Incontinence to diaper lover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmac

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am a bladder cancer survivor who has had bladder leakage issues for years. 6 months ago the leaking got to the point that I tried exercises and meds. Neither did much so I started wearing an adult pull up.

Since I accepted my need for the pull up I am more relaxed and happy and have started to enjoy the feeling of freedom I have. I no longer have to freak at the first urge to pee. I wear “Assurance brand” pull ups and have not had any leakage problems. I still go to the bathroom when i can but the occasional wetting is well handled.

To anyone thinking this might help, I suggest you buy a bag and try them. If your like me you’ll never go back and may even start to like the diapers life

Glad to hear pullups are working for you to manage your bladder issue, I would recommend looking into taped diapers like Betterdry or Confidry 24/7 or Northshores plastic backed diapers. the last time I wore a pullup it couldnkt absorb quick enough and expanded like a balloon and leaked to the point I ended up standing in a puddle.
I agree theres no better feeling then knowing your diaper of choice is handling your incontinence issue, after 4 years of being back in diapers I no longer worry or stress about making it to the bathroom as I pee with out warning or a way to short of a warning time before my bladder releases.

How do the tapes do if you have to undo them and reset them? Also how hard is changing it by yourself?

Some diapers have blue and white two-try tapes; you can unfasten and refasten them once. Or more than once if you're careful to re-position the white tape exactly over the blue one. Others, particularly those described as "cloth-like", have velcro-type tabs that can be unfastened and re-positioned many times. If you want to regularly unfasten your diaper in order to use the toilet, these are probably the best choice for you.

They are also easy to put on by yourself, though it takes a bit of practise and trial-and-error to get a good fit. Method one is to lie on a bed or on the floor with the diaper underneath you. Method two is standing up, with the diaper behind you, leaning on a wall. Either way, you pull the front of the diaper up between your legs, and fasten the tapes. Method three is to pre-tape them (on both sides or one side only), then pull them on like a pull-up. I tend to find that I get a better fit with the standing method.

Taped diapers are MUCH easier than pull-ups in the event of needing to change in a public bathroom, because you can change without taking your pants off.

Great information. Thank you. I will be ordering the full diaper when my pull up supply runs out.

It sounds like you’re looking to transition into tape diapers, what I would do before your pull-up supply runs out is to contact a site like North Shore medical or Xp medical and get a few samples of diapers that you Think might work for you, be sure to check the sizes of the diapers because you may be a certain size in a bunch of different brands but you may also be one size up in a particular brand, getting samples are the best way to figure out which tape on diapers work best for you and what fits good and also what give you good confidence to get through the day or night. Each site can only give you two samples at a time if there are more than that per site that you want you can get two different kinds and then call them back a few weeks down the road and try to more and also you could take advantage of using the other site as well and this may help you figure out faster what will work for you and which site has what so you and who to order from and exactly what you need when you are ready to get into an entire case.

Fatmac said:
How do the tapes do if you have to undo them and reset them? Also how hard is changing it by yourself?

If you're wearing a diaper with tapes it's effectively intended as "toilet replacement", i.e. you might as well just use your diaper rather than messing about with untaping. However if you do want to use the toilet (e.g. for #2) it is possible to unfasten the top tapes and slide it down. The fit won't be quite as good when you pull it back up and refasten though.

I too started in pullups when I began experiencing incontinence issues. Can't even remember just how many times the pullup leaked. And within months I was in tape diapers

If you're dead set on pullups then northshore go supreme is your only real option for something that still works for light leakage. Your next best bet is a clothlike disposable, which I'd recommend Northshore air supreme. They have velcro tabs so you can practice putting a tabbed diaper on this way. Be aware they are only good enough for light incontinence too though.

For anything moderate of heavy you will need a plastic tapeped diaper. Northshore supreme, Confidry24/7, PeekABU, or Betterdry/Crinklz is what you will need.

I started wearing pull-ups again when I started having accidents as a teenager - now I’m in my twenties and I wear taped diapers 24/7. They hold more so I don’t need to change as often, as I can stay protected for longer. I didn’t like it at first but now I don’t mind. I wear for medical need but I enjoy the comfort they bring. Now I have no regrets.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Which is why I migrated to tape diapers also. They hold more, and they provide more comfort and security. I eventually also came to like it

that brand did not work well for me. Depend real fit.
Mine was kidney cancer, the leeky blader, the ockword sample packs of pull-ups and diapers with each visite.
point is your not alone.

I started wearing nappies about 6 years ago and have become very much DL now.

Great to know we don’t have to go through this alone. Thank you for that

I have been wearing tape-on diapers for almost 20 years (ever since disposable diapers became reliable enough to trust for heavy urinary incontinence). I find that it is rarely necessary to untape a diaper until it’s time to change it. If you’re careful, it’s possible to slip the diaper down like a pair of underpants and then pull it back up again.

Inconinmiss said:
I have been wearing tape-on diapers for almost 20 years (ever since disposable diapers became reliable enough to trust for heavy urinary incontinence). I find that it is rarely necessary to untape a diaper until it’s time to change it. If you’re careful, it’s possible to slip the diaper down like a pair of underpants and then pull it back up again.

This is also my experience. But plastic backed diapers do better when doing this. Clothbacked diapers seems to both become very lose and sagging a lot afterwards, plus tapes easily comes lose.

But I think this thread was more meant to learn if someone who were dealing with incontinence, also became DL. I have to some degree. I love my diapers because they mean I can continue with my life as before. But well having a diaper in also means comfort, and no sweating about lack of toilet facilities....I can go where ever I'm at or doing. So yes, DL light

For a great diaper that is easy to use the toilet with I recommend the Tena Flex - the belt design is easy to put on even when wearing cloths and easy to move out of the way to use the toilet - standing(for the guys) or sitting.

I’ll look at the Tena Flex. I am sure full tape diapers are in my future. It is a matter of when. Also the cost is a factor, as long as I can function in the pull ups I will.

I think there is a tendency to label (ABDL, DL, XYZ, ...) others and ourselves as binary (0 or 1) of a trait. I've learned, adapted, from the ABDL to better manage my incontinence. There's nothing wrong with this.

Whether you stay with pull-on briefs, or use diapers or belt on, or some combination of the above is up to you. There are days I wear a pull up/on, and there are days for diapers. Like you, the advantage of a pull on is if I can make it to the toilet then good. The drawback is the pull-ons that work for me are really one to 1.5 uses and then I have to the awkward balancing act of taking off shoes/pants to swap out to a dry one. Where as, a discreet diaper is about 2 to 2.5 uses and I don't have to undress from the waist down. Note I don't usually flood, it's more of bladder spasms w/ leakage. Except when it is not and a diaper really helps in that case.

FWIW a diaper can get at least two chances to use the toilet by alternating which side you undo/refasten.

Regularnot said:
For a great diaper that is easy to use the toilet with I recommend the Tena Flex - the belt design is easy to put on even when wearing cloths and easy to move out of the way to use the toilet - standing(for the guys) or sitting.

I second this; however they are more expensive than taped ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back