Needing diapers and being Told about it.

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
Okay so as I have said I have cerebral palsy and I can have trouble making it to the bathroom. That is no secret I am fairly open about it. I have been told that I need to make sure that I have the money to buy my supplies so that I don't run out.
The problem with this is when I say something to my fiancee or my family about wearing a diaper longer than I should because I don't want to waste a diaper or not wearing a diaper and taking the chance that I am not going to make it to the bathroom they all try to tell me that I need to take care of myself and wear my diapers. I know my fiancee will argue with me and say that we will find the money to make sure I change as much as I need to but I see the bigger picture when it comes to our finances and so I know what comes and goes out. I know He will make sure things are taken care of but don't know what to do at this point.
I would wear a cheaper diaper but for me the more absorbent the diaper the cheaper the costs. I pay for the diapers out of my own pocket. I was going to try and get insurance to pay for them and they will but I have to reach my deductible and I would have to use the diapers they want me to use which is not cost effective at all, even if the insurance will help after my deductible is met.

lilshelly said:
Okay so as I have said I have cerebral palsy and I can have trouble making it to the bathroom. That is no secret I am fairly open about it. I have been told that I need to make sure that I have the money to buy my supplies so that I don't run out.
The problem with this is when I say something to my fiancee or my family about wearing a diaper longer than I should because I don't want to waste a diaper or not wearing a diaper and taking the chance that I am not going to make it to the bathroom they all try to tell me that I need to take care of myself and wear my diapers. I know my fiancee will argue with me and say that we will find the money to make sure I change as much as I need to but I see the bigger picture when it comes to our finances and so I know what comes and goes out. I know He will make sure things are taken care of but don't know what to do at this point.
I would wear a cheaper diaper but for me the more absorbent the diaper the cheaper the costs. I pay for the diapers out of my own pocket. I was going to try and get insurance to pay for them and they will but I have to reach my deductible and I would have to use the diapers they want me to use which is not cost effective at all, even if the insurance will help after my deductible is met.

I totally get it. I’m also deal with incontinence and pay for my own diapers. My wife know and expects that I’m always diapered. She insist on only buying the most absorbent diapers. Currently use Crinklz, ABU space and North Shore Supreme and Mega Max. I often tell her I can wear cheaper ones but she also says no point if you have to change more often and or leak. It’s rwall expensive as I spend over $100 a month on diapers. When I was first diagnosed the drs sent a script to a medical supply company for my diapers. They sent a lot of samples trying to find something that would work. The best diaper they sent was the tranquility ATN. Which I used before I was back in diapers permanently. For full blown urinary and bowel incontinence they don’t hold up for my needs so I gave up on insurance paying for my diapers. We just make it all work. When you don’t have a choice and have to have them to survive you find a way as you said. Best of luck!!

what about letting insurance pay for what they will and use them around the house and use the better ones you pay for at night and when you go to town or visit friends and family this is what i do when i need to save some money

dwayne said:
what about letting insurance pay for what they will and use them around the house and use the better ones you pay for at night and when you go to town or visit friends and family this is what i do when i need to save some money[/QUOT
The only problem is if I buy the ones that I normally do and let the insurance take care of what they will I still have a deductible to meet and the diapers that I buy are not on the "List" from the small list of providers that they give me so nothing I purchase on my own is going towards my deductible so I am not saving any money. Most people I talk to are surprised that insurance would even cover anything. It was an idea though. The only other choice I have is to go on medicad and I am not ready to do that just yet.

Hey guys, I’m also a similar situation, where I rely on Social Security and the money from my part-time job to help pay for my monthly diaper expenses. I know that the diapers that insurance provides are crap, it is only in the past few years that I have started to need diapers on a full-time basis, but I don’t think that my situation is severe enough to be able to get insurance to cover my costs for that and I know that the diapers aren’t that great anyways, so what’s the point. It is also a situation where I am used to wearing really good quality diapers and I couldn’t see myself going to a lesser quality, this would also just destroy my confidence in the protections that I wear. The thinnest I use is the north shore supreme lite and the thickest I wear are Safari, but abena m4 are my day to day diaper. They are the best bang for my buck, as far as quality and reliability are concerned.

First, it is NOT a waste if your diaper has done its job by the time you change. It isn't the point to have every diaper hit 100% capacity. That's how you aim for leaks, not aim to prevent them.

Second, your spending priorities are mixed up. Like it or not, your diaper needs are more important than your phone, cable, and internet, and certainly more important than eating out and entertainment. Once you realise that, it's never "you can't afford diapers". It's "you can afford them, but can't afford dinner and a movie."

Third, wear a diaper even when you think you don't need it. Do keep trying to use the toilet if you can, and if your diaper stays dry then by all means keep wearing it untill it's needed. And when it's wet (or messy) enough to threaten leaking or rashes, that diaper can no longer be trusted to do its job. So that's when it's time to change, not because it's soaking wet or not.

Well said Slomo, I look at diapers as part of my bills, and I always factories in first to my monthly expenses after rent and cell phone bill. That’s also why I stay ahead of my ordering needs because for example this next month when I have to buy a bunch of holiday gift I probably won’t be able to order as many cases of diapers as I normally do and I still have enough to wear on a daily basis and not worry about running out .

Yeah i alredy counted in the costs of diapers and everything else in the monthly budget. When i need extra either diapers or other IC
stuff i just have to pay it however its that simple so i get it to work .Yes i have to refrain from other joys of life BUT what can i do ?

And im NOT sponsored by either insurance or anyone i should ad and on LOW income

It’s a tough one. In the UK you can get 3 diapers a day for free on the NHS continence service but the thickest diaper my local service supplies is a cloth-backed Tena Slip Maxi. This isn’t too bad for me as I can normally wear these at night without leaking. However I also have a small supply of thicker diapers I buy myself (often with some ABDL prints) for situations when I need thicker protection.

My bladder control (or lack of it) can be quite temperamental, so I up the thickness every time I change. Some days I start in a Tena Flex Plus and finish in a Rearz Rebel four diapers later.

I receive a disability benefit but I also work freelance. Since I’ve started using the incontinence service, my regular diaper order can last up to two months. So it’s manageable.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Ehorton said:
I totally get it. I’m also deal with incontinence and pay for my own diapers. My wife know and expects that I’m always diapered. She insist on only buying the most absorbent diapers. Currently use Crinklz, ABU space and North Shore Supreme and Mega Max. I often tell her I can wear cheaper ones but she also says no point if you have to change more often and or leak. It’s rwall expensive as I spend over $100 a month on diapers. When I was first diagnosed the drs sent a script to a medical supply company for my diapers. They sent a lot of samples trying to find something that would work. The best diaper they sent was the tranquility ATN. Which I used before I was back in diapers permanently. For full blown urinary and bowel incontinence they don’t hold up for my needs so I gave up on insurance paying for my diapers. We just make it all work. When you don’t have a choice and have to have them to survive you find a way as you said. Best of luck!!

I think ABU is HSA elgible, so perhaps that can lower the cost.

ehorton you have the best of the best for a wife to understand your needs and only want the best for you most guys dont find them that way and just stay to are self

Dinotopian2002 said:
It’s a tough one. In the UK you can get 3 diapers a day for free on the NHS continence service but the thickest diaper my local service supplies is a cloth-backed Tena Slip Maxi.

Is there something like that service that allows you diapers in the US?

Dinotopian2002 said:
It’s a tough one. In the UK you can get 3 diapers a day for free on the NHS continence service but the thickest diaper my local service supplies is a cloth-backed Tena Slip Maxi. This isn’t too bad for me as I can normally wear these at night without leaking. However I also have a small supply of thicker diapers I buy myself (often with some ABDL prints) for situations when I need thicker protection.

My bladder control (or lack of it) can be quite temperamental, so I up the thickness every time I change. Some days I start in a Tena Flex Plus and finish in a Rearz Rebel four diapers later.

I receive a disability benefit but I also work freelance. Since I’ve started using the incontinence service, my regular diaper order can last up to two months. So it’s manageable.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Yeah I still have about 10 or so good years of working in me before I can claim disability. I don't really want to do that until I can't work because the more time I put in the more I can get out of it later.
I am kinda stuck in the middle of all of this. I don't qualify for assistance because I make to much yet when all the bills are paid I don't have much money left over. It don't take to much to get knocked out of assistance programs over here in the US.
I had thought about trying to budget for it, It wouldn't take much to do it. For me it is just a matter of putting it into practice of setting the money aside every month.

Can you enroll in flexible spending account with your job. They take an amount that you set each year pre-tax and you can use it for healthcare related expenses. So things like diapers, eyeglasses, prescriptions, co-pays, amounts that's you owe to meet deductibles, etc... you just have to have a receipt.

I have a debit card that I use and then send a receipt to the administrator that handles the FSA. OR I can pay for things myself and send the receipt and I get paid back to my checking account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back