Setting up an ebay account for littles

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for making money on e bay. Take the price you sell the item minus 30 percent. Ya it sounds crazy but Pay Pal fees,e bay sell fees and shipping all adds up. I have been a seller on e bay since 1990. You don't make a lot on resale items. If you manufacture then that maybe a different issue. That is my two cents minus 30%

Let's say you want to sell a diaper that costs $1 and you sell it for $2 with actual cost shipping which will be around $3.50 for the cheapest first class mail you can get.

Paypal and ebay will take from that $5.50, 40 cents + 15%, or $1.22.
After you pay for the shipping, you'll be losing 22 cents on every sale.

Try making it up in volume I guess.

Yeah, I hate Fees on eBay, shipping has never bothered me; but mostly i haven't done much of any kind of business on eBay because everything costs too much i don't find it worth my time unless i can sell things at a certain price or higher; and then you have "Nightmare Customers", which is to say people that seem like normal customers; until they make up some excuse to try getting a refund.

I do from time to time sell some diapers if I ever overstock in some way, shape, or form, particularly if I need money.

If you could sell things on a community website like this you could avoid eBay fees at least, but the bad thing would be a smaller base of potential customers.

Either way, selling things on eBay is rough business and I hope it all goes well.

clothbaby said:
As for making money on e bay. Take the price you sell the item minus 30 percent. Ya it sounds crazy but Pay Pal fees,e bay sell fees and shipping all adds up. I have been a seller on e bay since 1990. You don't make a lot on resale items. If you manufacture then that maybe a different issue. That is my two cents minus 30%
Sounds about right, and in business it pays to be pessimistic about these costs as there's always hidden ones sneaking in - cost of packing, cost of time packing + posting, time spent dealing with e-mails that lead nowhere, filing, accounts, tax...

I don't bother selling anything on eBay for less than about £20 as it's hardy worth my spare time photographing it, listing it, packing it, visiting the post office etc. for ~60% of £20.

You could easily end up working for well below minimum wage like this... fine if you've got nothing better to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back