Cloth diapers and PUL pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclist

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi guys

I have a question regarding cloth diapers. I would like to know is there anything I can put on the diaper to mask the urine smell. I only use them in bed as I find they are just too bulky to use during the day. I do suffer from frequent bowel problems as well and I understand there is not a lot I can do about that. I don’t want to put anything on them that will affect the absorbency.

Also is there anything I can put in the box where I keep the wet used ones that stops it from stinking to high heaven?

Regards a long suffering IC

I find that baby powder helps with the odor, but it depends on how strong that odor is. In the morning I go to the shower with diaper on and put it on the shower floor, squeezing it out about 3 time during shower. This makes it much easier to store until laundry time. I bag it and store it until then.

Mine stink too :(. I have a 30 degree, 15 minute wash on my washing machine and put them straight into that without detergent every morning and then they air out before a proper wash when there are a few to wash.

I realise this is a bit extravagant but it avoids trying to rinse them out by hand.

If you keep your wet and/or soiled ones in a covered pail you can rinse them with water a couple times after they are used. You can also try a deodorizing cake (moth balls). That usually keeps the odor down. Wash then frequently.

make sure you are drinking enough water, and yes sometimes bleaching is needed. to clean the bacteria up and out.

Thanks for the reply guys. I will definitely try the deodorant cake, didn’t think about that... doh! I definitely drink enough water, it’s nearly the only thing I drink, I just have a kidney issue that means I produce more urine than the average person (nearly twice as much) so when I change them in the morning they are pretty soaked.. I don’t have the same issue with disposables as they have a internal deodorant.. I mainly wear cloth as it gives my skin a break from disposables and also they don’t leak when sleeping on your side, which I find pretty much every disposable does.

Cheers

Try this:
Give them a full wash with just water to rinse them, if theres bubbles it means they still have some residual soap in them and arent getting it all out during wash cycle-adding to the smell. Try rinsing then washing with a little less than normal amount of detergent, rinsing cycle once more then hot dry. If theres any odor to them at that point they need to be “stripped” theres alot of info out there about that you can read.
What you discover will be helpful to many I bet.

I think some add I little vinger or so I Hurd that helps but not Shure

I wash my diapers with a non chlorine bleach, no fabric softener. My PUL pants are washed warm and air dried. I rinse my wet diapers with warm water and wring them out. I wear 24/7 so I wash my diapers every other day in hot water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back