Underrated Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What games did you think were quite a bit better than the reviews they typically got?

I have 2 I would say are a lot better than their reviews, which were kinda average, Yooka-Laylee (its basically like a newer Banjo Kazooie, made by the same people that made Banjo Kazooie, which left Rare and created their own studio), and the 2nd would be We Happy Few; which I feel is a pretty enjoyable game, although there are a few nuisances in it; most of which you can resolve by getting skills once you have earned enough skill points, or can be overcome by remembering a few tips/tricks.

I mean I have come across a few glitches in optional quests, and the map seems to randomize (which means looking up videos to see their maps might not help you very much), but it is still a long video game that I find fun that has a lot to do and there are 3 characters (each with different specialties and disadvantages), once you beat the game with one character (by finishing their story line) it starts you off with the next character.

Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem: I feel like this game doesn't get discussed enough when survival horror is brought up, even though this game was completely revolutionary in its take on survival horror. It's one thing to have intense graphics, scarce ammo/no ability to fight enemies, and just general horror aesthetic, but a player can really start to sweat if the game pretends to cut the video feed, unplug the controller, or even erase all his/her data. To this day, it stands out as my favorite survival horror game of all time.

For me personally the most under rated game(s) are the Metro 2033 games. For me they are gaming perfection. There is also the older PC horror game Nocturne that came out exactly the same time as Half Life and got completely ignored and forgotten. Back in the days of PS2 there was a horror game called Echo Night Beyond, but the ghosts or monster spirits would only appear when you where physically close to them. That was a truly freaky horror game because you never knew what would happen around every single step.

The Last Remnant. A little known JRPG that came out in 2008. It had a big budget and was done by none other than Square Enix. The game flopped. Though it didn't flop because the gameplay or story was bad. They decided to use Unreal Engine for this game which... Didn't work very well at the time. The scale of the battles in TLR were massive, having hundreds of enemies on the battlefield at once. As epic as these battles were it caused absolutely horrible frame dropping issues. Oh and several of the bosses were RNG based, you would fight them and immediately they'd use their strongest ability and wipe the entire party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back