High rise or low rise diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Anyone else here prefer diapers that don't go so high up. I often wish I could wear a diaper that went to up to below my belly button than above. I always have to tuck the tops down because I don't like them being so high up.

I am starting to think about trying size smalls hoping they would be down lower since I also find the hip sizes on packages are not very accurate. Like the diaper I have on now say it fits hips 28-36 inches but the tabs in the front are on the front of my diaper and the top two are right next to each other. Do I really need all this plastic on the side hugging my hips? I have also folded those.

I have tried a Tena small and the tabs have always been on my hips than in the front close to each other. I mostly don't need a diaper being so high up, back and front. Plus they are always loose at the top when I sit or lay down.

So which diaper do you guys prefer, high rise or low rise?

High rise diapers - especially in the back - as this is what I remember being diapered in when I was a child.

To the OP - Sounds like you need to drop down a size.

Good question :)

I'd say a majority of the diapers I usually wear are definitely high-rise. Though, the rise is typically at the back, in the front, most diapers I wear stop just below the bellybutton, as they should if the size and fit is proper. Whether it's a high-rise or a low-rise, the fit is always snug, especially the seal around the legs.

When it comes to high-rise diapers, I like having that padding that's higher up in the back, it pokes out of my baby pants and it makes me feel extra little and secure :eek:

Bambinos and as I discovered recently, Kiddos, even in the larger sizes, are cut a little lower. The fit of these brands is nice as well, but different. I found the front and rear waistbands on these brands while slightly lower, contour much nicer and these brands tend to have a slightly tighter feel in the waistband area, front and back.

So quite honestly, I think both high rise and low rise diapers are comfy and they each seem to have their upsides. With a high rise, I love the extra poof at the back, with the low-rise, I like the more contoured waistband fit. I would suggest, why not both, variety is the spice of life after all :)

Last edited:
I'd say I don't want too high (they fold over in the front and feel uncomfortable high in the back) and I don't like low-rise either (they feel like they're sliding down in the back, and feel too small in the front)

So I want to wear a diaper that fits properly. But they don't make that many sizes, so depending on the model it fits just right or a little short or a little long. But I get it as close as I can so I'm comfortable.

Diapers shouldn’t cover your bellybutton ideally they should be just below, diapers that fit too high or too low are an indication of the wrong size but different diapers fit different people differently.

I remember with newborn babies sometimes there wasn’t a small enough size so people would fold or cut a disposable to keep it clear of a sensitive new bellybutton but that was always a temporary fix as babies grow, not always the same with adults.

Calico I guess that means you are wearing mediums?

Do all mediums cover your bellybutton? I would be worried about wicking with tucking the top in.

To be honest I do not care that much about the rise. As long as the diaper fits right and is leak save I do not mind the rise at all.

Argent said:
Diapers shouldn’t cover your bellybutton ideally they should be just below, diapers that fit too high or too low are an indication of the wrong size but different diapers fit different people differently.

I remember with newborn babies sometimes there wasn’t a small enough size so people would fold or cut a disposable to keep it clear of a sensitive new bellybutton but that was always a temporary fix as babies grow, not always the same with adults.

Calico I guess that means you are wearing mediums?

Do all mediums cover your bellybutton? I would be worried about wicking with tucking the top in.

All medium diapers are like that for me and the tabs too. My hip size is in the range listed on the package but the hip sizes on packages means jack shit. Mine are 35 and a half inches but yet the package says it will fit hips 28 thru 36 inches. I put the diaper on and bam, where the tabs are, how can this fit someone who has 28 inch hips if the tabs on my diaper are so close together on the top.

I didn't like the Changing Time diapers because of the plastic at the top and I didn't like it poking at my back skin. They went too high up and they were a size medium but acted like a large on me. The other diapers where I have tuck in the plastic, they don't poke at my skin.

I might as well try youth diapers despite them listed fitting up to 29 inch hips but since sizes are always inaccurate, doesn't hurt to try them.

I like high rise because I actually like the feeling of the diaper on my belly and back.

I would probably like high rise if I had the body type to reall accomodate it. Due to my belly and pronounced muffin top, that style tends to be more of a hinderance than a help. But I have lost a significant amount of weight and am continuing to do so, so maybe one day I'll be thin enough to take advantage of that style. For now though? low for me.

I like a lower rise fit. I find I'm more comfortable without something high on my back and stomach. I have a bit of a belly and have since I was a kid and have always hated things that fit at that area because it cut my breathing short.

I definitely prefer high rise diapers. Makes it feel so much more secure for me, like a snug hug.

Plus I've had a few problems with blowouts at night(or even sitting) due to diapers with too low of a rise.
It has to have somewhat of a rise for me otherwise there's a risk of whatever I deposit making it's way up and out the back waist. Certainly not fun to deal with >~<

Abena M4 has the perfect amount of rise for me during the day, and for the most part at night too but I prefer higher waist diapers at night for that secure and snug feel.

High rise for me. Love the protection all over.

High for me too, especially at night, except in hot weather. Although having 'more nappy' around me doesn't translate into better performance, it does increase confidence, as do plastic pants. A nice high waistband gives the feeling of having a waterproof safety zone right around my middle, although it is actually the design and quality of fit that dictate how well the nappy will protect against leaks etc. When switching to a slimmer alternative, such as a hybrid, for cooler comfort during the summer, it takes a bit of getting used to not having that feel of waterproof security when making any heavier demands on the nappy.

I’m in the lower rise camp, Calico - I have similar numbers to you and I also dont like all the extra hip plastic. I sometimes wear SDK’s and Kiddos in size S. I dont like the fit of 4 tape diapers.
I like the back to be slightly higher than the front with the tension of the tapes and taping panel to be 2” or so below belly button.
So many variables with body types and personal preferences!

Calico said:
Anyone else here prefer diapers that don't go so high up. I often wish I could wear a diaper that went to up to below my belly button than above. I always have to tuck the tops down because I don't like them being so high up.

I am starting to think about trying size smalls hoping they would be down lower since I also find the hip sizes on packages are not very accurate. Like the diaper I have on now say it fits hips 28-36 inches but the tabs in the front are on the front of my diaper and the top two are right next to each other. Do I really need all this plastic on the side hugging my hips? I have also folded those.

I have tried a Tena small and the tabs have always been on my hips than in the front close to each other. I mostly don't need a diaper being so high up, back and front. Plus they are always loose at the top when I sit or lay down.

So which diaper do you guys prefer, high rise or low rise?

If you look carefully, ALL adult diapers are designed for and based off of your waist size. This is the area near your belly button. So the fit you've got right now is the correct one. Like you mentioned though, if you don't want them extending up that far you can just tuck in the top of the diaper some. This has the added benefit of creating a sort of dam that will help prevent leaks over the top too.

The problem with going one size smaller isn't just leaking over the low rise top now too. The cut and shape of the legs will be smaller. This will stretch the diaper tight, even if you try taping it on looser. And that inevitably leads to diaper blow outs and tapes popping off. You will also have to consider there will be less padding and sap too. As such, your diaper's capacity will be reduced, which means more chances for leaks to occur.

High-rise for me. They just feel more secure and enveloping, and it's easier to get the sides over your hip bones so the diaper doesn't sag.

But the biggest problem I've had with low-rise diapers is that the padding stops exactly where a gentleman needs it to be!

I like them high and low. My low rise diapers are my Northshore Supreme. They just sit lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back