Spirituality vs non-spirituality/Thought-provoking movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyChameleon

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I recently saw "Beatriz At Dinner". As a Massage Therapist myself this movie left me with a haunting feeling of loss. Part of me wants to believe I'm a healer but I've been feeling so burnt out lately. The other part of me wants to indulge in the wealth of the world but climbing the corporate ladder does not align with my soul's purpose.

I've been searching for the middle ground that is unique to my own path and it's hard because it's something I have to find for myself. I feel alone and that's ok. There are some things that we have to do alone. It helps to think of all the people who love and support me even though I don't see them very often. Even my husband feels far away when I know he can't help me on my path.

What are you struggling with right now? I sense that part of my journey is to connect with others, although I'm not a very social person. I just feel that if I am stuck going in a circle in my own head maybe I need to focus on someone else to give me some fresh perspective.

I'll have to watch that movie. Sounds interesting, and I usually like movies John Lithgow is in.

I'm searching for something, too, but don't know what that something is. In this search it sometimes seems necessary to look for "someone else to give me some fresh perspective", but at the same time this could be something "we have to do alone". This contradiction to conventional thinking can make you feel burnt out. But maybe being burnt out is the place to start. Maybe something has to burn to get it out of the way.

Seems like life is an opportunity for something, but what? Collecting wealth, friends, lovers, and sensual pleasures seems meaningless in the face of eternal death, but is it any good to deny our physical wants and needs? Even the sages eat, sleep, piss, and shit.

Sorry I can't help you. I just wanted you to know you are not alone in being alone. (Oh crap! Another contradiction! :eek:)

I try to focus on what is already. I avoid saying that I am “searching” or “wanting” because that tells me what I don’t have. I shift focus onto “what are the skills and resources I have already to guide me towards a desired outcome?” Or something along those lines.

I'm dealing with the death of my wife, the grief that accompanies it and some days of deep depression. Today wasn't a good day so I gave in and slept for an hour in the afternoon. Afterwards, I felt somewhat better. I am a spiritual person, a church musician, but one who also has their own take on the afterlife.

At age 70, I feel I've lived most of my life and have little left. Ironically, my job at church has grown significantly when I took over the praise band when our director gave the job up. My church appreciates me both as their music director and as a spiritual leader, but inside me, I'm burned out and ready to move on. I suspect how I feel is partly my own making. I spend day after day home alone, doing the same things like reading and playing piano.

I've thought about moving but then I'd be moving away from 2/3rds of my family. Moving would just drop me into a different place with fewer friends so I don't think it makes a lot of sense, but I do need some sort of major change in my life. It seems strange that at the age of 70, I'm still a work in progress.

SmileyChameleon said:
I try to focus on what is already. I avoid saying that I am “searching” or “wanting” because that tells me what I don’t have. I shift focus onto “what are the skills and resources I have already to guide me towards a desired outcome?” Or something along those lines.
My thinking has been contaminated by words I've seen about zen, so, at the moment, I'm thinking there is nothing to go "towards". We are already there. We just don't know it. It could be desire is the guide, but the outcome won't appear until the desire vanishes. But I realize these are just empty words. Zen is so darn contradictory.

dogboy said:
I'm dealing with the death of my wife, the grief that accompanies it and some days of deep depression. Today wasn't a good day so I gave in and slept for an hour in the afternoon. Afterwards, I felt somewhat better. I am a spiritual person, a church musician, but one who also has their own take on the afterlife.

At age 70, I feel I've lived most of my life and have little left. Ironically, my job at church has grown significantly when I took over the praise band when our director gave the job up. My church appreciates me both as their music director and as a spiritual leader, but inside me, I'm burned out and ready to move on. I suspect how I feel is partly my own making. I spend day after day home alone, doing the same things like reading and playing piano.

I've thought about moving but then I'd be moving away from 2/3rds of my family. Moving would just drop me into a different place with fewer friends so I don't think it makes a lot of sense, but I do need some sort of major change in my life. It seems strange that at the age of 70, I'm still a work in progress.
Ha! You old man! I'm still young. I don't turn 70 for a few months yet.

(sorry if that sounded too glib)

I've never experienced a loss as great as yours. I doubt I would handle that very well. I can identify with some of your lesser troubles because I, too, am (almost) old, living alone (through divorce), and uncertain about what to make of life. I think you are wise not to move away from friends and family just yet. You want a major change but, most likely, no change will be an answer in itself to your depression, so staying in contact with loved ones makes sense. But, (my 2 cents here), since you feel a need for change, I say go for it! Not necessarily huge, life altering changes, but little ones or big ones as the whim dictates. Changes may or may not be permanent, and they may offer little in the sense of enlightenment or happiness, but I believe it would be worthwhile to explore the possibilities since you feel that need. Don't wait for a major change to happen to you. Make it happen, a little at a time. Adjust your course as you go.

Ok. Enough sermonizing. Good luck, friend!

Drifter said:
Ha! You old man! I'm still young. I don't turn 70 for a few months yet.

(sorry if that sounded too glib)

I've never experienced a loss as great as yours. I doubt I would handle that very well. I can identify with some of your lesser troubles because I, too, am (almost) old, living alone (through divorce), and uncertain about what to make of life. I think you are wise not to move away from friends and family just yet. You want a major change but, most likely, no change will be an answer in itself to your depression, so staying in contact with loved ones makes sense. But, (my 2 cents here), since you feel a need for change, I say go for it! Not necessarily huge, life altering changes, but little ones or big ones as the whim dictates. Changes may or may not be permanent, and they may offer little in the sense of enlightenment or happiness, but I believe it would be worthwhile to explore the possibilities since you feel that need. Don't wait for a major change to happen to you. Make it happen, a little at a time. Adjust your course as you go.

Ok. Enough sermonizing. Good luck, friend!

Thanks and I think you're right. I just need to find those opportunities for small changes. I have given that some thought.

You ask about "thought provoking" movies/books?
To my way of thinking science fictions are some of threat for getting me to think about new ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back