Did you feel discriminated too?

Standa789

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
Always, when i compare adult vs. baby diaper market, i am really angry, because i notice, that there is big discrimination against adults in global diaper market.

There are examples, what i consider unfair to us, adults:

Comfort:

Almost all baby diapers have elastic wings, so they are far more comfortable and have good fit.

Most of adult diapers lacks ANY elasticity. It mean, that they NEVER fit comfortably. Always are too loose, or too tight, but NEVER comfortable.

Absorbency:

I tested just Pampers. But from test available on YouTube IT looks, that Huggies have even greater absorbency.

In my test, Pampers was able to hold 13ml per 1g od their weight.

Seni optima trio medium - 10ml/1g
Tena slip maxi medium - 9ml/1g
Tena flex maxi! medium - cca 8ml/1g
Tena pants maxi medium - 10ml/1g

Only Molicare premium elastic was comparable to Pampers with agility to hold 12,8ml/g, but newer version Is less absorbent: 11,4 ml/g.

Price:

When i count, that adult M size diapers can be bigger 3 times than baby diaper size 6, baby diapers are with their price comparable to belted adult diapers like Tena flex. But baby diapers are for this price still more comfortable.

Availability:

There is big diference. Baby diapers are available just ANYWHERE!

When you are adult needing diapers on trip to anywhere and your luggage is lost, your nightmare starting and will end after few days of just surviving with pack of Pampers of biggest size or mad searching of Medical supply store instead od enjoying your trip. Your trip is ruined, because on airport are boutiques selling tons of bullsh*ts, but no adult diapers.

Laws:

Buy good adult diapers JUST NOW! IMEDIATELLY! you can't, like any mom can take Pampers in nearest store, BUT when you will urinate in public, you will be fined, arrested, jailed, or even put on sex offender list.

You are legally allowed just to wet your pants and go to the hotel on your legs. Go long, mocking journey, because you will be probably rejected from any sort of transport.

Acceptance/Stigma

Baby diapers are openly promoted, considered just normal, without any stigma.

Adult diapers are still considered as shame, always hidden even in pharmacies, and if you are not elderly or seriously disabled, you will Always, like adult wearing diapers, will be seen as some weirdo.

Look:

Everybody know, that baby diapers looks so good in compare adult. Huggies with their Mickey mouse are JUST awesome!

But for me personally, it doesnt matter. I Always wear underwear over my diaper. I rather pay lees for diaper without pictures, than add some $ for licensed characters on them.

And worst to the end:

Many manufacturers of adult diapers make too baby diapers, for example Abena (bambo nature), Kimberly Clark Depends (Huggies), Tena (Libero).

And their production for babies Is ALWAYS BETTER, than their products for adults.

What the f**k they cannot make this samé, good diapers, what they make for babies, too in adult size?

What the f**k they MUST produce especially for adults products of worse quality?

Why? I dont unsterdand it!

It really insults me!

Its like telling you: Babies will grow up and will be healthy, productive persons, so they are more important than you, because YOU AREE DISABLED, UNPRODUCTIVE ADULT, YOU DONT MATTER! JUST GO AWAY AND DIE!

What do you think?

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you’re venting or what. A lot of your post makes no sense.

Nope not really the market dictates whats available not discrimination. Niche products exist for this very reason and you can find plenty of options maybe not exactly what you like but that can be used in a pinch.

Also you rant is incomprehensible in parts. You may want to reread it and edit it as right now it's hard to actually see what you are trying to say.

I get the general points you are trying to make. Maybe English isn't your first language, but thats beside the point. Adult diapers have branched into two kinds. Store brands, and online brands. The store brands have absolutely gone downhill. This is probably because most incontinent people only have dribbles, (stress incontinence). Most people don't want or need 8 hour protection. That leaves online brands to pick up the slack for heavy incontinence and abdl. We are the minority, and the big brand names do what is profitable. Right now, the profit for them is to market towards light incontinence, and making underwear rather than diapers. The online brands make diapers, and despite not having the big money, they have innovated quite well. Magnifico is perhaps as good a replica of baby diapers as you can get. Me personally, I like all plastic diapers, especially Confidry. I have no complaints. 8 hours per diaper, and almost zero leaks. They never sag or loosen either. So while I hear you, I disagree. There ARE good adult diapers, very good ones, just not from store brands.

This whole thing is basically: the law doesn't work that way, the rant.

No one is entitled to a company catering to them. It sucks if you have a want that no one has an interest in providing, but it's not discrimination.

Babies and incontinent people are very different. Same goes for baby diapers and adult diapers. You're only thinking of yourself (being abdl).

Marketing is very different between the two. Baby diapers are marketed to be cute, relevant to the world of a baby, prints are add-ons and aren't really serving a purpose. Adult diapers are about discretion, and plain because the typical incontinent adults DO NOT want "Mickey Mouse" on their diapers, and since adult diaper companies try to attract hospitals and insurance companies, and have to adhere to laws and regulations, and they're usually made to be cheaper because of that. Here in the US, immobile adults in hospitals and nursing homes are required to be changed X amount of times per day due to health regulations with in X amount of time. Usually to keep bacteria away from the skin.

Adult diapers have a larger absorbency zone that uses more pulp to help urine travel through the diaper, baby diapers are smaller and they use more SAP than pulp. That's why they absorb more per gram. Also babies and incontinent people are different in urinary outputs. Babies flood while incontinent adults usually tend to dribble. Also incontinent adults would rather not sit in a pee soaked diaper because they think it's disgusting and rather change as often as possible. Just like babies are changed as often as possible.

Baby diapers have several sizes to fit a very narrow range of babies and toddlers.
It would be very expensive for adult diaper manufacturers to make more sizes of diapers for adults. Some adult diaper companies have elastic waistbands or side panels, you just need to look around.

Adult diaper manufacturers don't give a damn about us because we are such a small demographic that there's no real profit to invest in us and they're not emotionally bound to serve your needs as an ABDL.

Every single baby out there needs diapers, that's why they're available everywhere. They significantly outnumber incontinent adults. Most adults don't need diapers, they only need pads or pullups and don't need a full thick diaper.

Adult diapers are more expensive because they use a lot more material than a baby diaper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I talk too from my personal opinion on typical 4 tape adult diapers. I used them first year of wearing and i remember, how it was imposible to get with them good fit. I am just not friend 4tapes diapers.

Of course, i looked for more suitable diapers. I tried seni optima trio medium. It fit me better, but still not very snuggy. I looked for another product.

And i found Molicare premium elastic. Its real copy of modern baby diapers. When i tried them, i feeled BIG difference. It had good, snug fit, but not tight. It was first COMFORTABLE diaper.

I tried both, clasiccal adult diapers and modern ,,baby" (Molicare premium elastic) diapers too. So i know, how much better these ,,baby" fit.

Molicare premium elastic is only one product of this type in czech market. But now, after few years, popularity of them still rapidly grow.

Except this weak glue on sides, which sometimes results in ripping on the back, where are wings glued to back, its very decent product with great absorbency and comfort.

I don't feel discriminated about this either. I'm more bothered that there's not a lot of good quality diapers and pull-ups for those who actually need them. They are always TOP priority in my mind.

This is the law of the market, the day when there will be as many AB / TB / DL than baby then Manufacturers will pay more attention to this market :)

Short answer, no. It isn't discrimination, only market demand. The vast majority of "normal" adults still believe diapers are embarrasing should be avoided at almost any cost- or at the very least kept as thin as possible for a preceived discreteness (which we know better).

As for being underserved as abdl's, that's the least has ever been. That's because our numbers and recognition is the highest it has ever been. We actually do have online companies that really are providing what we want. It's our own market demand, which is also growing. If you honestly think it's so bad right now then you have no idea how bad it was even just 10 years ago. Let alone 25, or 50+.

As for why baby diapers are better and far cheaper. They have whats called an economy of scale, otherwise known as mass production. Those companies are also so big they can afford massive R&D investements. The abdl community just hasn't been that big. I do see we are starting to get big though. There are some physical stores, but more importantly bigger online companies like Northshore and ABU which have been able to drive better R&D. So no, not discrimination more like a smaller and slower implimentation due to the previous/current lack of market demand.

Reactions: Lewis Badger
You are not being discriminated against.

It seems to me, what Standa did was to test dry baby diapers for how much they weighed, then put water on them, and said, "For the weight of the diaper, the Mickey Mouse held most, so why can't ours, (He's on here as IC.) hold as much for their weight?"

I don't think he wants Mickey on his diapers. I don't speak Czech, and he doesn't speak English, so I don't know.

Standa, part of the issue, is that, let's say stretchy wings worked for incontinent people. We'll never know, because most IC people want to be so far from thought of as babies, even if it worked better, and was more comfortable, they wouldn't want it, because it's on baby diapers. For that, among other reasons, the technology of adult diapers lags behind. Something about having legitimate problems with the muscles responsible for popping or peeing, make them feel like failures. Guys, does anyone know, is the bambino ultra stretch, or magnifico, available in the Czech Republic? How about ABU, in general? Is the Fab Sense City? Not babyish, and at least it's a print.

As others have said, this isn't discrimination it's market forces, and you are entirely free to start your own diaper company making the perfect diaper of your dreams - if you are right you'll quickly become a millionaire.

However, as is so often the case, the general public have no concept of just how hard, complicated, expensive and risky it is to bring a commercial product to market.

I can see your point, to a point. There’s millions more baby’s out there than there is ABDL’s/ IC Adults. Is being incontinent a disability? Yes, but can be a somewhat hidden one. Your not going to get a disabled tag just because of it.

As far as products available, like it’s been said, there is a LOT more quality products available in today’s market than there was even just 10 years ago. There’s even a GREAT medical supply company that doesn’t shun the ABDL sector as being weirdos. And, in the grand scheme of things, it still is a very niche market overall.

I don't feel discriminated against any more than any other time an interest of mine that isn't common doesn't get a lot of attention. It's natural; there's nothing sinister about it. It might be nice to have a vast array of ABDL products available but they'd be sitting unbought on the shelves and the companies that depended on them would go out of business.

I don't feel discriminated, but just accept the situation as it is. There is just a bigger market for baby diapers - so what?

Yes I think adult diapers should be available anywhere like baby diapers are. Talk about disability discrimination on incontinence.

In some countries like Mexico, you can find adult diapers anywhere. If I had bought some at the airport there, I could have easily changed at the Denver airport and not be stuck in a messy diaper when I got diarrhea due to being sick. But the problem was my family was with and I was too embarrassed to buy any and have my brothers and their friends see me buying them.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, the OP is incontinent. He isn't some ABDL that wants to wear diapers.

He just wants a good reliable diaper to be available anywhere to make life easier for him like everyone else. People who are incontinent like him probably understand the challenges he is talking about because they can't just not wear diapers until they get more.

- - - Updated - - -

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
It seems to me, what Standa did was to test dry baby diapers for how much they weighed, then put water on them, and said, "For the weight of the diaper, the Mickey Mouse held most, so why can't ours, (He's on here as IC.) hold as much for their weight?"

I don't think he wants Mickey on his diapers. I don't speak Czech, and he doesn't speak English, so I don't know.

Standa, part of the issue, is that, let's say stretchy wings worked for incontinent people. We'll never know, because most IC people want to be so far from thought of as babies, even if it worked better, and was more comfortable, they wouldn't want it, because it's on baby diapers. For that, among other reasons, the technology of adult diapers lags behind. Something about having legitimate problems with the muscles responsible for popping or peeing, make them feel like failures. Guys, does anyone know, is the bambino ultra stretch, or magnifico, available in the Czech Republic? How about ABU, in general? Is the Fab Sense City? Not babyish, and at least it's a print.

Some companies are actually starting to make a reliable adult diaper like Northshore Care is. In the past IC people have had to turn to ABDL companies because they made good reliable diapers than hold a lot and ANDL companies would also make plain diapers as well because of the demand from their IC customers wanting plain diapers. They didn't want prints on theirs but were only buying them because of how practical they were.

In the past it was only Europe who seemed to make very good adult diapers that worked a lot like baby diapers while the US ones sucked. Then ABDL companies here started to have them imported to their company for us to buy them and then US companies started to make their own practical adult diapers and now some none ABlDL companies are making practical adult diapers now that work like baby diapers. But sadly when you travel, you can't just stop at a store and get some more adult diapers. As a IC person, you better bring enough diapers and make sure you will be at a hotel when you order more and have them get shipped there even if it means paying $50 in shipping for over night so they are there the next day, even if you have to stay an extra day at the hotel to wait for your shipment.

So there is lot of demand from IC people that do want a good diaper because it's about dignity and wanting to live a normal life. They would also want to go all day and not worry about finding a place to change. But if not enough of them are making that request for good diapers, then companies won't do it due to low demand because still too many IC people are not wanting a good diaper they can wear all day because they prefer to change whenever they wet or willing to go through a bunch of pull ups a day because they hate diapers so much.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Babies and incontinent people are very different. Same goes for baby diapers and adult diapers. You're only thinking of yourself (being abdl).

Marketing is very different between the two. Baby diapers are marketed to be cute, relevant to the world of a baby, prints are add-ons and aren't really serving a purpose. Adult diapers are about discretion, and plain because the typical incontinent adults DO NOT want "Mickey Mouse" on their diapers, and since adult diaper companies try to attract hospitals and insurance companies, and have to adhere to laws and regulations, and they're usually made to be cheaper because of that. Here in the US, immobile adults in hospitals and nursing homes are required to be changed X amount of times per day due to health regulations with in X amount of time. Usually to keep bacteria away from the skin.

Adult diapers have a larger absorbency zone that uses more pulp to help urine travel through the diaper, baby diapers are smaller and they use more SAP than pulp. That's why they absorb more per gram. Also babies and incontinent people are different in urinary outputs. Babies flood while incontinent adults usually tend to dribble. Also incontinent adults would rather not sit in a pee soaked diaper because they think it's disgusting and rather change as often as possible. Just like babies are changed as often as possible.

Baby diapers have several sizes to fit a very narrow range of babies and toddlers.
It would be very expensive for adult diaper manufacturers to make more sizes of diapers for adults. Some adult diaper companies have elastic waistbands or side panels, you just need to look around.

Adult diaper manufacturers don't give a damn about us because we are such a small demographic that there's no real profit to invest in us and they're not emotionally bound to serve your needs as an ABDL.

Every single baby out there needs diapers, that's why they're available everywhere. They significantly outnumber incontinent adults. Most adults don't need diapers, they only need pads or pullups and don't need a full thick diaper.

Adult diapers are more expensive because they use a lot more material than a baby diaper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Actually recent statistics proclaim that the adult diaper market is increasing more than the market for baby diapers.
So we may see more options available to us, who need to wear adult diapers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calico said:
Yes I think adult diapers should be available anywhere like baby diapers are. Talk about disability discrimination on incontinence.

In some countries like Mexico, you can find adult diapers anywhere. If I had bought some at the airport there, I could have easily changed at the Denver airport and not be stuck in a messy diaper when I got diarrhea due to being sick. But the problem was my family was with and I was too embarrassed to buy any and have my brothers and their friends see me buying them.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, the OP is incontinent. He isn't some ABDL that wants to wear diapers.

He just wants a good reliable diaper to be available anywhere to make life easier for him like everyone else. People who are incontinent like him probably understand the challenges he is talking about because they can't just not wear diapers until they get more.

- - - Updated - - -

Some companies are actually starting to make a reliable adult diaper like Northshore Care is. In the past IC people have had to turn to ABDL companies because they made good reliable diapers than hold a lot and ANDL companies would also make plain diapers as well because of the demand from their IC customers wanting plain diapers. They didn't want prints on theirs but were only buying them because of how practical they were.

In the past it was only Europe who seemed to make very good adult diapers that worked a lot like baby diapers while the US ones sucked. Then ABDL companies here started to have them imported to their company for us to buy them and then US companies started to make their own practical adult diapers and now some none ABlDL companies are making practical adult diapers now that work like baby diapers. But sadly when you travel, you can't just stop at a store and get some more adult diapers. As a IC person, you better bring enough diapers and make sure you will be at a hotel when you order more and have them get shipped there even if it means paying $50 in shipping for over night so they are there the next day, even if you have to stay an extra day at the hotel to wait for your shipment.

So there is lot of demand from IC people that do want a good diaper because it's about dignity and wanting to live a normal life. They would also want to go all day and not worry about finding a place to change. But if not enough of them are making that request for good diapers, then companies won't do it due to low demand because still too many IC people are not wanting a good diaper they can wear all day because they prefer to change whenever they wet or willing to go through a bunch of pull ups a day because they hate diapers so much.

Uh, you do know adult diapers ARE available everywhere baby diapers are. Right? Now yes those diapers suck, but it IS what the vast majority of consumers actually want on those shelves (mostly baby boomers). That isn't discrimination, it's market demand.

Slomo said:
Uh, you do know adult diapers ARE available everywhere baby diapers are. Right? Now yes those diapers suck, but it IS what the vast majority of consumers actually want on those shelves (mostly baby boomers). That isn't discrimination, it's market demand.

No they are not. Every airport I have been to and most store I go to. There are no tab style briefs lot of the times, only pads or pull ups. That is not enough absorbency for someone with complete loss of bladder control. Plus I have never been to any airport or a small convenience store where they were selling adult diapers.

That is what the OP was complaining about. Anyone out there that is wanting to lose bladder control, they need to check their continent privilege and consider this here.

Back