Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Mother's Guns

I have doubts that these are high dollar guns.

I can't confirm unless I see more information...but it has to be a seriously rare or historic gun to command high values.

And with rare guns...condition still matters unless it is literally one of only a handful in existence.

Also Walmart is hardly the pricing clearinghouse for guns.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    I have doubts that these are high dollar guns.

I can't confirm unless I see more information...but it has to be a seriously rare or historic gun to command high values.

And with rare guns...condition still matters unless it is literally one of only a handful in existence.

Also Walmart is hardly the pricing clearinghouse for guns.
    I'm just saying if you don't deal in a specific kind of item on a daily basis you could be looking at something rare and expensive and not realize it and pictures that barely even show what is in the picture (let alone pertinent details like manufacturer, model number, serial number, etc) also it may not be worth thousands, but could still be worth a few hundred, which is better than just having the guns destroyed.

Google the names/model numbers on the guns. Also, it will probably come up anyway, there are online gun stores who sell similar guns and you can get an estimate as to what they're worth. Finally, if you want to sell them, try calling local gun dealers. When my dad passed, I wondered about his shotgun. It turns out that his particular model wasn't worth much but the exact same one the year before was worth something because - get this - it had a faulty action. All I would have had to do was send the bolt in and I would have had some money ($500). It was from some consumer lawsuit.

You say the one is a 12gage? Then neither is a service related weapon. The BOTTOM one LOOKS to be a bolt action. The US government uses 12gage PUMP action shotguns not bolt actions (Trust me on that one. We lugged a 12gage around for 12years in our squad car as MPs.) The top gun LOOKS to have a barrel to small for a 12gage either a 22... Or a 223 maybe? But the stock is wood. So no. That's not a government weapon either.
    Someone up top suggested taking them to your local cop shop for a once over? I wouldn't.
    Take them to your local gun shop. One look and the man at the counter can tell you a lot more than I can just based on a photo.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG this photo is SO fuzzy. I THINK I see a loading port on the stock of that top one? If so you have a .22lr semiautomatic. Worth between $75 and 120 depending on the condition.

- - - Updated - - -

These are both hunting guns. And your dad was pulling your leg, if he told you they were GI issued
    Last edited by ESPF; 27-Oct-2018 at 20:38.

Better pictures would really be helpful, especially with serial or manufacturer info. At first blush the top looks like a Marlin 80.

Bottom one is definitely a bolt action shotgun. Dunno make or model, need a better picture for that.

Just be aware that by taking them out of the house, you can be charged with stealing them. They are not legally yours. Depending on what city or state you live in, could be in a load of trouble just by transporting them. If you know someone who knows guns and you trust, ask them.

Nether is military.

Any gun shop can appraise them. and by that i mean a regular gun store not a walmart or Big 5 sporting good store.

What I would do to render them un-usable is just get rid of the ammo. Sure, she could replace it, but she'll probably not even notice that it's GONE.

Then she's basically waving a stick at you and your friends. :P And getting rid of ammo is NOT as big a crime as actually removing the guns from the house. If OP knew more about weaponry then I would advise just removing the firing pins and stashing them somewhere. Renders the entire gun inert.

It took a while, but I figured out what the guns were. The one is a Winchester .22 caliber rifle, and the other is a Sears and Roebuck J.C. Higgins 12 gauge shotgun. Both are active (a friend helped me test them), but neither one was loaded, and the age of the ammo makes that a moot point anyway. The ammo is for the 12 gauge, and there's no ammo for the .22 caliber one. At this point, the ammo is in one corner of my room and the two guns are in the other corner. The 12 gauge has a safety switch, which I used to lock the gun, but that can easily be turned off. Despite the fact that the ammo is unsafe and possibly unstable due to the age, the guns are pretty much oversized paper weights now that I have them. All I can say is that at least their in safe hands now that I have them.