Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PETA boycotts maple syrup in order to protect the baby seals

Default PETA boycotts maple syrup in order to protect the baby seals

PETA calls boycott on Canadian maple syrup: Rutland Herald Online
    lol

For today's demonstration, a PETA member will whack a six-foot bottle of maple syrup with a hakapik, which is the weapon used to kill baby seals. The intention is to puncture the bottle and release the blood-red contents inside. On the bottle will be a label featuring a maple leaf dripping blood next to the tagline, "Stop the Seal Slaughter."
    I'm not sure what opponents of the seal hunt are against. Is it killing the seals themselves? Or the fact that we use hakapiks instead of guns? The hakapik certainly is scary lookin (a large club with a nail sticking out of it), but also much more humane for the animals than guns would be. Hakapiks are also safer for hunters than guns are, because out on the ice flows stray bullets can go virtually any direction.

And ya, I like animals. I'm all for protecting animals. But hunting is still a very large part of human culture. And seal hunting is no different. Why should seals be protected? Because they're cute? (also: baby seals are illegal to hunt in canada)

But enough of that.

For the 2010 olympics, in protest against the EU's ban of canadian seal products (but not of russia's or greenland's or norway's), all Canadian athletes will have at least one portion of their uniform made out of seal product. This I don't agree with.

wait, WHAT? O.o

What does maple syrup have to do with clubbing seals? or am I missing something. ( like using baby seals to hammer the spouts into the trees, or whatever )

The intention is to puncture the bottle and release the blood-red contents inside.
    That's it.

I'm heading up there with a six-foot high stack of pancakes.

Mmm ... pancakes.

This reminds me of a joke I heard in TF2... "A baby seal walked into a club".

Anyways this whole thing is even more insane then the crew on a shop called the Steve Irwin. You can see the mental hospital that has a lack of doctors and nurses on a show called Whale Wars coming on in a week or two on animal plant. :P

(I know I'll be watching it, since it's funny as hell)

Darkfinn

Damn... and I always prefer syrup on my sealcakes. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    That's it.

I'm heading up there with a six-foot high stack of pancakes.

Mmm ... pancakes.
    Gosh H3g3l, you are so smart =O How Dooo you Doooo it??

You uh- you got any pancakes you can share? Buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    wait, WHAT? O.o

What does maple syrup have to do with clubbing seals? or am I missing something. ( like using baby seals to hammer the spouts into the trees, or whatever )
    Nothing. It's like they went "Hey! I don't like this canadian seal hunt thing, and maple syrup is also canadian, so..."

It'd be like boycotting condoms in protest of cutting down old growth forests.

I hate PETA they are the most useless organization ever.

I respect and support the whole animal rights thing.
    But PETA takes it a bit too far.