Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Default What are you reading?

Simple enough question: what book are you reading right now and what do you think of it? The searchamatron reveals a similar thread posted way back when but it's closed now.

I'm reading The Autumn of the Patriarch by Gabriel García Márquez at the moment. It's about the eternal dictator of some hundreds of years of an unspecified country and the effects of power and such. It's of Márquez's typical magic realist style and is basically allegorical to the Latin American dictators around the time it was written.

I'm a fan of his and loved One Hundren Years of Solitude, but I'm finding this one a little harder going. It's very dense and a bit all over the place, which is kind of his usual style, but it's been a little bit of an obstacle for me to really get into the book and I've found it difficult to give it the proper concentration I do when I'm really enjoying a novel. I'll stick with it though, as I hate leaving a book unfinished.

Not sure what will be next but I'm thinking about a change of pace with some P.G Woodhouse or maybe even Terry Pratchett.

Continuing in my books I should have read, but haven't saga, I'm currently reading The Catcher in the Rye. It's goddam good.
    Only just started it though, so no further rating.

The Catcher in the Rye is one of the best books I've ever read. I hope you enjoy it, Charlie!

Right now, I'm reading Water for Elephants, which is an outstanding story that involves life in a depression-era traveling circus, and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown ... you know, the one the movie is based off of!

I love Catcher in the Rye...I'm not reading any books at the moment though...

The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson, so far its pretty good. It suprised me how different it is from his other works e.g. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, but its nice to see an other side of him and see that he can actually do different type of books and not just ones about his crazy adventuers with drugs!

soren456

My signature usually says what I'm reading and what I've just finished.

I emphasize Pleasure in it because it is what I'm doing beyond required school reading, which isn't always a pleasure. (I will be a college junior in the fall.)

I'm about to start The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Continuing in my books I should have read, but haven't saga, I'm currently reading The Catcher in the Rye. It's goddam good.
    Only just started it though, so no further rating.
    One of my favorite books, especially since I had a psychotic break my senior year in college. I also had one when I was in 7th grade, so believe me, I could relate to Holden. I still wonder where the ducks go in the winter.

Right now I'm reading the first Harry Potter book, Sorcerer's Stone. I'm reading it for the mechanics, seeing how she handles dialogue as well as her pacing. I'm interested in how she advances the plot, going from one event to the next. I also want to see how she developes her characters. This is because I'm writing a book. I probably have 40 or 50 pages so far.

In addition to that I'm also reading "The Writing Life" by Annie Dillard, and then will probably read "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" which she wrote at Holland's College here in Virginia.

I got bored with Catcher in the Rye... just him floating around New York, being young and lost and "crazy" (sorry takes more crazy than that to interest me...)

Currently reading 'Haunted' by Kelley Armstrong... it was leant to me with assurances it contained (some) erotica-for-girls...

soren456

Quote Originally Posted by Mugiwara View Post
    The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson, so far its pretty good. It suprised me how different it is from his other works e.g. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, but its nice to see an other side of him and see that he can actually do different type of books and not just ones about his crazy adventuers with drugs!
    I had no idea he wrote a novel. I'll get it.

A point of history: My dad told me how he read Hunter Thompson installment-by-installment in The Rolling Stone while he was in college. He said he used to look forward to finding the newest issue on the newsstand so that he could see if Thompson had written something new. (Along with other writers he liked.)

Asher

Right now, I'm reading Manhunt by James Swanson, and I have to say that it is a pretty good read.

Dogboy: That's awesome that you are writing a book. What's it about?

- Asher