Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Story About My Fight With Mental Illness (WARNING: Sensitive Stuff)

You lived a real, American Horror Story, in my opinion. Yeah, it makes me sad too. You know my story, going to a clinic when I was in college. They did both electroshock therapy and lobotomies there at the time and I was afraid that someone was going to raise the bar to the next level. My parents were like yours in that after going several times, I was able to convince them to cancel my appointments. My psychiatrist was getting angry with me.

I had a psychotic break when I was in 7th grade. I lost an entire week on consciousness, with no memories. I simply came out of it and said, "Where am I?" I was home in bed.

Life is sometimes hard on us, and given this site, I think life has been hard on a lot of us. I had an experience last night while I was sleeping that was most disturbing, but that is probably for another thread or a PM.

I hope you can hang in there and things don't go backwards for you. I'm glad you and your friend have a music project. My piano practicing has helped hold me together, that and a few other things which keep me busy. Being passionate about something and staying busy can be beneficial. My therapist talked to me yesterday about confronting my grief and leaning into it a bit more, so I'm trying to do that this week. But now, the house seems different. I'll leave it at that.

Hang tough my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    You lived a real, American Horror Story, in my opinion. Yeah, it makes me sad too. You know my story, going to a clinic when I was in college. They did both electroshock therapy and lobotomies there at the time and I was afraid that someone was going to raise the bar to the next level. My parents were like yours in that after going several times, I was able to convince them to cancel my appointments. My psychiatrist was getting angry with me.

I had a psychotic break when I was in 7th grade. I lost an entire week on consciousness, with no memories. I simply came out of it and said, "Where am I?" I was home in bed.

Life is sometimes hard on us, and given this site, I think life has been hard on a lot of us. I had an experience last night while I was sleeping that was most disturbing, but that is probably for another thread or a PM.

I hope you can hang in there and things don't go backwards for you. I'm glad you and your friend have a music project. My piano practicing has helped hold me together, that and a few other things which keep me busy. Being passionate about something and staying busy can be beneficial. My therapist talked to me yesterday about confronting my grief and leaning into it a bit more, so I'm trying to do that this week. But now, the house seems different. I'll leave it at that.

Hang tough my friend.
    Hey dogboy

Yeah, I know your story. I guess your youth wasn't as fun as mine either.

Those times in the criminal asylum were horrible, but I do remember one moment over there worth remembering. My dad visited me and we managed to find an empty auditorium, then we sat next to each other and we both broke into tears, he pulled me, his 18 year old son, into his lap and I started sucking my thumb. I fell asleep in his lap for like an hour. He rubbed my hair all the time. After spending all night crying and afraid, it was what I needed.

Electroshock Therapy is... well... it works but as I said, it is painful and messes with your memory.

I hope you can keep working on your grief, as I am with my depression. The music project is definitely helping. I started seeing a new therapist 3 weeks ago. I have a session a week.

If you need to talk, you know where to find me.

I myself as an Autistic with Cerebral Palsy, I have had to deal with chronic Unipolar Depression for decades.
    I have never been in the Nut House.
    But, I have had times when I should have been in restraints to stop self-injury/self-hitting episodes.
    I am "better", but still need monitoring to not be "crashing".
    At least I have my little brother to keep an eye on me, since I am a Disabled Senior Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by kik91 View Post
    I guess I just wanted to share my story… about how strong and brave I think I’ve been.
    Hi kik91,

Thanks for sharing your history. I'm glad you have got through those awful experiences, but very sorry you had to go through them.

I wish you well with your journey of recovery.
    Last edited by Osito; 13-Nov-2018 at 00:16.