I could never do cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandumFoxx

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
There seem to be more downsides to cloth than upsides compared to disposables. One I find is the constant washing, which uses up Pods or liquid detergent. Second is the fact I rather dispose diapers that smell like a sewer than take that sewer to the washer. The math makes disposables have a better case.

A average pack of Tide Pods costs about ten bucks. A pack or disposables, say Pampers Cruisers, costs about nine. A case of Tide Pods costs about twenty, where s case of Luvs Size 6 costs sixteen rounded up (going off Walmart numbers here).

Say you’re like me where you can use up to three modded diapers a day, that’s three pairs of cloth diapers already going in the washer. Cloth also feels not much different to me than underpants. It has a cotton like feeling against my skin. While a case of Cruisers that comes with 44 inside may cost a little than the most expensive version of Tide, I will likely not go through a diaper supply as fast as a pod supply if I did cloth over disposables. Besides I need Pods for regular clothing.

What do you guys think?

Cloth diapers are more economical once you've paid the steep entry price. I think your choice of cleaning agent is making them less attractive. Pods are the more expensive laundry choice, although if you're already doing laundry, it seems to me the cost is at least spread out.

Cloth diapers are an investment and require changes in the way you act. For me, the more important factor is enjoyment. I do this for pleasure and cloth diapers aren't as enjoyable for me most of the time (I do like them on occasion). If it's a monetary decision, cloth will look better in the long run but requires more effort. If it's about your enjoyment, factor that in and make the call.

Sounds like tide pods are really expensive. My cloth diapers paid for themselves after about 4 months. I keep mine under water in a bag designed for wet diapers while waiting for laundry day. The smell is very minimal. I definitely prefer the way disposables feel, but the knowledge that I can use my cloth diapers again and again without any real additional cost is very nice. Also they work way better for night time use.

Trevor said:
Cloth diapers are more economical once you've paid the steep entry price. I think your choice of cleaning agent is making them less attractive. Pods are the more expensive laundry choice, although if you're already doing laundry, it seems to me the cost is at least spread out.

Cloth diapers are an investment and require changes in the way you act. For me, the more important factor is enjoyment. I do this for pleasure and cloth diapers aren't as enjoyable for me most of the time (I do like them on occasion). If it's a monetary decision, cloth will look better in the long run but requires more effort. If it's about your enjoyment, factor that in and make the call.

I agree

If you "mess", no doubt. It will take special handling for sure. I don't mess, I use a pail filled with water and white vinegar. The vinegar neutralizes the urine smell.

A average pack of Tide Pods costs about ten bucks. A pack or disposables, say Pampers Cruisers, costs about nine. A case of Tide Pods costs about twenty, where s case of Luvs Size 6 costs sixteen rounded up (going off Walmart numbers here).

You can buy really good detergents for diapers that are much cheaper.

Say you’re like me where you can use up to three modded diapers a day, that’s three pairs of cloth diapers already going in the washer. Cloth also feels not much different to me than underpants. It has a cotton like feeling against my skin. While a case of Cruisers that comes with 44 inside may cost a little than the most expensive version of Tide, I will likely not go through a diaper supply as fast as a pod supply if I did cloth over disposables. Besides I need Pods for regular clothing.

To me there is a marked difference between the feel of wearing a soft cotton cloth diaper and a disposable. The cloth diaper is warm and snug. The disposable although...somewhat comfortable, feels like a girdle to me, not much give. When it is wet it swells up and makes it very tight in the crotch. A cloth diaper just absorbs and sags. However, if you are wearing a onesie and or plastic pants that will help with that.

Like others have said, for quality cloth the original investment is much higher. But even the few times I have ordered disposable with shipping they are very expensive. I do not wear 24/7 and there are times when I go a few days without wearing at all. The days I do wear I might require changing 3-5 times! Even ordering 40 the last time with shipping, it was nearly 3 dollars a diaper. I order from ABU their quality is good. If I did that month over month the cost would really rack up. Not to mention the disposal. I am by no means a "tree hugger" but I can see the value in using the cloth diapers over and over versus going to the land fill. When I originally purchased, I bought approximately 4 dozen, between day, night, contour and liners. I also purchased several pair of plastic pants and pins. The fit the feel is incredible. 15 months later they are holding up beautifully and I will get many many more wearings out of them. I have had to replace a few pair of plastic pants, they just will not last as long, even body oils will cause the plastic to stiffen over time.

You do not list your age, but I know that if you were raised on disposable diapers that is what feels the most natural to you but cloth/plastic and pins is what does it for me and some others on this site. It takes me home. So for some of us it is worth it to lay out the money up front and do a little bit of work on the maintenance just to get that realism. Now, if I could only have that nursery!

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

With cloth, you pay to get in once, and then you just need to take care of them. You're not throwing things away, which is appealing.

You can wash them with cheaper detergent than Tide and Tide Pods. I've made a bottle of Dreft last me over a month and that's washing just diapers by themselves, by hand. And I save my Pods for regular laundry.

While disposables have a pleasant feel, they make an Unpleasant Noise... And I stick to my cloth stash for this reason. I try to have a stash of four clean at all times.

Trevor said:

I think your wrong depending on your location in the world. In the USA CA. We can be charged by how much water we use a day. So let factor Soap, Water use plus how much it cost for the amount of water use in each wash plus diaper washing. Plus how many times we shower. It could end up disposables being cheaper. People some area we are charged by how much water we use.

Facts are being mixed in some cases.

I seriously doubt that you would move just so you could go to cloth. So Im glad you can afford disposables.

Here is something interesting. The other night I heard one of the people that led the charge on outlawing straws in CA being interviewed, just so you know they have their sights on disposable diapers.

What are the CA life style police going to do then? Run around doing diaper checks on new mothers infants. What if you visit on vacation with your kids, will you need a special license? Will they throw disposable using mothers in jail. Will CA create a whole new taxpayer funded infrastructure to search inbound trucks for hidden boxes of LUVS or PAMPERS? Will disposable diapers be more illegal than (fill in the blank)

These are my facts Lestat as they apply to me. I prefer cloth, I can afford the water and the extra effort it takes. Ill take less showers if that makes CA. happy.

The perceived economic benefit of cloth is a heck of a lot closer to disposables than most people are willing to accept. This is because of confirmation bias and ignoring to factor in every cost after you buy them.

It's the same with the perceived environemental benefit. This too is no better than disposables when all factors to their production and care/disposal are factored in.

Though confirmation bias can go both ways, so don't let anyone fool themselves into thinking disposables are truly better either. Ultimately it just comes down to wear which ever one works and feels best for each of us.

littlemoosey said:
I seriously doubt that you would move just so you could go to cloth. So Im glad you can afford disposables.

Here is something interesting. The other night I heard one of the people that led the charge on outlawing straws in CA being interviewed, just so you know they have their sights on disposable diapers.

What are the CA life style police going to do then? Run around doing diaper checks on new mothers infants. What if you visit on vacation with your kids, will you need a special license? Will they throw disposable using mothers in jail. Will CA create a whole new taxpayer funded infrastructure to search inbound trucks for hidden boxes of LUVS or PAMPERS? Will disposable diapers be more illegal than (fill in the blank)

These are my facts Lestat as they apply to me. I prefer cloth, I can afford the water and the extra effort it takes. Ill take less showers if that makes CA. happy.
Straws were not even close to being a problem. I'm sure they didn't care that straws are used by disabled people. Before hearing about this rediculous law, I've never heard someone say, "Hey, we sure need to do something about these damn straws." They could've did something different that would've made an impact.

As far as the diaper debate thing goes, cloth and disposable diapers are both just as bad on the environment, if not worse. If everyone started using cloth diapers, it would endanger animal life. Cotton yes so much water, pesticides, and ect, than typical crops. This is just to grow cotton, not even counting the countless laundering that would be involved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Straws were not even close to being a problem. I'm sure they didn't care that straws are used by disabled people. Before hearing about this rediculous law, I've never heard someone say, "Hey, we sure need to do something about these damn straws." They could've did something different that would've made an impact.

As far as the diaper debate thing goes, cloth and disposable diapers are both just as bad on the environment, if not worse. If everyone started using cloth diapers, it would endanger animal life. Cotton yes so much water, pesticides, and ect, than typical crops. This is just to grow cotton, not even counting the countless laundering that would be involved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ill right, Im convinced now. EVERYONE goes naked;)

It's interesting that depending where we live, water is either plentiful or scarce. Living in central Virginia, we have more water than we can possibly use. In the last big rainstorm, there was a threat that a 17 foot wall of water was going to come down my street if the Lynchburg College dam was to rupture. They evacuated 150 people. Of course, if there was a 17 foot wall of water coming at me, it would have been a great opportunity to hang my diapers out and have the water really clean them.....BAM!!!

On a more serious note, if I wear a cloth diaper at night and wet it, I rinse it out real well in the shower which I take in the morning. All I have to do is hang them up and when I get a sufficient amount, I then wash them. I probably spend more on electricity than detergent. If I wear and wet during the day, I usually rinse them out in the tub anyway.

dogboy said:
It's interesting that depending where we live, water is either plentiful or scarce. Living in central Virginia, we have more water than we can possibly use. In the last big rainstorm, there was a threat that a 17 foot wall of water was going to come down my street if the Lynchburg College dam was to rupture. They evacuated 150 people. Of course, if there was a 17 foot wall of water coming at me, it would have been a great opportunity to hang my diapers out and have the water really clean them.....BAM!!!

On a more serious note, if I wear a cloth diaper at night and wet it, I rinse it out real well in the shower which I take in the morning. All I have to do is hang them up and when I get a sufficient amount, I then wash them. I probably spend more on electricity than detergent. If I wear and wet during the day, I usually rinse them out in the tub anyway.

Yep, in my experience rinsing diapers in the shower is surprising effective. There was a period where I simply “washed” my night diapers (three flat) in the shower each morning, hung to dry and wore again the following night till doing it right on laundry day. Far as I could tell they didn’t smell or have any other sign of urine retention.

Yeah, mine don't smell after they've been rinsed out in the shower. It does a really good job.

dogboy said:
Yeah, mine don't smell after they've been rinsed out in the shower. It does a really good job.

Yeah, that pre-rinse takes care of a lot of the problem, even if you will need a day to get to the actual washing. Speaking of, I gotta get one into the wash right about now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back