Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from vacation, what a ride!

Default Back from vacation, what a ride!

I just took my wife on a road trip up to northern Arizona on part of route 66, along with some other friends in our old car club. We had a blast! There's nothing like driving a classic car down an old road, and wondering if the former owners of that car had ever gone that way before.

We took 4 1/2 days total, and stayed in Wickenburg, Kingman, Williams, and Showlow, and went through Flagstaff, Winslow, (and yes, we stood on the corner, LOL!!! ), a little place called Jackrabbit, and a bunch of other neat places. Hackberry was one, and it was basically just a few buildings along side the road that caters to tourists, and they've got a '57 Vette out front that is probably the most photographed Vette in the world. Seligman was another small town that's along the way with a history behind it.

It's kind of neat to see how people used to travel, not like today, jump on an interstate and drive right past everything at supersonic speeds, but to just cruise down a two lane road and take in the sights, and go through each town along the way. It's too bad that there aren't more sections of the old road still in use, but a lot of it was incorporated into the interstate system, and rerouted around most of the towns the original road went through. So unless there was an industry in that town, it basically just died from lack of interest. Most of what's left, if anything, are a few gas stations, a restaurant or two, and the usual tourist traps, and a motel or two.

If you ever get the chance to travel and you're not in a hurry, take a look at a road map and see if there isn't another route you can take other than the main road, the interstate. The back roads have such beautiful sights that nobody ever sees anymore unless they happen to live near there. I'm sure that there's a road near where you are that you've wanted to go down but never took the opportunity. Take it now. Enjoy our heritage, before it's gone.

Asher

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, ricky. Boy, I haven't gone on a road trip in so long. Your story makes me want to go hop in my car, go pick up some friends, and go travel everywhere : )

Thanks for sharing; glad you fun : )

- Asher

Sounds fun. I plan on going on a road trip to BC this summer. canada only has one road, though, so it's pretty much granted I'll hit every city and town along the way out west.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    There's nothing like driving a classic car down an old road, and wondering if the former owners of that car had ever gone that way before.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    The back roads have such beautiful sights that nobody ever sees anymore unless they happen to live near there.
    This is what I always say to people who ask me how the hell I'm able to travel all around Europe with my vintage RV at 30 mph choosing secondary roads instead of motorways. The key is in savouring the journey, not only the destination, which, on a holiday trip, is just the excuse to see what's on the road to get there. And once I'm arrived, I'm sad, because half of the fun is over! (and this is why, if I can, I take a different route to get back home)

So what kind of classic car do you have? I had an 1979 Monte Carlo... I love old cars.. post pics?

Well I'm jealous Ricky. I would love to do that in a vintage car. I've always wanted to get a 40 Ford. To drive that down Rt. 66 would be awesome for me. I take it your back and neck held out? I always have trouble with my neck on long trips, and stopping and getting out is a real back stretcher. But once I walk around a little bit, I'm good to go. I guess you did this as well? Anyway, glad you're getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun, ricky. Boy, I haven't gone on a road trip in so long. Your story makes me want to go hop in my car, go pick up some friends, and go travel everywhere : )

Thanks for sharing; glad you fun : )

- Asher
    My pleasure, and I hope you get to do that, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    Sounds fun. I plan on going on a road trip to BC this summer. canada only has one road, though, so it's pretty much granted I'll hit every city and town along the way out west.
    I'll bet that will be a wonderful trip Chill, one I'd love to make someday. Be careful and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by quattrus View Post
    Quoted for truth.

This is what I always say to people who ask me how the hell I'm able to travel all around Europe with my vintage RV at 30 mph choosing secondary roads instead of motorways. The key is in savouring the journey, not only the destination, which, on a holiday trip, is just the excuse to see what's on the road to get there. And once I'm arrived, I'm sad, because half of the fun is over! (and this is why, if I can, I take a different route to get back home)
    You hit the nail on the head there. That's why each year we try to take a little different route and see some different towns along the way. It's what makes the trip worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    So what kind of classic car do you have? I had an 1979 Monte Carlo... I love old cars.. post pics?
    I've got a bunch of different ones, but the one we took on this trip and last years was the '64 Chevelle. It's the one that looks the best. My '64 truck would make the trip without any problems, but my wife doesn't like to ride in it because the seat isn't comfortable on a long trip.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Well I'm jealous Ricky. I would love to do that in a vintage car. I've always wanted to get a 40 Ford. To drive that down Rt. 66 would be awesome for me. I take it your back and neck held out? I always have trouble with my neck on long trips, and stopping and getting out is a real back stretcher. But once I walk around a little bit, I'm good to go. I guess you did this as well? Anyway, glad you're getting out.

We saw a few '40's on this trip. They were really done up sharp. As far as my neck goes, it was fine, no problems, but my lower back is still giving me a lot of pain. I just work through it and try to ignore it as much as I can, but that's not easy a lot of the time. I know that next trip I'm taking my zero gravity chair with me. I had to sleep in one of my portable folding chairs with my feet propped up in one of the hotel chairs to keep my back from hurting too much. That was the only way I could get any sleep. My wife had to drive part of the way too because I was just too tired to stay awake because of that. But this zero gravity chair is one of those folding types that let you lay back almost horizontal with no effort at all, but still keeps you bent in a sitting position. I've had to sleep like that now for over 10 years because of back pain. It sucks big time, but I'm used to it now.
    But it was still a really pleasant trip, even for all that. I can't wait until the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    Good to have you back Ricky; I missed you.
    Thank you Takashi, I really appreciate that. That was very kind of you to say.

Sounds like a blast ricky! I can't wait to fix up my Malibu and take her on old trips like that. Nothing like the open road, with the rumbling of V8's going down a highway. Must have been beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon93 View Post
    Sounds like a blast ricky! I can't wait to fix up my Malibu and take her on old trips like that. Nothing like the open road, with the rumbling of V8's going down a highway. Must have been beautiful!
    It was nice. You need to get moving on your car if you want to have a road trip like that without taking out a second mortgage on your house, or in your case, your parents house. With the price of fuel going back up, it's gonna get hard to afford to go anywhere again.

This year the fuel cost me about half of what it did the year before. This year it was still at or just below 2 bucks a gallon, but last year it was almost 4 bucks, and in a couple of places it was more.

I'm afraid that it's going right back up there again, and it's going to ruin the economy again. Everybody was blaming the recession on the republicans and president Bush, but personally, I think the oil companies are more to blame than anyone. They were making record profits while the rest of the world was loosing their asses and had to cut back on everything, or go out of business, or go broke.

I hope you get to take that trip one day. It's a lot of fun, and relaxing, like therapy almost. I want to do it again soon, but I can't afford it, not now, not yet. Hopefully next spring, and then we're off again!