Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 albums of the 90s?

Default Your top 10 albums of the 90s?

We're nearing the end of the 2000s, and it occurs to me that I would have a tough time putting together a top 10 albums of this past decade that wasn't littered with White Stripes albums from top to bottom.

So let's take it back a decade and come up with my top 10 from the 90s.

1. "Nevermind" by Nirvana. The obvious choice, but...really, go back and listen again. There's not a bad track. It was the right album at the right time for just about everyone.

2. "Fantastic Planet" by Failure. This is the band that many of your favorite bands love. Check this album out if you're not hip to it. A Perfect Circle covered their song "The Nurse That Loved Me" and ruined it.

3. "Illmatic" by Nas. I love Biggie, but he never put an album together like this. Jazz creates the bridge between old school and new school rap. Amazing.

4. "Ten" by Pearl Jam. I don't like this album as much as I did back then. I wish it didn't sound so dated to me, but it's just...a little too close to the hair band stuff I loathe.

5. "Blind Melon" by Blind Melon. The perfect album at the perfect time in my life. Getting into drugs, screwing up my life, and trying to put the pieces back together. I only wanted to be 16 and free...indeed.

6. "Rage Against The Machine" by RATM. A lot of people liked "Evil Empire" better than this album, but...nope. This is the one for me. Outstanding.

7. "Dirt" by Alice in Chains. This one should be higher, so...I'm gonna say now that these are in no particular order, because I've been up all night and don't have the energy to fix it. Another perfect album.

8. "OK Computer" by Radiohead. Oh my god, what a great album. I used to listen to this while playing Final Fantasy VII. That was how I spent 6 months of my life, pretty much every day.

9. "Mellow Gold" by Beck. Probably my favorite album of all time, which just goes to show how tired I am that it's the ninth album I thought of.

10. "Siamese Dream" by Smashing Pumpkins. Just...perfect. This was the album, not "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness." Trust me on this if you haven't heard it.

---------------

Honorable mentions: "Whip Smart" by Liz Phair, "Weezer" by Weezer, "Ready to Die" by the Notorious BIG, "Dummy" by Portishead, "Automatic for the People" by REM (which I am struggling to not put in the top 10 right now), anything released by Elliott Smith in the 90s, "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre, "The Downward Spiral" by NIN (which I'm also struggling with), "In Utero" and "Unplugged" by Nirvana, "Vs." by Pearl Jam, "Metallica" by Metallica, "What's the Story Morning Glory" by Oasis, "Superunknown" by Soundgarden, "Dust" by Screaming Trees...I know a lot of albums, I guess. Okay. Maybe I need a top 25. lol

My Top 10 Albums of the 1990s were those that I bought that came out in the 1980s.

*sigh*

Let's see here ... *opens up iTunes*

The Close-Enough-to-Ten List:
    • Disciplined Breakdown (Collective Soul);
    • Beautiful Freak (Eels);
    • Metallica (Metallica);
    • Cryptic Writings (Megadeth);
    • Astro-Creep: 2000 (White Zombie);
    • Becoming X (Sneaker Pimps);
    • Throwing Copper (Live);
    • The Rhythm of the Saints (Paul Simon);
    • Deluxe (Better Than Ezra);
    • Give Happyhead (Happyhead);
    • The Fat of the Land (Prodigy)

Honorable Mentions:
    • Gravity Kills (Gravity Kills);
    • Republica (Republica);
    • Exit Planet Dust (The Chemical Brothers);
    • Bloody Kisses (Type O Negative);
    • Bringing Down the Horse (Wallflowers);
    • Flood (They Might Be Giants);
    • You and Me Both (Yaz);
    • Cereal Killer Soundtrack (Green Jelly/Jello);
    • Beggar on a Beach of Gold (Mike & the Mechanics)

I can't put them in any specific order.

Darkest Days by Stabbing Westward
    Epic by Faith No More
    Self-titled by Prick
    The Mortal Kombat soundtrack
    River of Dreams by Billy Joel
    Angst by KMFDM
    Sehnsuct by Rammstein
    The Great Milenko by ICP
    Cyberpunk by Billy Idol
    Standing on a Beach by The Cure (This is a single collection, and most of the songs were written before the 90s, but this was released in '97, and happens to be my favorite collection).

I actually hate most of the music that was pioneered in the 90s, which is one of the reasons why it was a little difficult for me to develop this list. It's my belief that the 90s were sandwiched between two immensely influential decades of music (the 1980s and the early 2000s), and that the 90s itself did not actually have much to offer to mainstream music. The alternative/grunge/whatever-the-fuck-you-want-to-call-it movements of the 90s did nothing to appeal to me, and how they honestly appealed to so many others is beyond me.

(By the way, h3g3l, it makes me really happy to see albums like those by Prodigy and Gravity Kills on your list! Those were some great albums, and they bring back a lot of good memories!)
    Last edited by Dawes; 31-May-2009 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    (By the way, h3g3l, it makes me really happy to see albums like those by Prodigy and Gravity Kills on your list! Those were some great albums, and they bring back a lot of good memories!)
    Glad I could make you smile... For the record, I really do have quite diverse taste in music. I would have listed off the Alan Parsons Project CDs that were released in the 1990s, but I prefer the "classic" Alan Parsons songs better and was out of room anyway.

Incidentally, I thought that Epic was released in the 1980s. I say this because the song by that name was already creating outrage (with the flopping goldfish scene) in the late 1980s, if my memory serves. Either way, you just can't beat a video with an exploding piano. Unless, of course, it is Let Forever Be by The Chemical Brothers.

Oh, one more thing: seeing Dawes's description of the 1990s as a (non-)musical decade spurred me to make a comment here that I was going to make originally but didn't:

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    1. "Nevermind" by Nirvana. The obvious choice, but...really, go back and listen again. There's not a bad track. It was the right album at the right time for just about everyone.
    Except for a guy named Kurt.

haha...yeah, it was definitely ill-timed for Kurt.

You guys brought up two more that I love..."Flood" by TMBG and "The Real Thing" by Faith No More...I don't know where I'd put them. Top 25, I say. lol

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Incidentally, I thought that Epic was released in the 1980s. I say this because the song by that name was already creating outrage (with the flopping goldfish scene) in the late 1980s, if my memory serves. Either way, you just can't beat a video with an exploding piano. Unless, of course, it is Let Forever Be by The Chemical Brothers.
    Humorously enough, I put the album title as Epic and not The Real Thing. I'm a moron! You're right, though, h3g3l -- I looked it up and it looks to be that it was released in 1989. I always associated it with an early 90s thing. Maybe I can defend my dumbass mistake by saying that it didn't get popular until the 90s! ^ ^ Album had some great, great songs on it, and I can't imagine where I'd be now were it not for my obsession with Mike Patton for the following ten years.

As for Kurt Cobain, that's a debate waiting to happen. ;D I never personally experienced any of his musical influence -- I thought Nirvana was boring-ass bullshit drivel. Who am I to say that he wasn't influential? Probably nobody, but I never saw him as anything more than an overblown rock n' roll frontman (not icon) that had no self-control.

Wow...1989. Weird. I thought it was 1990. Well, then I'll give them "Angel Dust," which is another great album.

First off: balancedchaos, you have an excellent taste in music. As for me (in no particular order):

1. Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipe Out (1999)
    2. Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
    3. bob hund - Omslag: Martin Kann (1996)
    4. bob hund - Jag rear ut min själ! Allt skall bort!!! (1998)
    5. Nirvana - In Utero (1993)
    6. Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)
    7. Nirvana - Intesticide (1992)
    8. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine (1992)
    9. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998)
    10. Suburban Rhythm - Suburban Rhythm (1997)

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    Wow...1989. Weird. I thought it was 1990. Well, then I'll give them "Angel Dust," which is another great album.
    Angel Dust really was outstanding. I always got the feeling that The Real Thing was them still in the process of shaking off Mosley's shittacularness, and then Angel Dust was them finally embracing Patton. He began doing a lot of his really strange stuff on that album, and that's what really defines Faith No More to me, I think.

i'm glad to see 'OK Computer' is pretty consistent on the lists here ..

i'd have to add the 'Use Your Illusion I/II' by Guns N' Roses records. and +LiVE+'s 'Throwing Copper' is up there on my list, too.