We're nearing the end of the 2000s, and it occurs to me that I would have a tough time putting together a top 10 albums of this past decade that wasn't littered with White Stripes albums from top to bottom.
So let's take it back a decade and come up with my top 10 from the 90s.
1. "Nevermind" by Nirvana. The obvious choice, but...really, go back and listen again. There's not a bad track. It was the right album at the right time for just about everyone.
2. "Fantastic Planet" by Failure. This is the band that many of your favorite bands love. Check this album out if you're not hip to it. A Perfect Circle covered their song "The Nurse That Loved Me" and ruined it.
3. "Illmatic" by Nas. I love Biggie, but he never put an album together like this. Jazz creates the bridge between old school and new school rap. Amazing.
4. "Ten" by Pearl Jam. I don't like this album as much as I did back then. I wish it didn't sound so dated to me, but it's just...a little too close to the hair band stuff I loathe.
5. "Blind Melon" by Blind Melon. The perfect album at the perfect time in my life. Getting into drugs, screwing up my life, and trying to put the pieces back together. I only wanted to be 16 and free...indeed.
6. "Rage Against The Machine" by RATM. A lot of people liked "Evil Empire" better than this album, but...nope. This is the one for me. Outstanding.
7. "Dirt" by Alice in Chains. This one should be higher, so...I'm gonna say now that these are in no particular order, because I've been up all night and don't have the energy to fix it. Another perfect album.
8. "OK Computer" by Radiohead. Oh my god, what a great album. I used to listen to this while playing Final Fantasy VII. That was how I spent 6 months of my life, pretty much every day.
9. "Mellow Gold" by Beck. Probably my favorite album of all time, which just goes to show how tired I am that it's the ninth album I thought of.
10. "Siamese Dream" by Smashing Pumpkins. Just...perfect. This was the album, not "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness." Trust me on this if you haven't heard it.
Honorable mentions: "Whip Smart" by Liz Phair, "Weezer" by Weezer, "Ready to Die" by the Notorious BIG, "Dummy" by Portishead, "Automatic for the People" by REM (which I am struggling to not put in the top 10 right now), anything released by Elliott Smith in the 90s, "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre, "The Downward Spiral" by NIN (which I'm also struggling with), "In Utero" and "Unplugged" by Nirvana, "Vs." by Pearl Jam, "Metallica" by Metallica, "What's the Story Morning Glory" by Oasis, "Superunknown" by Soundgarden, "Dust" by Screaming Trees...I know a lot of albums, I guess. Okay. Maybe I need a top 25. lol