Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voiding when scared?

Neural control of voiding is very complicated.
    A good and simple explanation for voiding due to acute stress can be found here: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...a=gdpr-consent

Quote Originally Posted by MrPurple View Post
    Having worked on an ambulance in the past. It's entirely true that people coming off a motorbike at 80MPH tend to have brown trousers when you scrape them off the floor. I don't fully understand the mechanism though.
    I believe it is taught over here , that this is an indicator for spine injury. Especially interesting to us firefighters attending rti scenes

It happens. It has to me. Only once, only a dribble of pee, but, yep. When something happens to my computer, and I can't fix it, and I'm afraid of losing my best friend, who lives in Britain, with me all the way in America, or, I'm afraid I'll tick off the person who fixes it, my bowels want to move. When I can successfully fight them moving, orgasms have happened, instead. It's just the adrenaline.

Fear causes 3 responses, fight, flight, or freezing. In a lot of situations, you'll fight, or run. I have CP. Me, fight? I'd be killed for trying. Me, run? I can't walk. Freeze, that's me, most of the time, unless I can make my words a weapon. Sometimes I can.

It's a very short trip from the mildest bad thing ever happens, and I think, "I'm dead; I'm dead; I'm dead; I'm dead; I'm dead; I died; I'm dead!"

Downright scary parents as a kid.

Now, what good does a frozen animal do for itself? It poops or pees, so it's less apitizing to whatever wants to eat it.

When would someone without a disability freeze and go? On a roller coaster, what are you going to fight? Where are you going to run to? You can't do either, from inside that ride.
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 1 Week Ago at 22:51.

I distinctly remember one time when I was maybe 6 or 7 we were celebrating some holiday or a birthday with fireworks. Big fireworks. I didn't know anybody had lit anything yet so I wasn't paying attention and out of nowhere, *BOOM* a huge motor launched up into the air. It startled me super badly. At the same time I realized I completely pooped my pants. I don't remember exactly but I probably already had to poop anyway, the loud sound just scared it out of me. I vaguely remember locking myself in the bathroom for like an hour in shame. Don't remember how it ended. I'm sure my parents eventually convinced me to come out and they washed my clothes.

If I get really nervous a trip to the bathroom is soon in order to go pee and sometimes poo.

This guy does not need to be scared to go pee I do it and do not even know I am doing it. Dang Incontinence UGH! Plenty of filled diapers is the aftereffects of this disability.

Yes, it can happen. It's common at least among all mammals and birds, other animals I'm not sure about. It's not at all uncommon, say, for a pigeon to excrete when a young child is chasing it. No idea about the evolutionary reason for it, yeah it lightens one up but not really by all that much. It could just be that in a true moment of terror even involuntary areas of the brain experience changes in normal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by xpluswearer View Post
    This guy does not need to be scared to go pee I do it and do not even know I am doing it. Dang Incontinence UGH! Plenty of filled diapers is the aftereffects of this disability.
    I was not trying to offend anyone I was just curious about if the association with voiding and being scared were true since it’s common when describing something terrifying. Like the phrase “you will crap your self when you see this movie”. I know it’s a way people use to describe something scary and all I was wondering was if that was just a metaphor or does it happen to some people. So I apologize if I offered you in any way by asking that question.

Anyways kind of neat that there is some science behind this phenomenon. I kind of knew about the fight or flight but the information about the nervous system being overwhelmed when truly terrified was very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotographer View Post
    I was not trying to offend anyone I was just curious about if the association with voiding and being scared were true since it’s common when describing something terrifying. Like the phrase “you will crap your self when you see this movie”. I know it’s a way people use to describe something scary and all I was wondering was if that was just a metaphor or does it happen to some people. So I apologize if I offered you in any way by asking that question.

Anyways kind of neat that there is some science behind this phenomenon. I kind of knew about the fight or flight but the information about the nervous system being overwhelmed when truly terrified was very interesting.
    Nah no offense at all. All good!