ecoAble Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisAshley

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Has anybody ever measured how much liquid the inserts and prefolds for the extended size ecoAble adult diapers can absorb?

I'm trying to figure out how many prefolds I'll need to order to equate my ABU Simple with boosters.

I'm not sure of the actual capacity, but keep in mind that cloth doesn't really "absorb" liquid like a disposable. It wicks liquid all over the diaper which is super nice, but it doesn't lock it away like a disposable insert. I like to use them on occasion though, because it is more economical.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If the inserts are microfiber around 12oz the prefolds or trifolds probly twice that. I dont have a good measurement method but the more natural fiber the better- for me. Maybe 3 of each if those will fit in there all at once?

It depends, I use ecoAble for my night time diaper, I use the diaper they send for the inside, I add 2 other cloth "doubles" and the linter they send, so it absorbs so much. You can stuff it with as much diapers material as you need/want.

The Inserts are a microfiber: https://ecoable.net/3-pack-snap-in-inserts-for-cloth-diaper-covers-youth-teen-adult/
but the prefolds are a bamboo/cotton mix: https://ecoable.net/3-pack-prefold-inserts-for-cloth-diaper-covers-youth-teen-adult/

One good way to measure would be to take this insert or prefold, weigh it, submerge it in water to let it absorb as much water as it can, and then weigh it again. The density of water is 1 gram per mL. So the difference in grams of weight between dry and wet equates to the mL of water absorbed. One fluid once of water also equates to 30 grams (30 mL).

Last edited:
No idea on actual capacity - but I use these very often at night and have never had an issue with leakage or even had worries about leakage. Very very nice diapers, these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FrancisAshley said:
Has anybody ever measured how much liquid the inserts and prefolds for the extended size ecoAble adult diapers can absorb?

I'm trying to figure out how many prefolds I'll need to order to equate my ABU Simple with boosters.

I couldn't give you a number as far as capacity goes, but, I've worn them with two prefold inserts and the snap in contoured insert, and they've lasted me a good 6-8 hours. The prefolds hold a significant amount of liquid considering how thin they are, it's actually quite shocking. The other thing is that I've never really got them to the point of leaking either. The contoured pads make it really difficult to feel how used they actually are, so I haven't really put them to the test because of that. If you're looking for feeling dry, these are it.

You can't go wrong with two prefold inserts in each diaper. That depends on your liquid intake as well.

Another thing is that the leg gussets aren't all that tall and I wouldn't really wear more than two per diaper because of that. However they absorb pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I did get one EcoAble Diaper cover with the snap-in insert and prefolds. It does look nice and putting three prefolds makes it delightfully bulky. The one thing that I'm ambivalent about is that they do not cover the hips all that well. I felt exposed on the sides after enjoying the large-area coverage of my ABU Simple diapers. The wings on the ABU diaper provided a nice place to put in some boosters to cover the hips and provide absorbency even when wetting while laying on my side.

I'm wondering if there are good cloth diapers that provide that same degree of coverage.

I'd post this in Arrticles/Diaper Reviews, but apparently, that option was not available to me. So I'll post here. This is still informal and only preliminary.

I had ordered:

Adult Diaper Cover (white, extended size)
https://ecoable.net/youth-teen-adul.....er-no-inserts/
Snap-in Charcoal Bamboo Inserts (3-pack, extended size)
https://ecoable.net/snap-in-charcoa.....n-adult-sizes/
Prefold Inserts (3-pack, extended size)
https://ecoable.net/prefold-inserts.....n-adult-sizes/

After pre-washing them twice, I tried them on one night this week. I decided to see how thick I could go. I tried three pre-fold inserts under the charcoal bamboo insert. Because of the extreme bulk, I had to fold the prefolds two ways instead of three ways. The diaper was still so bulky that there was no way I'd be able to fit my baggy pants over them.

They were okay and did not leak, even when I wet while lying sideways in bed, which was something I could not do with my ABU Simple disposables.

Then today, I decided to really put this diaper through its paces. I wore the diaper with two pre-folds (folded three ways this time) under the charcoal bamboo insert, supported by a onesie, and wore a pair of denim pants over them, one size too large, and then went hiking with a DL friend in the mountains, 30 minutes from my home.

The bulge of the diaper was somewhat noticeable, but I was away from home, were it was extremely unlikely that I'd meet anybody who knew me outside of Narnia (see my Profile). We did meet a few other hikers, but they either didn't notice or didn't say anything, and I didn't care. I had drank a glass of water before I left, and while hiking, continued to drink another two liters of water from my CamelBak water bladder in my backpack.

Walking with a slight waddle along 8.5 miles of hiking trails in the mountains, I wet quite a few times, and was quite soggy by the time we ended the hike, but did not leak. That is, until we sat down at a restaurant for a late lunch/early dinner. Sitting down caused some of the trapped urine to be squeezed out of the charcoal insert. The bottom of my pants ended up slightly damp. Thankfully, there was no noticeable odor, probably due to my urine being clear since all I drank was water.

When I got home, I took off my diaper and discovered that the inserts were completely wet, from front to back. This is something that never happened with my disposable diapers. Only from the front to the lower rear of the disposable diapers ever got wet, but never all the way up to the waist in the back.

I had previously done an all-day outing with another DL friend in my ABU Simple disposable with several boosters, all under my terry-lined diaper cover. That combination absorbed more urine than my cloth diaper today, though still being able to urinate two liters into them without leaking (until I sat down) was impressive and the cloth was fully used.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I'm getting back into cloth diapers after not wearing them for the last 4 years. I ordered an ecoable with insert so I'm eager to see how well it performs. I still have over dozen Dependeco diaper covers and a few PUL and vinyl pull-on covers so I'll be ordering regular cloth prefolds too. Cloth diapers are so much more comfortable (until they are really wet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back