Disposing of slips at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenexus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey

I had a bit of an annoying situation on Friday. My train ride home needs me to change at a mainline station (possibly a bit UK specific this post) for which there's a bit of a wait for the connecting service.

Anyway, I needed to change my slip as it was getting a bit too soaked for my liking. I have never changed at a railway station before but quickly realised there are no bins! So I changed anyway and stashed the diaper in my bag.

Out of interest I thought I'd seek out the disabled loo thinking there'd be one in there but it was locked with a RADAR key. Which is fine but y'know many places have such toilets an don't lock them.

So two questions I guess; at one point I thought 'Fine if you won't leave the right facilities in your toilets I'll just leave a bagged up slip in the corner of the toilet cubicle then'. But then I thought better of it. Train stations + bomb threats = wasn't sure lol I was just feeling a bit annoyed. What would you have done? I don't mind taking rubbish home but my bin gets full quick enough.

Another question is the RADAR key is available to people to buy online. For folks outside the UK it's a key that people with disabilities can have that stops the average Joe on the street using disabled toilets - as they can be abused especially in busy places. However whilst I am incontinent and tick the disability VAT box to save sales tax on purchases of diapers online; I'm not sure in my head space I've equated it to an obvious physical disability, and over here there have been some high profile stories of people judging folks with hidden needs or disabilities. Literally tutting and challenging people for using facilities they think they shouldn't be. Because my condition is invisible (no wheelchair or crutches or obvious signs) doesn't mean I don't have one. So has anyone got one of the magic keys?

Thanks for reading!

I live in the UK and if there is no bin near or in a toilet/restroom/bathroom I will usually dispose of my used nappies in the first litter bin I find. It is usually quite easy to find one. Failing that I will dispose of it at home. And I will admit to having on a few occasions simply rolled a wet nappy and left it in the corner of a cubicle when I noticed that there was not a bin, and I did not for some reason want to carry it home.

As far as RADAR keys are concerned, yes they are available on line - one simply needs to google "RADAR keys" to find multiple sites selling them, and quite cheaply, too. So if a disabled toilet is locked it is not a problem.

In my opinion incontinence is a disability, and both my GP and the nurses at the local Urology Clinic agree that it is so. I certainly have no qualms in using a disabled toilet if need to change my nappy. If anyone challenges me for doing so because I don't "look" disabled, then I will let them know in no uncertain terms just what I think of them. Actually, I find people's reactions quite amusing sometimes if I explain to them exactly why I used a disabled toilet!

Incidentally, increasingly I have notice signs posted on the doors of disabled facilities saying "Not every disability is visible", which is, I think, a step in the right direction.

Apart from there being a higher likelihood of having bins in them, under what circumstances would an incontinent person do better with a disabled stall than a regular one? Just curious because I'm new to the incontinence game and trying to learn as much as I can on here so I don't have to find out the hard way in real life.

I have both a RADAR key and a Euro-key. For the later you have to provide a medical certificate and doing so incontinence is recognised as a disability. So you are right, you don't need to have had conducted, you need it for discreet and for disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy a radar key off the internet, I have obtained one through my incontinence supply company but it was too bulky to put on my keys so I purchased a smaller mortice style one off the internet and it works just fine

I’m also based in the UK and I can tell you for a fact that changing your nappy in a disabled toilet is much, much easier than a regular one. In addition to having a sanitary bin or a full on nappy disposal bin, these toilets are nearly always in a separate room from other toilets, meaning there are no gaps in stalls to worry about. I’m also going to add that incontinence is definitely a disability, just a hidden one. Recently in the UK, a number of accessible toilets have even put signs on them, reminding people that “Not every disability is visible.” That should help you avoid getting as many awkward stares, but more importantly, it should help you change in a more secure environment without fear of judgement.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Wuggle said:
Apart from there being a higher likelihood of having bins in them, under what circumstances would an incontinent person do better with a disabled stall than a regular one? Just curious because I'm new to the incontinence game and trying to learn as much as I can on here so I don't have to find out the hard way in real life.

Apart from the fact of there being a higher likelihood of having bins, there is in most cases far more room than a cubicle in a normal toilet. It can sometimes be very awkward changing one's nappy in a normal cubicle due to the restricted space. It is much easier in a disabled toilet, which are usually bigger in order to allow access by wheelchairs if necessary.

ladyofshadows said:
Apart from the fact of there being a higher likelihood of having bins, there is in most cases far more room than a cubicle in a normal toilet. It can sometimes be very awkward changing one's nappy in a normal cubicle due to the restricted space. It is much easier in a disabled toilet, which are usually bigger in order to allow access by wheelchairs if necessary.

Interesting. I knew there was extra space, but wasn't sure how that translated into making things easier. I'm switching from pullups to tabs very shortly, which will be a game changer. I'm going to have to practise putting them on standing up.

I'm in the UK as well. While I mostly only need a nappy while I sleep I have occasionally encountered this problem in long journeys. I carry nappy sacks with me in my bag, there's often a baby change at stations so I just pop in there and use the bins they have

Could you translate the original post into American?

willnotwill said:
Could you translate the original post into American?

Which part can we help you understand? Is RADAR? Or how train station work. I don't live in UK but in Switzerland and between our country, Germany and several otheries, we also have a key called Euro-Key, which you can only get with medical certificate. These disabled toilets available at nearly all train stations, similar to UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A handy way I get away with not changing fully, I'm a gardener so disabled toilets are few and far between is to use a baby nappy as a booster, this can be easily pulled out when wet meaning no need to change.

I normally carry a spare diaper my work bag in a plastic disposal bag. This helps two ways, so that people don't see a diaper in my bag if they peek in when I open it to get something out, and also gives me something to throw out the diaper in. A couple times I've changed my diaper on the way home from work at the train station and there was no garbage can, so I had to bag it up and walk out into the mass of people commuting, find a garbage can, and toss it. No one really notices a person carrying a bag, but if I had to carry a wet diaper through a crowd to a garbage pail, I'd be quite embarrassed!

Definitely get a Radar key - changing in disabled toilets is so much easier, and there are normally bins. If there isn't a bin, I always take it with me - wrapped up tightly in a bag it's not a problem, and I have some black opaque nappy bags that are useful for discreetly putting used nappies in public bins if I'm out and about.

not in the UK but if their isn't a bin I handle my used diapers by balling them up when I change and putting them in my diaper bag, (if its messy/long trip try to have a plastic bag or dump as much of the contents in the toilet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back