Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360

Default Xbox 360

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I have a life thank you very much..

But, no I don't have a 360 yet mainly since it seems all of the games I want for it will be out on the PC at some point.
    I share the outcome (not having a 360) with Fire2box, but for different reasons. Most of the games for the 360 seem to be either sports or FPS* related. Hence my reason for not having one.

Then the other day in Best Buy, I saw a Rockband setup.

Now I'm considering getting one, but I have reservations about their QA/QC and RRoD status.

I think the question I'm after here is two-fold (okay, I lied, three-fold):
    (a) There *are* more games for the 360 than just sports and FPS games, right? There must be, I'm sure of it.
    (b) X-Box Live or whatever: This means that I can play with other real people over the Internet, correct? Is there a monthly charge for this, or is it something like battle.net (free)?
    (c) Reliability: Have they solved their issues with (IIRC) heat-sinks that were just too small and/or airflow that was insufficient? The last thing I want is to buy something and have it die on me. I am very good with my hardware, and expect it to last for pretty much as long as I have use for it.

*I do have a soft-spot for the GTA series. I loves me some mayhem!

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    (a) There *are* more games for the 360 than just sports and FPS games, right? There must be, I'm sure of it.

Yes they do, GTA:IV is one of those games!!

Plus, the new game based off a classic 80's movie, Ghostbusters, is due out soon & from what I read & heard about it, it should be a very good game!!

With me, I love Zombie games, so one's like Dead Rising & Left for Dead are great & look great on the 360!!

PS3 has more than just FPS games (though it could use more... actually all the systems could!). They also don't make you pay to play online (Xbox Live is like $5-$10 a month, not sure exactly) and the system is much more reliable. It also has Rock Band and GTA4. I have both systems myself (and a Wii too), but I prefer the PS3 over the 360 for those reasons. The one feature that's rare on the PS3 though is the ability to play your own music in games. Only certain games allow it.

Just consider both of them and pick the one that seems better to you.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post

(b) X-Box Live or whatever: This means that I can play with other real people over the Internet, correct? Is there a monthly charge for this, or is it something like battle.net (free)?
    (c) Reliability: Have they solved their issues with (IIRC) heat-sinks that were just too small and/or airflow that was insufficient? The last thing I want is to buy something and have it die on me. I am very good with my hardware, and expect it to last for pretty much as long as I have use for it.

a) Yes there are, but they do remain a majority.

b) Yes you do have to pay (utterly scandelous I know) but it is about $8 per month, or $60 for a year.

c) Sorry no they have not, they still overheat, and they the reliability of the new models has plummeted (and don't bother attacking me with 'oh you just like the PS3' and crap like that, because the xbox reliability really blows), how do you think that they are so cheap? Your best bet would be to buy a secondhand one at least a year old.

And the new GTA is epically brilliant, and the graphics are sexually good.

But on a clear note - please do seriously consider the PS3, remember it is a Blu-Ray player as well and you only have to pay for the games

1. There are plenty of games other than FPS. FPS just seems to be what more people enjoy, so supply and demand takes effect. Some other non-FPS games are Banjo Kazooie, Saints Row (1 & 2), GTA 4, Assassin's Creed, Guitar Hero/Rock Band, and some others I can't think of.

2. You can still go online and get downloads for games without having to pay (that's what they call the regular 'Silver' membership). If you would like to play online with other, you'll have to pay. You can get cards for different months (like 3 months, 6, or 12. The 12 month usually comes with an extra month free). You can even find those cards on sale in stores sometimes. You can also pay online. Also, for some downloads, you might have to pay for them, and this is were their 'Microsoft Points' thing comes in. You can get cards for those like the membership, or pay online, and then you can buy add ons for games, movies, tv shows, Xbox original games, etc.

3. I've never had a problem with my Xbox overheating or RRoDing, and I've had it for many years. I believe if you system does RRoD, their warranty will cover it, and I think they extended it not too long ago. I don't know about the more recent ones, but I know mine is kind of loud with the fan going on, but it's never overheated, and you don't hear it when you get into your game.

I don't have time to play games online, so I wouldn't bother with the Xbox Live because of that. I am rather busy but if I do get a system, I'd get a 360 before I pay 400 bucks for a PS3. I marketed those the other day at Wal-Mart, and there is NO WAY I'm paying 400 bucks for a system.

WildThing121675

Darkfinn

I have a 360 and enjoy it... but I find the selection of games to be somewhat dismal. How many different ways can you walk through the environment and kill everything in sight? I played the Halo trilogy and was plesantly entertained... but other than that there aren't any FPS that appeal to me. IMO there are way too many FPS games out there... we need more variety.

I do enjoy some of the RPGs... Oblivion and Fable II are wonderful, deep, and detailed. I've got a few "simulation" games too... Star Trek Legacy and etc.

My #1 weakness is street racing games. NFS Most Wanted and Undercover are both pretty darn good, but recently I've been playing Import Tuner Challenge, which is a bit arcadeish... but it provides hours of fun just driving around the Tokyo highways and racing other tuners that you happen to run into. Win, get money, mod car, go race again. No cops to worry about... so it's just you and your opponents. It reminds me a lot of NFS Underground II.

Oh... and before I forget... Civilizations: Revolution is quite entertaining and challenging as well. It's as close to Age of Empires as I've seen a console get.

There are a ton of non-sports and non-FPS games for the 360. And XBox Live has a lot of new features. It can interact with your computer, it can dowload movies, and now you can link your Netflix acount to it and download any movie Netflix has available for instant download-about 50,000. It's instant, and you can dowload as many as you want and save them in your qeue.

As for games, Xbox has Fable. Possibly the most addictiing console game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by harris View Post
    As for games, Xbox has Fable. Possibly the most addictiing console game ever.
    I agree, I have fable 2 and it is very addictive ^_^ I can play it like all day long.

I hope to get a 360 for graduation and I think that it has a good game library, better then when it first came out.