Thread: I'm so tired of my Lazy Alcoholic Brother

Default I'm so tired of my Lazy Alcoholic Brother

Finally decided to take away the plugs to my TVs and took my Switch, so hes probably gonna be mighty bored if that ain't enough maybe I will have to take away the plug to my Moms TV and the plug to the internet modem.

He is so lazy and has no ambitions or wants, all he wants to do is get drunk (if he has the money he gets a 1.75L bottle of Bacardi Spiced or black rum and drinks from sun up to sun down), have fun, and sleep.

I mean whats a guy supposed to do to get his brother to stop being so lazy and get a job?

He has not had a job in over a year, could of been hired at McDonald's and who knows where else, if he would at least try, but he really doesn't care.

It sounds to me like he needs help or an intervention. That behavior would be unacceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty View Post
    It sounds to me like he needs help or an intervention. That behavior would be unacceptable to me.
    I know, but you can't get people to do what they dont want to do, and as far as I can tell the only way he would have a smidgeon of desire to want to work is if Walmart would take him back, but they wont and we cant get him to look for a job, do housework or anything; he could have walked a few minutes down the road and asked about getting a job at the local Dominos, but of course that's too much effort for him.

Even without the alcohol all he does is stays at home and plays video games all day, that's why I took the power cables away.

I don't even know where he is at the moment as me and my mom had to go to work (same shift same company) and he wasnt even home, so idk where he is or what he is doing.

I just hope it's not a repeat of July 4th when he got drunk with my cousin, was walking around and passed out and woke up in the hospital.

Listen,
    As someone who hits the sauce more than he probably should, I cannot stress the importance of getting him an intervention, or at least some help. When I hit a depression spike, I turned to the bottle (my best friend at the time), and probably would've drank myself into the ground if it hadn't been for my old girlfriend (god rest her soul) who helped me quit my crazy beer indulgences and probably saved my life.
    I am so thankful she saved my life (I just wish I could've saved hers), and I am sure your brother will be grateful if you do the same. Note: it will take some time as he will probably hate you at first for trying to help (I know I hated giving up some of my booze), but eventually he'll wise up and see you are trying to help him.
    I hope this helps you a bit.
    Fireband

Interestingly enough helping addicts is kind of my moms Boyfriends area of expertise, but idk if my mom would ever talk to her Boyfriend about my brother, and even if it happened I doubt my brother would actually stop drinking, it's not that he always has to have it but that once he gets past a certain point it's like the point of no return; he will drink what is in front of him, no matter what it is or how strong it is.

Sometimes you have to go the tough love route. Give him a time limit to when he has to leave. Sometimes people have to have some sort of serious motivation to change a bad lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Sometimes you have to go the tough love route. Give him a time limit to when he has to leave. Sometimes people have to have some sort of serious motivation to change a bad lifestyle.
    Oh, soon he will run out of money (that my dad sent him) with no TV, no video games, no media streaming, he should soon realize he ain't gonna have any fun if he ain't working, as long as I'm at work will be at least as long as he will be bored every week from now on.

Good luck. I agree with others that tough love is needed. I'm in a somewhat similar situation with my sister. She moved halfway across the country (US) to a conservative state, only to find that she lost the Medicaid she had in New York and can't afford the alternative. Surprise surprise *rolls eyes*. Very annoying considering she has a progressive genetic condition. I give her money cos I don't want her to end up homeless, but I know at some point I need to get tougher with her. Not sure how though as her condition exacerbates the problem.