clothes, etc, etc for herself so why can't I do that with my computers

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Why does my mom b***h about how me buying computer parts with MY money is a waste? I mean I don't do anything else, this is my life and that's all I care about. I pay her rent and help with bills so why f**ken get so pissed when I buy what I want She goes out and buys shoes, clothes, etc, etc for herself so why can't I do that with my computers
    Because she still sees you for a large role that you're playing: her child living at home.

The fact that you pay rent doesn't enter into her mind. It's her domain. The quickest (and best) way to a happy end is to move out and stand on your own two feet. Pay rent to someone else.

Thing is once I move out that's it, I'm out lol. I can't find no where as cheap as home you know. There's rent, insurance, etc, etc, etc, etc. I pay a solid $425/mo here and the internet bills. Once I move out I'll have NO money left each month. I don't make but like $10/hr and I still have to support my computer hobby, or life I mean.

Thing is once I move out that's it, I'm out lol. I can't find no where as cheap as home you know. There's rent, insurance, etc, etc, etc, etc. I pay a solid $425/mo here and the internet bills. Once I move out I'll have NO money left each month. I don't make but like $10/hr and I still have to support my computer hobby, or life I mean.
    Dang money!

I stand by my gut feeling that your mom still sees the house as her domain. Hopefully, though, others will weigh in with thoughts and suggestions that could be helpful.

Darkfinn

Gotta love parents that think they can tell you what to do with your money. My mother was that way too... until one summer when I got fed up with it and not-too-sweetly pointed out that I was working more hours in a week than she was, and that I would do what I damn well pleased with my hard earned cash.

Eventually you get to a point where you have to put your foot down and let them know that it is YOUR money and YOUR life. As long as the bills are paid you can spend the remainder however you wish.

You basically admitted right there that your computer parts are a waste of money. You won't be able to buy them once you are out on your own, but you need to learn your priorities. Sure you have the luxury now of buying things that you want, but I hope you have some money saved up in case you have to move out. You need to set your priorities straight and realize that your computer hobby doesn't come in the same priority line as paying your rent.

Luckily my own mother never got on my back about money. Maybe because I was a money saver because I am so obsessed about money.

I barely make enough money to buy anything (4/Hour - which in London won't get you much) So I'm happy with just saving it up little by little until I can eventually get a new guitar which will pay for itself in the future gigs i get over the course of THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Your mum is basically pissed at you because you are buying computer parts, which she obviously views as either childish things, or useless, when she doesn't realise how profitable they can be. I mean, building a computer saves SO much money if you go for top quality (my mate made a 4 terabyte Computer, with 4GB RAM and top end graphics card/processor etc. and payed only 200 more than I did for an average computer)

If you're REALLY good, you could make and sell top quality computers for a hefty profit, whilst still out-pricing all leading sellers, like PC World. If your mum sees/ understands that potential I think she will pretty much never bother you again on buying computer parts

Quote Originally Posted by wannabesissybaby92 View Post
    which she obviously views as either childish things
    If she thinks they're childish...PFFFFT

It's a hobby yes, but I also build them and buy parts all the time since I work with computers daily. My job is a video editor, so I'm always looking out for things that could make my job easier, etc. And right now I figure I'll go ahead and get all the stuff I could ever need and when I move out I at least have all the stuff I need to do a job. And yes, I do save some money now. I put about $350 back into savings each month, well every 2 weeks when I'm paid. So, sometimes I don't get to spend anything on parts, others I get to spend around $300ish in parts. I know what I'm doing with my cash.

I do pay rent, internet, cable, phone, and part of the light bill. Though, I do get to write all of that off on my taxes lol.