Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat Linux

Default Red Hat Linux

I was cleaning up and found Red Hat Linux 9 . I dont know much about Linux at all. Is it any good?

Nope. Go try Ubuntu if you're noob to Linux. If you know a thing or two about computers then try Arch Linux. Red Hat Linux is for the corporate work place.

Linux is only good for servers or running hardware security. Though there are some nice touches to Linux such as its security, it just really isn't a viable operating system for me and I can honestly say that it probably isn't for you either unless you simply cannot find a copy of Windows.

The business world runs on Windows, while the servers run on Linux, and the collegiates tend to prefer the stability and user accessibility and ease of OSX (Unix)
    Last edited by Lazy; 21-May-2009 at 07:00.

Red Hat Linux is still going strong at companies as a server OS, and possibly as the "desktop" operating system of choice at many universities (Our university uses SuSE by Novell, though). The reason why companies use it is the paid support available through Red Hat, and most hardware vendors have drivers for Red Hat if they support linux. The free version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (Fedora) has a pretty big userbase, too.

You probably don't want to use the box of Red Hat Linux you found. You could download a current version of Fedora if you want to use a Linux distribution from Red Hat, but as others have said Ubuntu seems to be the better choice because it's far more widespread and targetting people not used to Linux. If you were to use the box of Red Hat Linux 9 you'd have a hard time getting current software to run on it, because the prepackaged software that you can install with just one click (Firefox, pidgin, VLC, whatever) will be very old or not available at all. With a current version of Fedora or Ubuntu the version is usually the most current, and you automatically get updates for all the software you installed on your PC if they release one (instead of having to use auto-updaters like on windows. You might know them from Firefox or Opera. And only a few other programs support auto-update on windows, anyway. With linux, every software you install with one click supports it. And even the downloading is done by the operating system for you )

I tried using it on a laptop and i it said that it could not detected a hard drive. I didnt even try to fix it. Right now I have PC linux OS on my desktop. It seems very easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBB View Post
    Linux is only good for servers or running hardware security. Though there are some nice touches to Linux such as its security, it just really isn't a viable operating system for me and I can honestly say that it probably isn't for you either unless you simply cannot find a copy of Windows.

The business world runs on Windows, while the servers run on Linux, and the collegiates tend to prefer the stability and user accessibility and ease of OSX (Unix)
    I've been using Arch Linux now for about a year, maybe more? It's way better for me than Windows. Now, I do have a LEGAL copy of Vista Ultimate x64 that I use to play my games, but other than that I prefer Linux =) It's 1000x more customizable if you know what to do lol.

So I downloaded Linux Ubuntu and I have to say its different. I like it though. Although trying to install somethings is hard. Thanks for the advice guys.

Installing something on Ubuntu is easy as in Windows easy. Just sudo apt-get install XXX. How hard is that?

Though, maybe I've just not used it since the 5.10 days, but still it's easy to use I think.

ArchLinux 64 FTW

It's probably easier than in Windows. Since you're new you may as well use Synaptics (gnome) or Adept (KDE). Then you can just point and click to install all sorts of things.

Ok I installed wine for linux and when I tried to run a exe. file it said

[/home/dakota/Desktop/Thunderbird Setup 2.0.0.21.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/dakota/Desktop/Thunderbird Setup 2.0.0.21.exe or
    /home/dakota/Desktop/Thunderbird Setup 2.0.0.21.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/dakota/Desktop/Thunderbird Setup 2.0.0.21.exe.ZIP, period.