Odd idea: A Diaper Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaSonic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Has anyone actually thought of the idea of a store that actually specializes in selling diapers? Like, with sections segregated for babies' use and another for medical purposes. It would probably be a stretch to include a private area for *BDLs, a la Diaper Depot in Stone Mountain, Georgia, but I was just floating the idea out there.

I've had trouble trying to find pharmacies in my area that carried stuff that wasn't Depends, so that may have been part of this genesis.

It's not a terribly odd idea; I mean if you can go to a store that sells nothing but spatulas, a brick and mortar diaper store wouldn't be that far out of ones imagination. Seriously though, a few well known online stores have physical storefronts attached to their warehouses. A select lucky few here on this forum have been there.

I live near the Changing Times Diaper Co. here in Las Vegas. They pretty much specialize in diapers and diaper accessories.
They have a ton of different diapers and accessories. ABDL stuff like diapers, diaper covers, onesies/bodysuits, adult bibs and pacifiers, also a few medical disposables(though last time I was there they were phasing Abena out due to high costs), adult cloth diapers and accessories and a few baby cloth diapering supplies too.
Most of the "Medical Supply" stores around here don't carry really anything in the way of good diapers, usually only cheap garbage-y medical styled diapers and pads.

I feel so super lucky that CTDC decided to open up shop here in Vegas :biggrin:

Jonnythepony said:
I live near the Changing Times Diaper Co. I feel so super lucky that CTDC decided to open up shop here in Vegas :biggrin:

It smells like baby powder in there!

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Scaramouche said:
It smells like baby powder in there!

Smells sweet like powder and that scent ABU uses and I love it >u<

Not an odd idea at all.
If you risk a look over the big pond you'll find that SaveExpress has been quite successful in this regard for almost 20 years. Probably longer even, but that'sabout the time I first ordered there.

Reactions: Soarandragon
These definitely exist, at least in the US. Here in Europe people are more openly pervy but apparently quite traditional with brick-and-motor business decisions XD

It's not an odd idea at all.

There are quite a few diaper only stores in the States and there are even some in Canada as well. For instance, Rearz sells both baby diapers, adult diapers and AB diapers. There is also a store in Toronto, I forget what it's called, but they too specialize only in diapers and they carry both cloth and disposable baby diapers, adult diapers and even a couple of AB diaper brands.

I will say that stores like these are still far and few between, so I can understand the desire for more of them. When you're stuck buying from local pharmacies and stores, you're often gonna be stuck with Depends or some other cheap and flimsy brand and when you're in that position, it's only logical to pine for a store that offers more variety.

Last edited:
Given the success of Changing Times and Diaper Depot I can see similar stores popping up in most all major cities sooner or later.

In Argentina there are Paneleras which are a
basically nappy shops selling baby and adult nappies and other baby stuff

I would love to comment about Changing Times but when I made a special trip there last Friday they were closed. No sign on the door or anything.😔

• Wow
bugguy6970 said:
I would love to comment about Changing Times but when I made a special trip there last Friday they were closed. No sign on the door or anything.&#55357;&#56852;

per their web site:

We offer shop-in-private for individuals looking for discreet service. Your shop-in private appointment will be scheduled during a time in which we are normally closed for daily business (after 6:00 PM, Monday to Friday). We ask for a minimum of 24 hours advanced notice to ensure we can accommodate your date and time requested. There is no fee for private shopping but we require a minimum purchase amount of $50.00.
Our operating hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Feel free to contact us at 530-635-7456 or [email protected] if you would like a private shopping experience, need additional information about our retail location or have questions about our products and service.

so it sounds like they should have been open, though last friday was thanksgiving Friday, it's no big surprise that a business would be closed then.

Tykables has their own store front as well.

They announced on their website that they'll be closed from Thursday to Sunday for Thanksgiving week.

- - - Updated - - -

bugguy6970 said:
I would love to comment about Changing Times but when I made a special trip there last Friday they were closed. No sign on the door or anything.&#55357;&#56852;
Their website stated that CTDC would be closed from Thursday to Sunday for Thanksgiving week. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Jonnythepony said:
I live near the Changing Times Diaper Co. here in Las Vegas. They pretty much specialize in diapers and diaper accessories.
They have a ton of different diapers and accessories. ABDL stuff like diapers, diaper covers, onesies/bodysuits, adult bibs and pacifiers, also a few medical disposables(though last time I was there they were phasing Abena out due to high costs), adult cloth diapers and accessories and a few baby cloth diapering supplies too.
Most of the "Medical Supply" stores around here don't carry really anything in the way of good diapers, usually only cheap garbage-y medical styled diapers and pads.

I feel so super lucky that CTDC decided to open up shop here in Vegas :biggrin:

+1 for CTDC. I visit them every couple weeks while on my commute to work or school. They have abdl cloths, cloth + accessions + plastic products, and personal hygiene items to boot. It's an amazing experience and customer support. I like to shower praise on that company whenever possible.

Only downside for me is that I get shy whenever other abdl customers are there when I'm shopping, and my introverted behavior starts to kick in. :sweatdrop:

I wonder if a store like that could benefit from having large opaque shopping bags for customer to use, so others in the store couldn't see what products you've picked out and are walking around with?

bambinod said:
I wonder if a store like that could benefit from having large opaque shopping bags for customer to use, so others in the store couldn't see what products you've picked out and are walking around with?

Helena at the Diaper depot uses large black shopping bags just like that. They easily hold a full package of diapers, and then some. Though that's for when you're walking out of the store, not in it.

Changing Times, although I really like them, is not a poster child for diaper store successes. If you follow the News section on the Changing Times website, you'll note that Robert's outlook on things tends to be mixed at best. The company has briefly ceased operation, and threatened to cease operation, on a number of occasions due to financial and other struggles, and the recent shipping logistics issues with the Bear Hugz diapers are not a promising sign. In a previous News post, Robert indicated that he wasn't sure how much longer Bear Hugz would be produced, and yet he'd indicated even earlier that he believed the success of Bear Hugz was crucial to the survival of the company. So... :shrug:

Opening a very niche brick-and-mortar store doesn't strike me as the wisest business decision these days. Not, that is, unless you're physically close to a large number of potential customers. With ABDLs, it seems to me that the vast, vast majority of your potential customers are always going to be very far away from you, no matter where you set up shop. Given that, I'd have a hard time justifying the high cost of maintaining a retail storefront versus going online-only.

Of course Changing Times isn't just an ABDL store, but its owner is ABDL, and the product selection has increasingly tilted toward ABDL over the years, to the point that I'd be sort of surprised if many of his customers were non-ABDL incontinent people.

bambinod said:

For that I would like to point out that those newfangled reusable shopping bags would come in really handy there. Also you could bring your own paper bags; most grocery stores still provide them.

Cottontail said:
n a number of occasions due to financial and other struggles, and the recent shipping logistics issues with the Bear Hugz diapers are not a promising sign. In a previous News post, Robert indicated that he wasn't sure how much longer Bear Hugz would be produced, and yet he'd indicated even earlier that he believed the success of Bear Hugz was crucial to the survival of the company. So... :shrug:

One always has to wonder when a small seller has problems with logistics and delayed orders.... "is it really a logistics issue / supplier problem, or are they having problems coming up with the cash to pay for the shipment?" A business is never going to tell you that they can't pay the bills, they will pretty much always lie to their customers when they're in financial problems, because nobody wants to place (and pay for) an order that may never actually ship and have to fight to recover their money. Telling your customers you're having money problems will just cause orders to plummet, which will just make your finances a lot worse.

So can you blame them? Tough question.

bambinod said:
One always has to wonder when a small seller has problems with logistics and delayed orders.... "is it really a logistics issue / supplier problem, or are they having problems coming up with the cash to pay for the shipment?" A business is never going to tell you that they can't pay the bills, they will pretty much always lie to their customers when they're in financial problems, because nobody wants to place (and pay for) an order that may never actually ship and have to fight to recover their money. Telling your customers you're having money problems will just cause orders to plummet, which will just make your finances a lot worse.
I would think so too--in general. But Robert has been very transparent about his financial woes in the past, for better or worse. Over the summer, one of his updates mentioned that he and his wife were regularly eating hot dog meals at the Costco walk-up because they were so inexpensive. :-/ Given that, I'm inclined to think he's telling the truth about the logistics stuff, and that perhaps it's just a case of "this is harder than I thought." So we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back