Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cocaine found in red bull cola.

Default Cocaine found in red bull cola.

SF Health News Examiner: More than wings? Red Bull banned over cocaine fears

What's everyone think, should red bull cola be pulled or is this just an overreaction?

It all depends on who's red bull they found coke in.....but it will not be the first time cocaine was used in a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    It all depends on who's red bull they found coke in.....but it will not be the first time cocaine was used in a drink.
    Well many colas including Coca Cola use coco leaves as flavoring still, but is required by law to remove the cocaine alkaloid before shipping the leaves.

So they are violating the law by having any cocaine present.

Darkfinn

Personally I think it is more media sensationalism and hype. It's 0.4 micrograms per Liter for cryin out loud. Do you know how many liters you would have to drink to get an effect?

Even better question... how many micrograms/L of Cocaine or Heroin or perscription drugs are in your drinking water? We all know the cleaning/filtration process doesn't get all that stuff out... especially if you are in a big city.

I've got to agree with Darkfinn. If it had any coke, I think it would have been pulled a long time ago, but who knows. It will be interesting to see what happens, however. Of course years ago, cocaine was a legal substance in the U.S. and a lot of products had it in its contents. That must have been an interesting world!

Peachy

My state pulled the plug on Red Bull Coke, so the newspaper had a short article on stores taking that stuff off the shelf. The store owners said that the stuff never sold well and that they wouldn't have restocked the shelves anyway.

Peachy

This is stupid. It doesn't have enough cocaine to do anything at all. I don't think it's even possible to drink enough for it to have any effect, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    This is stupid. It doesn't have enough cocaine to do anything at all. I don't think it's even possible to drink enough for it to have any effect, is it?
    Another article about this said it was something like 12,000 litres to have any cocaine like effect.

EDIT:

According to this analysis, the 0.13 micrograms of cocaine per can of the drink does not pose a serious health threat — you'd have to drink 12,000 L of Red Bull Cola for negative effects to be felt — but it was enough to cause concern

If there's no health threats whatsoever, I see no rational reason to stop selling it. Seems silly to me.