Thread: I hope this isn't too long.

Darkfinn

Thumbs up I hope this isn't too long.

Well... with all the staff and "regulars" making new intro threads I figure I might as well explain a bit of myself.

For those who are interested... or those who are new and don't know.

Out in the real world I'm a hard working 25 year old. I consider myself a "self made man"... I don't have a lot of stuff, but I love the few cool things I do have, and I put a lot of work into them. I'm a solitary kind of guy... I'd rather spend my time at home reading or playing games or just hanging out. I am an only child and had a really sheltered childhood... so I tend to be the quiet guy that hangs back when in a crowd. I have a small group of friends that I hang out with from time to time... but they always see more of eachother than they do of me.

I'm a thinker... a planner... a "mastermind" if you will. I'm not much for spontaneous action, everything needs to be laid out and calculated before I act... and I do have a plan B and plan C for when things go awry. I can jump right into something if the situation absolutely calls for it... but I'm always more comfortable when I know what is going to happen in advance.

Friends jokingly call me MacGuyver... I'm the go-to guy when you need a creative solution to something using the parts on hand. I try to live by the old scout motto "Be Prepared"... so I always have a knife in my pocket, and a set of pliars and a few screwdrivers close at hand. Need to take something apart or fix something on the spot... I'm your man.

I am currently employed by a small wireless communications equipment reseller. I work shipping, returns, and e-bay sales. It's certainly not glamouros... but I enjoy it and it pays the bills. Monday - Friday 8-6... typical office type job. I spend 2/3 of my day in the office at my desk... answering phones, handling e-mails, and processing orders. The other 1/3 is spent out in our warehouse checking items and helping pack and ship orders. I have become decently knowledgable when it comes to the equipment we sell, and a big part of my job involves helping our salesmen find creative and reliable solutions for our customers using the equipment we have in stock. It involves a lot of quick thinking and a bit of creative engineering... and it gives me a lot of satisfaction.

I like beer... all kinds of beer. I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I do enjoy coming in from work and knocking back a few cold ones. I also like food... specificly meat, potatoes, and cheese. Spicy... anything spicy will interest me. I enjoy cooking a nice meal when I get the opportunity... steaks, chicken alfredo, BBQ pork chops, delicious tacos. Sadly none of this has helped my weight any. I'm not fat... only 175lbs... let's just say I'm well fed.

I love cars... all kinds of cars. I spend a lot of time to reading car magazines and books, I go online all the time to look up specs and stats on all the newest models. Point to a vehicle going down the road... and I'll tell you who makes it, how fast it is, any "interesting" features, the relative fuel economy, and a ballpark price. If you are looking to purchase a car... talk to me first, I'll save you time and money. I enjoy tinkering and "tuning" on all sorts of vehicles to make them perform better. From your everyday family grocery getter to your V8 muscle car, if you want it to do what it does better I can tell you how.

My rule when it comes to cars I own is that I can't drive anything run of the mill or ordinary. My car is mine... and will not be easily confused with anyone elses. When I'm out cruising around, the responce I'm looking for from folks is "You don't see that every day." I currently have two cars... a bright red 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS that I've turned into a 240hp sleeper, and a black-on-black 1990 Chevrolet Beretta GTZ that is a fun and interesting daily driver. I've posted more on those vehicles elsewhere.

I'm also a bit of a pirate. I enjoy bending the rules and living a bit outside the lines. Nothing rediculously illegal... but I will act if the opportunity presents itself. I have a deep fastination with all things nautical... and I enjoy reading and watching movies about the golden age of sail, when men were men and the sea was vast and dangerous. I enjoy boats and the water... and I've been sailing a few times. I will definately be doing more of it... when I can afford it.

Politically I guess you'd call me a Liberal Democrat. I believe that the rich are only concerned with getting richer... and that most of them have sold their souls and the future of this nation in the quest to make a buck. I proudly cast my vote for Obama and I believe that he is doing the right thing. People will hate him for it... but drastic action is what we need to get this country on the right track again.

Spiritually I am a Christian... but I don't believe in structured religion. I go to church and I see a lot of hypocrites standing around and playing to make themselves look better to their peers. In my opinion religion has been the #1 spreader of disease and death throughout history... it closes minds and hardens hearts... and in a shrinking world the last thing we need is less tolerance.

I am completely obsessed with diapers... have been all my life. I think about them all the time, I love comparing them, I've sampled every brand that I can get my hands on in my eternal quest for something better. I can give you pointers on what to try... I prefer disposables, but I do have some cloth ones for certain occasions. As far as I have been able to determine I was a bit late in the potty training department... and it sure didn't stick long. I got back into diapers when I was 12... and I've worn them at nearly every opportunity since then.

I have been wearing 24/7 for about 14 months now... and yes, my control has been affected. I prefer not to mess in them, but it does happen. Right now I'm using mainly Bambinos, but I do have a stock of Abri-form Extras, Attends, and Depends for when situations call for them. I have told a few folks outside the AB/DL community that I am in diapers... they assume it is for medical reasons... and I'm not going to tell them differently.

On ADISC I tend to be very opinionated and can be hot tempered. I speak my mind... and I know there are plenty of folks who don't agree with what I have to say. But if you stop and think about it... you have to admit that I do make some very soild points. I tend to be the Devil's Advocate around here... I will call you out if I think you are BSing, and I will inject my opinion even if it is not welcome. I try not to argue for the sake of argument... but don't get me started if you don't want me to finish.

Oh, and I have the most wonderful girlfriend in the whole world. She's on here as LuvsGurl and is a willing and happy participant in my(our) diapered lifestyle. We've been together for what seems like forever, and I don't know where I'd be without her. Though if you want to know her full story... you'll have to ask her.

Thanks for reading... I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post

Out in the real world I'm a hard working 25 year old.
    Never had any doubt of that.

I consider myself a "self made man"... I don't have a lot of stuff, but I love the few cool things I do have, and I put a lot of work into them.
    What are your favorites? BOAST YE!!

I'm a thinker... a planner... a "mastermind" if you will. I'm not much for spontaneous action, everything needs to be laid out and calculated before I act... and I do have a plan B and plan C for when things go awry. I can jump right into something if the situation absolutely calls for it... but I'm always more comfortable when I know what is going to happen in advance.

Friends jokingly call me MacGuyver... I'm the go-to guy when you need a creative solution to something using the parts on hand. I try to live by the old scout motto "Be Prepared"... so I always have a knife in my pocket, and a set of pliars and a few screwdrivers close at hand. Need to take something apart or fix something on the spot... I'm your man.
    So you would appreciate

I like beer... all kinds of beer.
    The porters, stouts, bitters, ales?

I love cars... all kinds of cars. I spend a lot of time to reading car magazines and books, I go online all the time to look up specs and stats on all the newest models. Point to a vehicle going down the road... and I'll tell you who makes it, how fast it is, any "interesting" features, the relative fuel economy, and a ballpark price.
    . That was me in my youth, with the R & T, C & D, Motortrend subscriptions... But my fave was a British thing called simply "Car" which not only had the best car photography anywhere, but was not afraid to insult bad models I still remember their review of the Reliant Robin:"Cops call 'em plastic pigs. We agree."

I'm also a bit of a pirate. I enjoy bending the rules and living a bit outside the lines. Nothing rediculously illegal...
    Whereas I have lived by the rule, "You don't break the rules, you USE the rules. Said that to a tax auditor and he glared filthy looks back at me... Once you understand a system it is there for your fun and profit.

Like when I was on welfare, way way back in my dark days, I resented their rule that you should have to declare refunds on the bottles you cashed in as "income." Goddammit, it is a refund on a DEPOSIT; you are not making money, you are being repaid a loan. So did I refuse to declare my refunds? Did I hell. I submitted receipts: 60 cents, $1.05, 45 cents, ... 5 cents... knowing each receipt had to be opened, reviewed, entered, subtracted from my benefits, stamped, restamped, filed and indexed... - they got the message. I got a phone call saying "Stoppit." And they never brought it up again.

I was in a class-action lawsuit and the lawyers handling the settlement stopped returning my phone calls over some of the finer points of it. So I popped round to my local MLA's office, spoke to the girl volunteering there, explained to her what a class action was, and had her call the lawyers; *poke* - they called right back. (MLA = Member of the Legislative Assembly = the provincial government.)

Politically I guess you'd call me a Liberal Democrat. I believe that the rich are only concerned with getting richer... and that most of them have sold their souls and the future of this nation in the quest to make a buck. I proudly cast my vote for Obama and I believe that he is doing the right thing. People will hate him for it... but drastic action is what we need to get this country on the right track again.
    Yay. While I am quite sure we don't perfectly agree on many things (nobody perfectly agrees with Raccoon on anything) we are probably closer than I would have guessed. I don't yell "Eat the rich!" like many of the friends I've had, for example. I think being rich is a fine thing and would like to experience it.

Spiritually I am a Christian... but I don't believe in structured religion.
    This is a Darkfinn I didn't know - and I approve wholeheartedly.

I go to church and I see a lot of hypocrites standing around and playing to make themselves look better to their peers. In my opinion religion has been the #1 spreader of disease and death throughout history... it closes minds and hardens hearts... and in a shrinking world the last thing we need is less tolerance.
    I see the positive role religion can play in peoples' lives, as well as the bad it can bring. It is not a matter of religion good/bad, it is a matter of lots of religious types doing it wrong. (But do they appreciate Raccoon pointing out the error of their ways? Nooo.)

For instance I dislike certain positions of the Vatican (say, on condoms) but really like the archdiocese of Edmonton, (on its attitude toward helping the poor.) I like most things about the Bahai faith, but not its attitude toward gays. (Disapproval though not outright hate. mostly.)

Which reminds me: who was that TBDL member who wore a suit of condoms to school, and was sent straight back home??

I am completely obsessed with diapers... have been all my life. I think about them all the time, I love comparing them, I've sampled every brand that I can get my hands on in my eternal quest for something better. I can give you pointers on what to try... I prefer disposables, but I do have some cloth ones for certain occasions.
    Whereas I prefer cloth/plp; but this is a matter of taste.

On ADISC I tend to be very opinionated and can be hot tempered. I speak my mind...
    Really? You don't say. Please cite examples.

Oh, and I have the most wonderful girlfriend in the whole world. She's on here as LuvsGurl
    Yeah she is pretty wonderful, and smart too. Smart chicks float my boat. I still think about her post #72 wherever it was where she proposed replacing -rep with post-reporting...
    Last edited by Raccoon; 26-May-2009 at 07:59.

I don't know you much yet, but this definitely makes me want to more. I had already figured out that your posts were always at least worth a read or a chuckle in my short time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Well... with all the staff and "regulars" making new intro threads I figure I might as well explain a bit of myself.

For those who are interested... or those who are new and don't know.

Out in the real world I'm a hard working 25 year old. I consider myself a "self made man"... I don't have a lot of stuff, but I love the few cool things I do have, and I put a lot of work into them.
    I too am "self-made" as I came from a working family that was able to give me a good home and great parents, but little else in the financial sense. Feels good to know that you deserve everything you have and then some, not the other way around.

I don't make hard set plans, I just study contingencies. I tend to live life like a chess game, with an overall goal, and an ever-evolving, but nearly infinite set of possible moves to get there. People think I'm weird because I can usually tell them at just about any time where all the cameras are in the building :P I perhaps try to be a little overly observant at times.

Friends jokingly call me MacGuyver... I'm the go-to guy when you need a creative solution to something using the parts on hand. I try to live by the old scout motto "Be Prepared"... so I always have a knife in my pocket, and a set of pliars and a few screwdrivers close at hand. Need to take something apart or fix something on the spot... I'm your man
    I am an engineer by training and trade, and I constantly love to do what my friends and colleagues call "going mcguyvering". I love solving a problem in the simplest fashion. Occam's Razor holds true for most things. By the way, does that motto imply you were a scout? I was a pretty big nerd and have my eagle and all that jazz, so jut curious.

I like beer... all kinds of beer. I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I do enjoy coming in from work and knocking back a few cold ones. I also like food... specificly meat, potatoes, and cheese. Spicy... anything spicy will interest me. I enjoy cooking a nice meal when I get the opportunity... steaks, chicken alfredo, BBQ pork chops, delicious tacos. Sadly none of this has helped my weight any. I'm not fat... only 175lbs... let's just say I'm well fed.
    My only response to beer is: Yes please.

I love cars... all kinds of cars. I spend a lot of time to reading car magazines and books, I go online all the time to look up specs and stats on all the newest models. Point to a vehicle going down the road... and I'll tell you who makes it, how fast it is, any "interesting" features, the relative fuel economy, and a ballpark price.
    I love cars, especially force fed small displacement cars. There is nothing quite like the face of some cocky corvette driver as he watches his $70,000 toy get walked on the street by a 2.5L turbo econobox.

I'm also a bit of a pirate. I enjoy bending the rules and living a bit outside the lines. Nothing rediculously illegal... but I will act if the opportunity presents itself.
    I got in trouble a lot in college for hosting IRC zero hour file dumps

Politically I guess you'd call me a Liberal Democrat. I believe that the rich are only concerned with getting richer... and that most of them have sold their souls and the future of this nation in the quest to make a buck.
    I would identify myself as an independent just because I don't like being placed in a box, however I tend to lean towards a more liberal interpretation of things. That said, I was raised in the deep south and it can be hard to leave some predispositions behind. My life's puzzle has been to seamlessly mate the cold, harsh and analytical part of my mind with my softer, fuzzy edged emotional side.

Spiritually I am a Christian... but I don't believe in structured religion. I go to church and I see a lot of hypocrites standing around and playing to make themselves look better to their peers. In my opinion religion has been the #1 spreader of disease and death throughout history... it closes minds and hardens hearts... and in a shrinking world the last thing we need is less tolerance.
    I still haven't figured the whole religion thing out totally. I love reading anything and everything about it though. Knowledge is power. I was raised in a religious school, so I have spent most of my life in and around it.

I am completely obsessed with diapers... have been all my life. I think about them all the time, I love comparing them, I've sampled every brand that I can get my hands on in my eternal quest for something better. I can give you pointers on what to try... I prefer disposables, but I do have some cloth ones for certain occasions. As far as I have been able to determine I was a bit late in the potty training department... and it sure didn't stick long. I got back into diapers when I was 12... and I've worn them at nearly every opportunity since then.

I have been wearing 24/7 for about 14 months now... and yes, my control has been affected. I prefer not to mess in them, but it does happen. Right now I'm using mainly Bambinos, but I do have a stock of Abri-form Extras, Attends, and Depends for when situations call for them. I have told a few folks outside the AB/DL community that I am in diapers... they assume it is for medical reasons... and I'm not going to tell them differently.
    I love diapers I can't even be around diapers of any sort without checking them out for quality and features. I love studying the sample baby diapers and wishing that the adult manufacturers would produce some products that match them in design and quality.

I've often wondered how the telling an outsider thing would go. I have some pretty different friends who have all seen some pretty wacky shit, so I don't think I'd really be throwing them too much of a curve ball. That said I still fear how it would be perceived, since they tend to be a somewhat testosterone driven crowd at times.

On ADISC I tend to be very opinionated and can be hot tempered. I speak my mind...
    I like straight shooters.

Oh, and I have the most wonderful girlfriend in the whole world. She's on here as LuvsGurl and is a willing and happy participant in my(our) diapered lifestyle. We've been together for what seems like forever, and I don't know where I'd be without her. Though if you want to know her full story... you'll have to ask her.
    Pretty jealous of you here. I love my wife, but she is very vanilla and has some hangups in the "being open minded about sexuality" department. So for now this is, just as it always was, my little secret hobby.

Well done, that man. Excellent return post; it says much about you, and all of it good. http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html state

I got in trouble a lot in college for hosting IRC zero hour file dumps
    is funny and i don't even know what a zero hour file dump is. Please explain. */me sits back, clasps hands, in anticipation of a good story.*

Most pithy on-topic contribution ever:

Hooray beer!

That is all.

Darkfinn

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjeff View Post
    By the way, does that motto imply you were a scout? I was a pretty big nerd and have my eagle and all that jazz, so jut curious.
    I was in scouts for several years, was Patrol Leader but never bothered to get past First Class in rank. By the time I hit high school I was too busy with JROTC, CAP, and working 20+hrs/week (40+ in the summer) to put much energy into scouts. The promotions and merit badges I got in scouts were actually all tied to my work in JROTC and CAP. For me scouting was more about going camping and hiking and canoeing and etc with my friends.

Darkfinn

I'll drink some wine every now and then... but liquor makes me sick, so I have to stay away from it.

I'm primarily a beer guy.

There was always a little thrill in wearing to a "drink til the first person pees for free" promotion that a local bar would do once a month where I went to school. I love just about anything with the word beer on it, but I really love summer blonde types and a good spicy october ale every now and again.

Darkfinn

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjeff View Post
    There was always a little thrill in wearing to a "drink til the first person pees for free" promotion that a local bar would do once a month where I went to school.
    Haha... never been to a bar that did that... too bad really.