Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WEP Cracking, need help....

Default WEP Cracking, need help....

The reasons for it are completly legal. Trying to recover a key for a router that has been shot at ( yes, shot at ) and the reset button doesn't work on it, due to being shot off.. anyone know a program that can recover and tell me the key to this router?

Lol...

And it needs to be freeware..

I don't know how this thing still works, but it does, the neighbor wants me to help her connect a new computer to it but she can't access it except by ethernet, and the router's program is in DOS so I'm not sure how to modify it... so I'd like to crack the key

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    The reasons for it are completly legal. Trying to recover a key for a router that has been shot at ( yes, shot at ) and the reset button doesn't work on it, due to being shot off.. anyone know a program that can recover and tell me the key to this router?

Lol...

And it needs to be freeware..

I don't know how this thing still works, but it does, the neighbor wants me to help her connect a new computer to it but she can't access it except by ethernet, and the router's program is in DOS so I'm not sure how to modify it... so I'd like to crack the key
    You should look into a serial port connection. Most routers (I assume this is a SOHO unit) do have a provision for a DB9<->RJ45 dongle acting as a console cable.

Could you simplify for me? Sorry I have absolutly no idea what you are talking about...

I know DB9 and RJ45 but everything else is...

Oh, her new computer is an Athlon x 2 2.4ghz, 2Gb RAM, running Vista Home Premium..

I don't know if relevant but the program if anyone finds one would have to work with Vista... I'm afraid to search because most of these programs are trojans or something..
    Last edited by Peachy; 21-May-2009 at 21:27. Reason: merging double post - please use "edit" button

What is the make and model of the router in question?

That'll help us get the ball rolling.

You could also, I suppose, short the reset switch contacts together, even without the physical switch in place.

Darkfinn

Dude... buy a new router. You can get them for under $50. If this thing is running a DOS based program, it's time to go.

I do e-bay sales for my company... I have a high quality low price wireless router listed right now. Buy-it-now for $40... free shipping. I also have high feature models available if you want to spend more.

Just let me know.

WEP can be cracked in <60 seconds nowadays (although it's not THAT easy to get into if you have never done it before), so it's seriously a good idea to get a new one with a more up-to-date authentication/encryption method.

If you want to try to find out the WEP password anyway you might look up Backtrack 2 (Live-Linux-Distribution) and one of the many video tutorials on the web about how to crack it. I can't really recommend any, but if you want to fiddle around a bit any will do I guess

She can't afford a new router...

I figured it out, I shorted the contacts and got into the wireless, managed to set up the security again.

Hegel I used your idea. Thanks I did not think of it!

My neighbor is online now.

She can't afford a new router...

I figured it out, I shorted the contacts and got into the wireless, managed to set up the security again.

Hegel I used your idea. Thanks I did not think of it!

My neighbor is online now.
    Awesome, possum!

Glad to hear it. And it pleases me to find simple and effective solutions from time to time.

Error404

Now that the solution has been found...I'd like answers too...

... ...Shot at? Is she using AOL or something?