A gross moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuddleWoozle

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Was at the thrift store and there was this car next to mine with an old guy driving it. No big deal. I went in, came back out and while I was walking past the rear of his car, he pops the trunk to put in his wifes walker while he was still sitting inside the car. Inside the trunk is FULL of used pull-up depends/Always discreet diapers. D:

I was like "OMG. No." in my head but I just kept on walking and going "Ewies." in my brain. My mom was with me and she actually said very quietly to me "Oh that's gross." (To be clear, not the fact that they used diapers, but that they had a bunch of dirty ones in their car.)

I normally don't go around looking into other peoples cars/trunks, but he popped it when we were right behind it and I looked to see what the noise was. And then was sorry I looked. :p

So...more or less just wanted to share as a PSA to dispose of your padding. (Or, if you MUST horde used one like a squirrel does nuts, please not to open your hiding place in plain view of other people. XD)

(Also, felt kind of bad for the old folks driving the car.)

Are they living inside the car? Why can't they dispose of their dirty diapers?that is gross.what isn't gross is messing and DISPOSSING THEM!! Don't be a litter bug

Antientmariner said:
Are they living inside the car? Why can't they dispose of their dirty diapers?that is gross.what isn't gross is messing and DISPOSSING THEM!! Don't be a litter bug

It didn't appear that they were living in the vehicle. They were elderly folks though, at least in their late 60's/early 70's.

I'll never know WHY, but I would be willing to hazard the guess that they were out, had an accident and needed to remove the dirty one. So instead of throwing them into a trash can, they threw them into the trunk of their car. And judging by their difficulty in getting around and the depth of the car trunk, they probably would have trouble reaching them to get them out. (It also looked suspiciously like someone had shot liquid poo down the side of their car. I thought going in that it must have been dirt/mud but after the trunk contents...I'm not so sure! :p )

But who knows, really?

I'll bet the inside of that car had an interesting smell. This is way every car need an ejection seat button.

really they are at a thrift store and they can't ask for a few extra bags and toss them, sheesh ><;

That poor car has seen things...

rennecfox said:
really they are at a thrift store and they can't ask for a few extra bags and toss them, sheesh ><;
Out here you can’t get plastic bags very easy or at the very least you get charged for for them.

This reminds me of an incident a few years back. We had a church function on and a lady who had been a few times was there and noted she had a problem with the lights on her car not working so myself and another member went to try and help her. And we opened the car door we were nearly knocked out by incredible stench. Her car had garbage piled from front to back and I mean pizza box’s cat food cans and I thought I spotted a used pull-up in the back but by that stage I was backing out. Fortunately problem has resolved itself. But we were totally shocked what some people do. We felt very sorry for her, it’s a sad state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it sounds like it is time for an intervention. it is so sad.

CuddleWoozle said:
Was at the thrift store and there was this car next to mine with an old guy driving it. No big deal. I went in, came back out and while I was walking past the rear of his car, he pops the trunk to put in his wifes walker while he was still sitting inside the car. Inside the trunk is FULL of used pull-up depends/Always discreet diapers. D:

I was like "OMG. No." in my head but I just kept on walking and going "Ewies." in my brain. My mom was with me and she actually said very quietly to me "Oh that's gross." (To be clear, not the fact that they used diapers, but that they had a bunch of dirty ones in their car.)

I normally don't go around looking into other peoples cars/trunks, but he popped it when we were right behind it and I looked to see what the noise was. And then was sorry I looked. :p

So...more or less just wanted to share as a PSA to dispose of your padding. (Or, if you MUST horde used one like a squirrel does nuts, please not to open your hiding place in plain view of other people. XD)

(Also, felt kind of bad for the old folks driving the car.)

Maybe they were on a road trip and didn't want to toss them into a random trash can. Maybe they were also taking them to the dump or w/e, some people take their trash to the dump instead of leaving it sit in the trash can.

There is a used diaper recycling place somewhere, I watched some youtube video on it. They mostly just burn them, not really recycle, but they collect them from medical and nursing homes. I doubt it was for that reason though.

Is it possible they're suffering early stages of some sort of Dementia and can't remember what's in the trunk by the time they get home?

MickeyM said:
There is a used diaper recycling place somewhere, I watched some youtube video on it. They mostly just burn them, not really recycle, but they collect them from medical and nursing homes. I doubt it was for that reason though.

In the north of Germany
They burn them down to gain electric as well as heat energy ;)

Andybun said:
In the north of Germany
They burn them down to gain electric as well as heat energy ;)

I've heard of that. It isn't just burning the trash as you'd think. They use an elec plasma arc to vapirize it to ash and hydrogen gas. The hydrogen is then used to power the arc, the facility, and hydrogen powered trash trucks. Now that's an environmentally friendly way to get rid of thet trash. It even had the cost benefits of no electric or fuel bills too.

Here's just one link.
https://www.wired.com/2012/01/ff_trashblaster/

I'm gonna try and answer the questions as best I can from the one minute interaction I had with the guy before we went inside. (He was sitting in his car next to mine and saw me bring out the wheelchair for my mom 'cause she's had surgery on her foot.)

- They might be in the early stages of dementia, but I wouldn't be able to tell based on just a one minute "Oh, you got the wheelchair?" "Yeah, for her." "My wife needs it sometimes." But he seemed to remember that her walker went into the trunk and came out of it?

- There weren't quite enough of them to be taking them to a dump/recycling place. I don't think there are any public dumps left around my area nor anyplace that recycles used diapers. They looked like they'd been in there a while and I would hazard the ballpark guess that it was probably about 20-30 of them. (Which is more than enough...one or two I probably would have said "Ah, they're gonna take 'em home and toss 'em.")

-They weren't on a road trip. They guy mentioned bringing his wife around that particular Goodwill a couple of times a month. (When he mentioned she needed the wheelchair sometimes.) So they've gotta live fairly close by.

Slomo said:
I've heard of that. It isn't just burning the trash as you'd think. They use an elec plasma arc to vapirize it to ash and hydrogen gas. The hydrogen is then used to power the arc, the facility, and hydrogen powered trash trucks. Now that's an environmentally friendly way to get rid of thet trash. It even had the cost benefits of no electric or fuel bills too.

Here's just one link.
https://www.wired.com/2012/01/ff_trashblaster/

singing a different song here are we eh? LOL

xpluswearer said:
singing a different song here are we eh? LOL

Nope, I was replying to Andybun and expanding on how Germany (and now parts of the US) have begun handling their trash removal in a way that is both environmentally friendy, and quite profitable too.

Slomo said:
Nope, I was replying to Andybun and expanding on how Germany (and now parts of the US) have begun handling their trash removal in a way that is both environmentally friendy, and quite profitable too.
And you said to me that doing this would be catastrophic no?
Maryland has been doing trash burning for decades and Maryland aint a barren wasteland.

xpluswearer said:
And you said to me that doing this would be catastrophic no?
Maryland has been doing trash burning for decades and Maryland aint a barren wasteland.

I said burning them is bad, yes. Go back and re-read what I said about how Germany (and now Vegas) uses a plasma arc to vaporoze the trash though. That produces hydrogen and ash, no CO2 like you get with a standard incinerator. It's completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back