Thread: Doesn't it seem like they are making a lot of "female" versions of things?

Default Doesn't it seem like they are making a lot of "female" versions of things?

I'm talking specifically Movies, TV Shows, and sometimes games, I feel like its largely unnecessary and at least in games you should have a choice (like i would of liked being able to create a character or play as a guy in Horizon Zero Dawn, but it's still a great game worth playing, especially with the 15 hour DLC for $20 new in stores), and theres a recent article on AC Odyssey where the writer is basically saying they should have just made it where there was no choice and the hero was female.

I mean sure apparently the acting of the guy was terrible (or so they said), but still why not enjoy that people can make their own choices even if it isn't what you would have done?

I've played games as a guy, forcibly, for a long long time and now the shoe is on the other foot and people are complaining about it? Stop worrying about the apparent gender of pixels and enjoy your gameplay. :P

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    I've played games as a guy, forcibly, for a long long time and now the shoe is on the other foot and people are complaining about it? Stop worrying about the apparent gender of pixels and enjoy your gameplay. :P
    I do enjoy games regardless of character gender, but a lot of games at least give you a choice, just like how AC Odyssey gives you the choice of playing as a Male or female character, and apparently that isn't good enough for the writer as they seem to want a main title AC where the main character is Female and everyone will just have to deal with it.

Like it is "sexist" otherwise or something if it isn't a standing symbol of female empowerment (basically Feminism)

For some games, being able to choose gender makes sense. I would argue, though, that for others, especially story driven ones, it does not. Games where you're playing as a specific, fleshed out character would suffer from the "generic avatar," treatment. I think a good example is the last of us series. In the first, you play as Joel. The story wouldn't make any sense if you could just play as another character. Same for the second game coming out soon, apparently we're going to play as Ellie in the continuation (I'm stoked to see things from her perspective, personally).

And on top of all this, I'd be pretty excited to see more media featuring well defined female leads. They don't have to all be GIRL POWER media either, just stuff about a person with flaws that happens to be a woman. After all, I don't think it'd be hard to argue that guys have more media like that for themselves. Don't women deserve to see themselves in media just as much as guys?

I agree about story driven games with a specific character already laid out having to be that way, that's why I don't mind having to play as Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn.

It depends on why they are making the main character a women. If the store can be told well like that fine, (HZD) but there is a problem with what called 3rd wave feminism (1st and 2nd wave are fine, but 3rd wave)

3rd wavers (like Anita Sarkeesian, look up MundainMatt he covers her well, also lookup factual feminist [aka Christina Hoff Sommers] she does a good rebuttal of her.) will say things like "everything is racist, everything is sexist, everything is homophobic" (direct quote) And want to make men take a back set, because it time for women to take over and men to fad into the background, and that men are inferior. They don't want equal rights they want to swap what once was. Mz Sarkeesian does not like gaming and just wants change it to further her ends. So for her she wants to all protagonists as women because "men have had their time" They want all protagonists as women even if it makes no sense to the story.

Long story short, it depends on why they are adding the person, are they doing it for a good story, this is a good reason to have a women protagonist (such as HZD), or are they doing it to just check off a diversity checkbox (such as the british female bionic women in the front lines in battlefield 5, a game that claims to have historically accuate WW2 feel to it, yes women fought in WW2, in the east [aka russia] they were front line, but in the west they were not front line fighters, and some one with an amputation would not be on the front lines, the character was just a checkbox character)