Why is the human bladder control so imperfect?

mkinko

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
About 2-3% of all ten years old are bedwetters and roughly one in 4 adult women experience problems with bladder control. If a car technology had such bad reliability numbers it would be out of the market in no second.

Why is the bladder control such an issue? I think that the control based on the coordination of a muscle which cannot be controlled actively (Detrusor) and a muscle which we have much worse control of than e.g. our leg muscels (sphincter) is just not a good solution. What do you think?

It's only relatively recent in human history where any of this mattered.

That said, write up a patch and do a pull request I guess..

My bladder performance has been exemplary. However, I have other complaints. The manufacturer has been very slow to respond.

I wish it was more imperfect... i.e. about 50% of women requiring actual nappies ;)

Trevor said:
My bladder performance has been exemplary. However, I have other complaints. The manufacturer has been very slow to respond.

:smile1:

If the human bladder was a product being sold, I'd have my lawyers on the makers for a multitude of reasons including, but not limited to:
-False advertising (50 average years of a healthy bladder...there is no mention of conditions etc.)
-Willful distribution of a defective product
-Lack of or no product warranty or manual (more of a novelty here, but still...there's so much we don't know about the human body)
-Lack of action against defective products (seriously, evolution get your crap together)
If the makers of the human bladder were in court, with these charges alone they would go bankrupt.
I mean, my bladder is crap and it is only getting worse. The doc has been no help. My parents think it's a phase, even though incontinence runs in my birth family. I don't even have the money for proper protection, which means if the makers of the human bladder were a company, I could sue for damages (I would BTW). Sorry about all the legal metaphors, I do sales on the side and had to read up on this stuff. Anatomically speaking...this is unacceptable.

Sue for actual damages, emotional harm, and compensation for future earning potential damages. Maybe a punitive class-action suit?

There's a recall notice on all of my joints. They've worn out prematurely. I know.....it's time for a new model.

dogboy said:
There's a recall notice on all of my joints. They've worn out prematurely. I know.....it's time for a new model.

Im with you on that. You might add muscles also because thats a big issue for me.

Thanks for the answers, nice ones! 😂 Christmas is coming soon, maybe we should ask Santa for replacement parts.

Still I don‘t understand why the bladder physiology is so (in my opinion unnecessarily) complex. Well, evolution obvioulsy does not always come up with the most obvious designs.

I would give the world for a simple on off switch.

mkinko said:
Thanks for the answers, nice ones! �� Christmas is coming soon, maybe we should ask Santa for replacement parts.

Still I don‘t understand why the bladder physiology is so (in my opinion unnecessarily) complex. Well, evolution obvioulsy does not always come up with the most obvious designs.

And technology has given us diapers ;)

Trevor said:

Ha, ha. I tried complaining to the manufacturer of the human body too. I never even got a response.

Slomo said:
Ha, ha. I tried complaining to the manufacturer of the human body too. I never even got a response.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I gave up on that one a VERY long time ago :laugh:

ChocChip said:
And technology has given us diapers ;)

If you want to go down a slightly darker road..

Natural selection relies on positive traits increasing the likelihood of procreation and decreasing the likelihood of death. Depending on how you look at it, human invention is either a monkey wrench in this system, or a component of it. We come up to solutions that for other specifies may well have resulted in a greater chance of death, which is great and all, but leads to things persisting within our gene pool that otherwise would have been eliminated over time.

TLDR: our bladders may suck more than other specifies because thanks to modern technology, being a bed wetter is unlikely to be fatal ;p

BoundCoder said:

Natural selection relies on positive traits increasing the likelihood of procreation and decreasing the likelihood of death. Depending on how you look at it, human invention is either a monkey wrench in this system, or a component of it. We come up to solutions that for other specifies may well have resulted in a greater chance of death, which is great and all, but leads to things persisting within our gene pool that otherwise would have been eliminated over time.

TLDR: our bladders may suck more than other specifies because thanks to modern technology, being a bed wetter is unlikely to be fatal ;p

Interestingly enough though, prolongued use of modern diapers will cause heat to build up in the testicles. This will inhibit the development of sperm, and will likely lead to impotence. So.... right back to natural selection for us.

BoundCoder said:

Right, well... And age-related incontinence, because it strikes years after procreation would have occurred, is sort of beyond the reach of natural selection, at least directly. That goes for a lot of other age-related or age-correlated ailments. So, for those: Thank God for our big brains! At least, with our brains, we've been able to devise some half-assed workarounds.

I finally figured out the problem with my bladder and bowel control: I eat and drink things :D

Spaz said:
I finally figured out the problem with my bladder and bowel control: I eat and drink things :D

All us Primates eat and drink, and pee and poop comes out the other end.

Back