Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Taco Bell Employee refused service to customer not ordering in Spanish

I could order in Spanish but the order taker also should be willing to help the customer in English as well.

to be an american citizen you must speak fluent english. Its usually a dead giveaway if you are dealing with someone past their 20s and cant speak english. Paperwork please that being said also english is primary language for conducting business in the US, to deny a customer their purchase on language barrier is down right disgusting. You dont go to japan and demand the natives to speak english for you, why do that in america?

Quote Originally Posted by quietcutie View Post
    to be an american citizen you must speak fluent english.
    No, you don't need to be 'fluent' in English.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...ding_vocab.pdf

That's the reading vocab list for the official English test. You need to read one of three possible sentences and be able to write one of them. That's it. You do have to understand instructions and such, so it's a little more than that, but I had longer vocabulary lists in third grade. If they made you actually speak as fluently as a natural-born English-speaking raised citizen, hardly anyone would be able to pass the test. Even natural-born American citizens. (Because let's face it, most of us don't know who Calvin Coolidge was and why he was such a freakin' jerk to Asians.)

(And there are 100 questions on the Civics test that you'd have to study, but again, that doesn't require becoming actually fluent in the language, just understanding what they're asking at the time. Actually learning HELPS, but it's possible to learn just what you need to get by. And there are exceptions made for older applicants.)

all good and well, but to participate in business, i.e. customer service or general administration not speaking english is going to seriously damage your success and denying service at a chain resturant not owned by you because you want a american citizen to not speak their main language? If this is an attempt to undermine/divide and conquer consider it fair game for me to be an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by quietcutie View Post
    all good and well, but to participate in business, i.e. customer service or general administration not speaking english is going to seriously damage your success and denying service at a chain resturant not owned by you because you want a american citizen to not speak their main language? If this is an attempt to undermine/divide and conquer consider it fair game for me to be an ass.
    I was just saying that you could actually get by without much English learning at all.

It's my personal opinion that if you go somewhere and you want to go anywhere outside of the regular 'tourist' areas, where most people are capable of speaking English, you better know their language because they shouldn't have to worry about how to communicate with you. I've read anecdotes about people who learned French because they wanted to tour the whole country and not just downtown Paris. And that the French people, who have a major stereotype of being incredibly rude, were actually much more friendly and helpful if you at least TRIED to speak French. (Of course there were probably still the ones going "Eh, you suck at speaking our language!" but those are assholes and they exist everywhere. LOL)

Either way, I think both parties were pretty sucky all things considered. The one with bad customer service and language skills AND the one trying to be a diva because they couldn't get Taco Bell. (And I've not got a lot of compassion for the person because they were acting all "OMG. I am so suffering right now...I'm not going to take your offer of a gift card! I need pain and suffering." XD If they'd said "No, I won't take the card because it was just something stupid that happened." I might have had more respect.)

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    It's my personal opinion that if you go somewhere and you want to go anywhere outside of the regular 'tourist' areas, where most people are capable of speaking English, you better know their language because they shouldn't have to worry about how to communicate with you. I've read anecdotes about people who learned French because they wanted to tour the whole country and not just downtown Paris. And that the French people, who have a major stereotype of being incredibly rude, were actually much more friendly and helpful if you at least TRIED to speak French. (Of course there were probably still the ones going "Eh, you suck at speaking our language!" but those are assholes and they exist everywhere. LOL)
    I took my wife and kids to London, Paris, and Denmark in 2004 as part of a several week vacation. We spent time before we left researching what clothes wouldn't make us stand out, certain catch phrases to get help, order food, etc. and how most people get around the city.

We were trying to use the Metro one day to get to the Catacombs and were trying to figure out which train to take. A gentleman who spoke no English helped us with just pointing and gestures and nothing but smiles. The simple fact you TRY makes every difference in the world to them. They understand that not everyone speaks fluent French, but they are rude to those idiots who expect everyone to cater to the whims of the tourist who won't eveb try.

Let me put it into perspective. There are still people who canít speak English, or words AT ALL for many reasons, that either use gestures, or if they have any knowledge of English, write/text it out.

But what if they canít speak at all? Gonna complain about how they shouldnít be going into places without a person who can speak? Thatís pretty messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk