Northshore new product November! :DDD

I like the size. I am typically in between a medium and large. Being a little bigger than a medium this diaper fits me quit well. The tapes seem a little bigger which is good. So far I am very impressed.

ginger22 said:
I like the size. I am typically in between a medium and large. Being a little bigger than a medium this diaper fits me quit well. The tapes seem a little bigger which is good. So far I am very impressed.
+1

Adam,

Any chance the absorbent core can be shifted northwards? I've had a few instances, especially with side sleeping, where I'm seemingly missing the core and leaking over the top and into the sides. And even with perfect back sleeping, I don't think I've been able to get a drop on the rear-most portion.

This is my favorite thing about the Betterdrys. The core goes almost all the way to the top of the padding.

Tungsten said:
Adam,

Any chance the absorbent core can be shifted northwards? I've had a few instances, especially with side sleeping, where I'm seemingly missing the core and leaking over the top and into the sides. And even with perfect back sleeping, I don't think I've been able to get a drop on the rear-most portion.

This is my favorite thing about the Betterdrys. The core goes almost all the way to the top of the padding.

What size? I think only Large could even be possible. The core comes up quite high in small and medium.

Yeah these will soak up a giant amount but seems to mostly keep everything up front. It is a bit odd at times to have a giant bulge in the front and a big portion of waisted padding mid crotch and back. Is that just what happens with a product that hold so much? I think I had the same issue with the PeekABUs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, it is the Large. I just measured about 115mm from the top of the core to the top of the padding. If you're not an, um, show-er, it can be a bit of a problem when laying down.

Tungsten said:
Indeed, it is the Large. I just measured about 115mm from the top of the core to the top of the padding. If you're not an, um, show-er, it can be a bit of a problem when laying down.

Ok, it's something well need to look into further. Thx

Oh I can tell you that I am a well packed man and I am nervous about where things end up sometimes. I’m not even sure what the remedy is for that. People have suggested using a booster to hold the fella down but that could compromise the whole diaper right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tungsten said:
Any chance the absorbent core can be shifted northwards?

Many of us have mentioned that, (I may have been one of the first ;) ) but unfortunately that's not as easy of a change as most other things. Select your print, tick a box, they have many to choose from. Different tapes, make your selection. Pick a size from the list. But the position of the padding isn't really negotiable. Because it's hourglass-shaped, it has to correspond with the hourglass-shape of the shell. Even moving it a small amount (like 1") forward would shift the padding in the "back corners" (where diapers are the most likely to leak) toward the edge of the shell where it narrows in the back, dramatically increasing the chances of leaking. (abena x-plus has that issue with their pad placement)

The only fix is to change the shape of the pad, adding more to the front end. But the pad, like the shell and top sheet, are cut with large, expensive dies. You can't just change a die. Companies like northshore select which dies to use, to choose what size of diapers they want in that run. Each set is for the shell, top sheet, and the pad. I suppose there's a chance they may have more than one choice of shape for the pad, but it's very unlikely given the cost.

So if they want to get padding higher up front, that means someone has to pay to make a new set of dies for the new pad shape. Unless the manufacturer gets that request from several clients, they're not going to eat that cost. So NS would have to pay for the R&D / manufacture of the new dies, if that's even an option. That's a big expense the manufacturer would pass on to NS, that would be difficult to justify. (I'm not holding my breath)

Tungsten said:
Adam,

Good news! We have been successful at adding 1 inch to the MegaMax size large core...Half inch taller in front and half inch taller in back. We can't push it forward as suggested.

This is confirmed for the next batch which will arrive in Feb/Mar timeframe. We think we can extend it even another inch longer but this will require some tooling changes and testing and won't be fully tested before our January production run.

Thanks so much for helping us continue to push the limits to better meet your needs.

NorthShoreAdam said:
Good news! We have been successful at adding 1 inch to the MegaMax size large core...Half inch taller in front and half inch taller in back.

Great to hear! I look forward to trying the "rev2" mega with the improved padding. (and toned down wing log) Of course the question that everyone's going to have.... "When will these be available?"

bambinod said:
Great to hear! I look forward to trying the "rev2" mega with the improved padding. (and toned down wing log) Of course the question that everyone's going to have.... "When will these be available?"

They'll also have the improved landing zone with stronger adhesive for all sizes...and it will be extended closer to edges on sizes Medium and Large.

We're hoping for late February, but exact production timing is still tentative as we work on lining up all the needed materials for the next run.

NorthShoreAdam said:
They'll also have the improved landing zone with stronger adhesive for all sizes...and it will be extended closer to edges on sizes Medium and Large.

We're hoping for late February, but exact production timing is still tentative as we work on lining up all the needed materials for the next run.

I thought diaper manufacturing was a lot more "hands-off" - you told them what you want and they did it. It sounds like you're staying a lot more involved in the process.

bambinod said:
I thought diaper manufacturing was a lot more "hands-off" - you told them what you want and they did it. It sounds like you're staying a lot more involved in the process.

Well it's not so easy but after 17 years, I have a much better understanding of the process than most of the sales people at the diaper factories. I've spent quite a lot of time visiting factories and working directly with people in manufacturing, R&D and engineering. There have been dozens of improvements over standard models that are now in production because I persisted with the factories and worked with them to find a way to get them to work. Some took them years of development to invent new technologies to get the results that customers like you asked for. Many of these features have been applied to lots of other brands buying from the same factories which I'm totally OK with. I help them figure out where to get to...and the factory figures out how to get it done...and then we've raised the bar for everyone. The more people that buy these new features, the cheaper it is for all us to incorporate more features...and the better quality products people have all over the world to feel confidently dry.

And this is why Northshore is by far the best supplier of incontinence items. They are the exception to the rule, because they care about their customers. Thank You Northshore!

Any plans to put the Megas or Crinklz on your Amazon storefront?

ndyh said:

Was trying to avoid it. Amazon has made it so much more expensive to sell through them the last few years as they prefer all companies like us go out of business. Why is having them on Amazon important to you?

ndyh said:

Going through any paid reseller storefront is going to raise the price you pay, they have to get their cut. Same for amazon, ebay, etc.

Buying direct is always going to get you the lower price. I only do ebay and amazon for things that aren't available by other means.

I recently received a "skin care" order from amazon though, including a 6pk of zeesorb AF, some new hydrating lotion I'm going to try (along with a tube of gold bond eczema creme), and a tube of McKesson AF. (so much fun having to deal with skin that is either too dry or too damp!) In THIS case, these products are only available locally at the drugstore, and so they get a huge mark-up on all of it, easily blasting past amazon's markup. Normally the local "brick-n-mortar" stores will have a bit of a markup, but they're a store so I can understand that. But when you get into drugstore-specific products, that's their specialty and they know they have little competition as you can't get it at walmart etc. So they gouge you hard enough to make even Amazon's prices look attractive.

I've only ordered diapers from Amazon a few times, when I wanted to try a bag of something that I'd need to order from across the pond and wanted a sample before committing to, or wanted to sample something that was currently out of stock at the usual store.

Amazon does have an edge when placing mixed orders like I described above. I was able to get ALL of those items to ship in a single box because I found what I wanted and then located a listing on Amazon for that where they had it at their main warehouse. (it's common to find the same product listed 20 times on amazon, often in different quantities, at different prices, MANY of which are drop-ship, and charge you additional shipping) Since $7 shipped all of that tpgether, it ended up being a much better deal than if I had tried to buy it all locally, or online from individual sellers. THIS is really the only "good" way to shop at Amazon. I frequently keep non-essential items in my cart at Amazon, and wait until I have several items before placing the order, so I can save with that "combined shipping" angle.

ndyh said:

I know it sounds good in the short run to have everything on Amazon, but here is what happens in the long run...(IF) Crinklz were added to Amazon. We've seen it over and over happen to brand after brand, in category after category...

- Prices will start out high for companies like NorthShore to sell on Amazon and pay their high commissions and fees, which can exceed 50% if you stock in their warehouses to get Prime.

- Many people will switch from buying Crinklz at NorthShore to buying through Amazon, even at higher prices, for convenience and Prime shipping

- A Price war will break out among Crinklz resellers on Amazon to start prices dropping rapidly, since the lowest price gets all the sales.

- All Crinklz resellers will have to stop advertising outside of Amazon because they can no longer afford it. Crinklz will no longer be of any interest for companies like NorthShore to stock.

- Amazon will see sales increasing rapidly as prices drop and Crinklz will be targeted by Amazon for takeover. The whole marketplace concept was designed to create this bidding war that nobody except Amazon themselves could survive.

- Amazon will contact the makers of Crinklz and start buying direct...but they will only pay very cheap price.

- Crinklz will have no choice to accept since nobody else can compete with the low prices on Amazon. Amazon will promise to grow sales 10000% for Crinklz.

- Once signed up, Amazon will notify Crinklz that there are all kinds of extra fees to selling through Amazon that they weren't aware of...beware of the fine print.

- Crinklz will read the fine print and discover that when they started selling to Amazon direct, they automatically granted Amazon a lifetime license to use all Crinklz trademarks...there's no going back...you can never cut them off...they can always source your brand one way or another...

- Crinklz will be forced to greatly reduce quality of the diapers in order to sell to Amazon at the low low prices with all the extra fees.

- Customers will start to complain that Crinklz has changed and is not made well like before.

- Amazon will introduce their own "Crinklz-like" diapers called "Crinkly"...also with poor quality, but even half the price of Crinklz. Reviews for Amazon version will be good because people will not be expecting good quality Crinklz for $25 per case.

- Amazon will sell tons of these new diapers at this low price to everyone who can get by with poor quality diapers, but wants printed design.

- For those that need absorbency, leak protection, coverage, and someone to help guide them through this process without judgment...sorry your SOL because by this time NorthShore would be gone and I'll be the guy delivering your Amazon branded diapers.

Don't believe me...I'll bet there are many of you out there who can vouch for the vast difference in quality in so many other diaper brands over the last 8 years since Amazon started getting aggressive at encouraging price wars and sourcing products direct.

So, of course we can put Crinklz on Amazon for sure, even with Nationwide Prime...but I really like the Crinklz brand and products and I don't have the heart to put them through the same downfall that affected so many other great brands. How much is convenience worth?? You've heard of the slippery slope...Jeff Bezos is the guy at the top laughing as all the rest of us try to climb the slope and slide right back down.

Sorry...need to run...Amazon delivery just pulling up... :cool:

Yup I agree just look what happened to toys r us it's not a pleasant thing to have something you love go away or have less quality than you remember

Back