Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down Syndrome Society wants to be added to endangered species list

Quote Originally Posted by howiebabe View Post
    What is happening is early detection in the fetus and then selective abortion for genetic abnormalities (not only Downs, but other conditions also).
    Because parents want their children to be born as healthy as possible, so if they know the child will have any medical condition after they are born that will cause the child to suffer greatly in life, and that outcome could be avoided, why would that be considered a bad thing?

Didn't say it was bad or good.

What about if the genetics show a propensity for being overweight, that can have some poor consequences, should the fetus be aborted? Or some other genetic predisposition (not a guarantee, but a higher likelihood)?

While a condition like Downs is not treatable, there are many medical conditions that were deadly in the past are now treatable.

I understand the difficult choice that needs to made when parents are presented with this type of information, but it is a choice.

In some societies where women are considered to be of less value, there have been abortions of a fetus that is female.

What is happening is early detection in the fetus and then selective abortion for genetic abnormalities (not only Downs, but other conditions also).
    I am fine with that. If the Abortion before the baby heartbeat. I don't think people would want to live a life of always being told NO NO NO you can't do this. All because of their illness. Then adding to family stress.

Yes, a Child or an Adult being taught early in life. You can be anything in the world. And when the real-life hits. You get oh no because your Disability you can't do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't say it was bad or good.

What about if the genetics show a propensity for being overweight, that can have some poor consequences, should the fetus be aborted? Or some other genetic predisposition (not a guarantee, but a higher likelihood)?
    Grow a brain. If that a problem it could be controlled by Healthy food Not FAT foods I mean Fast foods. It can be controlled.

While a condition like Downs is not treatable, there are many medical conditions that were deadly in the past are now treatable.
    Ya But even Treatable conditions you are still limited. I have Epilepsy I can't do what I want to do. No one wants me to fly a plane or drive a bus or Truck. My Seizures are controlled. I can not do what I want to do.

I understand the difficult choice that needs to made when parents are presented with this type of information, but it is a choice.
    You know it might be a choice. But do you want to have a normal life or have a life limited life and be told you can't do it?

In some societies where women are considered to be of less value, there have been abortions of a fetus that is female.
    We don't need a human right in this topic. So let stop with Woman are of less value.

I think it was just being stated as a fact, not as a topic of discussion. It's more or less a discussion about eugenics.

And the fact is that many people will abort a perfectly healthy fetus due to outside factors. IE: Unable to afford care to give birth/unable to care for the child after birth, unwillingness to add a child to an already burdened adoption system, just plain disinterest. The reasons are extremely varied and I don't feel this is the topic to debate whether or not these people are 'right' in their thinking.

And there are just as many who find out they will have a child with Down syndrome and go ahead and have the child to give them a shot.

I watched a guy go into seizures where I work. His were controlled, he was taking meds for them and BAM. It hit him out of nowhere. *shrugs* If you've got something like epilepsy it's good that you have them controlled, but it would be irresponsible to operate a vehicle if there were the slightest chance you could have one. (I know, I know, you're going to tell me that you'll NEVER have another one, and I do really and honestly hope that you're right!)

On the topic, though, Down Syndrome isn't like seizures because it can't be changed with medication. It's more akin to being born without a limb, something that can be helped a little, but no amount of medication is going to cure.

It's silly to WANT to have it, though or to DESIRE having a child with it. If you end up having a child with the syndrome? Ok. Love them, take care of them, be their best advocate and supporter.

I honestly feel this is a PR stunt to raise awareness for their needs for housing/transportation and such and not an honest-to-goodness "Put us on the endangered species list" bid.

(I also popped this reaction up: https://psmag.com/education/people-w...ngered-animals )

Being someone who deals in wildlife rehabilitation, I've had a lot of experience with the endangered species regulations, and trust me when I say people with down syndrome will not survive being placed on the endangered species list. Once on it, it becomes a federal felony to interfere with them, any contact could result in years of prison time. Endangered species protections only work for able bodied animals with natural survival instincts. No human could survive the restrictions placed on them entering the list.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

W0lfpack91 You just won this thread lol!