Thread: Backup Howto/FAQ/Overview (Windows-orientated)

Default Backup Howto/FAQ/Overview (Windows-orientated)

The key to a successful backup is getting a copy of your data off your hard drive. Focus on protecting your personal files like letters, projects, photos, music, and other essential data.

Deciding what to back up is highly personal. Anything you cannot replace easily should be at the top of your list. Before you get started, make a checklist of files to back up. This will help you determine what to back up, and also give you a reference list in the event you need to retrieve a backed-up file. Here are some file suggestions to get you started:

* Bank records and other financial information
    * Digital photographs
    * Software
    * Music
    * Personal projects
    * Your e-mail address book
    * Bookmarks

Don't try to copy programs like Microsoft Word, etc - they can be reinstalled from the original CDs. Likewise, the operating system software - Windows itself and any software provided by your computer maker - can usually be recovered from the installation or System Restore CDs that came with the computer.

An easy method

A simple backup in Windows XP requires no special software or skills. To copy a file or folder, just right-click on it and select Copy from the pop-up menu that appears. Choose the disk or drive where you want to store the duplicate copy, right-click again, and then select Paste from the pop-up menu.

You can also copy files in other (95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, 2003) Windows operating systems using a drag-and-drop method - hold down the right mouse button while dragging a file or folder, then select Copy Here from the pop-up menu that appears.

Your e-mail messages and address book list can be exported and then backed up along with other personal data. This process varies depending on which e-mail software is used on your computer.

How often should you back up your data? It depends on your abilities, your personal needs, and the importance of your computer's files.

There are various ways to automate backing up your data. The new release of Mac OS X, 10.5 Leopard can be used as an example by its Time Machine utility. Time Machine can be configured to automatically backup your data at a time that is convenient to you. Most people tend to set this automatic schedule to an early morning hour, so that the backup process doesn't get in their way.

Some Backup Utilities:

Traditional file backup programs:

Disk image backup programs:

Auxiliary tools & utilities:
    • Zip Folders Windows XP/ME built-in support for Zip files.
    • WinRar A powerful archiving tool.
    • WinZip The most popular Zip utility for Windows.
    • InCD UDF packet writing software for CD/DVD drives.
    • DLA (Drive Letter Access) Free UDF packet writing driver for CD/DVD recording drives.

I have a question. I run Windows Vista and they said I'm supposed to create the installation CD myself, how the hell do I do that?

EDIT: Okay, I found a thingie on Acer Management, I can create a full backup but how can I remove unnecessary files from the backup? For example, It'd be better if I could only create a backup of the necessary, basic files that were installed from the beginning.

That's a good question... Honestly, I don't know how they can expect you to do that. It's their software for crying out loud.

Read my previous edit. xD

I just had to look at the Empowering Technology Management menu and I found it.

I personally do not know, I have never used any Acer computer, nevermind one with Vista. There should be ways to, I'm sure Google would come up with something.

If I stumble across anything, I'll keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSunDS View Post
    I have a question. I run Windows Vista and they said I'm supposed to create the installation CD myself, how the hell do I do that?
    I Find this highly annoying. Bust mostly, all you do is put a blank DVD-r In the computer and follow he intrustions. This Is really your Windows install disc. This most likely will not cover your personal data. I mean, Its pennies to include the disc themsleves, and lest people to employ for telephone support.

Once the Disc is burnt, maybe tryig Vlite. I do not have the time to look at the moment. But I am guessing it would have a similar $0EM$ directory you can just delete. However, this may get rid of some of your drivers. But they should be easy to get off the net though.

Wow... I just made the whole Acer Factory Default Disc thing... Took me 11 CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSunDS View Post
    Wow... I just made the whole Acer Factory Default Disc thing... Took me 11 CDs.
    CDs? I thought They'll just Reject it and ask for a DVDr. I would of used two DVDrs. Less chance if one goes missing or becomes unreadable for whatever reason. Oh well, Just keep those CDs in a secure place.

Very good tutorial, but since I have multiple partitions (and hard drives), everything is split into "subjects" of sorts. I have one hard drive for music and videos, another for downloads, another for VMware files, etc, etc.

If I ever have to fully backup the system, I use Comodo Backup.
    But I eventually want to build a RAID 0+1 array, so backup won't really be necessary.