Issues with going to the gym?

Ihatecrohns

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Does anybody have any advice on how to hide the fact I’m wearing diapers at the gym? It was fine when I was wearing pull ups but now that I’m wearing diapers the waistband goes super high and wearing nice fitting pants at the gym it’s verh clear I’m wearing a diaper.

Whenever I’m doing pull ups on the bar my shirt goes up a little and you can see the waistband and the whole thing is giving me really bad anxiety I used to workout 5 times a week now I’ve been to the gym once this week cos I felt like people were staring. :(

I'd say you shouldn't worry about this. It's not like you have much choice, right? So what if anyone notices?..
Anyway, if you really want to hide it, you should wear something long (shirt, hoodie, maybe even a plain-looking onesie) and baggy (tracksuit trousers or something like that).
But really, don't pay attention to anybody. I don't really go to the gym, but there are several gym apparatuses in a small park near my home and you know, I am sure there are lots of people, who could have noticed me wearing a diaper. Do I care? Not in the least. I know it can be hard, but since that's what you have to live with at present, your best bet would be to simply accept it all and stop trying to hide the fact you're wearing. Life's much easier once you do it.

Elenwen said:
I'd say you shouldn't worry about this. It's not like you have much choice, right? So what if anyone notices?..
Anyway, if you really want to hide it, you should wear something long (shirt, hoodie, maybe even a plain-looking onesie) and baggy (tracksuit trousers or something like that).
But really, don't pay attention to anybody. I don't really go to the gym, but there are several gym apparatuses in a small park near my home and you know, I am sure there are lots of people, who could have noticed me wearing a diaper. Do I care? Not in the least. I know it can be hard, but since that's what you have to live with at present, your best bet would be to simply accept it all and stop trying to hide the fact you're wearing. Life's much easier once you do it.

Yeah I was gonna try baggy clothes but it’s like I get so hot in the gym :( I know I probably shouldn’t worry it’s just there’s a lot of people my age at the gym and I’m worried they’ll be like laughing at me behind my back and stuff, it sucks I don’t even like wearing skirts much lately just in everyday life cos I’m worried people can see, and I’m scared someone will ask why I’m wearing and it’s embarrassing saying I’m incontinent.

I used to get bullied a bit at school about it so it gets me nervous about people knowing.

Ihatecrohns said:
Yeah I was gonna try baggy clothes but it’s like I get so hot in the gym :( I know I probably shouldn’t worry it’s just there’s a lot of people my age at the gym and I’m worried they’ll be like laughing at me behind my back and stuff, it sucks I don’t even like wearing skirts much lately just in everyday life cos I’m worried people can see, and I’m scared someone will ask why I’m wearing and it’s embarrassing saying I’m incontinent.

I used to get bullied a bit at school about it so it gets me nervous about people knowing.
I don't think anyone will laugh. It's possible, but even then, they won't actually be laughing at you personally, although I understand it's not much of a consolation.
But I'm pretty sure no one will ask, and even if someone will (although I don't believe such person can actually exist) you don't have too tell the truth. Actually, you don't have to tell anything. Just "none of your business" or "I have my own reasons" type of answer will be more than enough.

Just wondering why pull ups don’t work anymore at the gym for you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelvc said:
Just wondering why pull ups don’t work anymore at the gym for you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m completely bowel incontinent with minor bladder incontinence but I have frequent bm’s Due to my Crohn’s and pull ups can’t handle that, sorry for the tmi

• Sad
Reactions: checkingoutall
Try a plain colour onesies they work great for me when I am climbing a ladder or bending down at work no more worring about a shirt riding up :) and they help to keep your diaper inplace.

I don’t know if this would make you feel any better or not but I just wore a Abena abri form m4 with a size bigger pants than normal, but I could tell people could notice when I was pumping gas at Costco that I was wearing an adult diaper. To make it worse there was a extremely long line of 10 + cars behind me.

I often wear diapers to the gym. Nobody notices (or if they do they are polite enough to keep thoughts to themselves). When the diaper is still clean it is easy enough to pull it down with the shorts in the locker room when getting ready to shower. Otherwise, I'll take care of cleaning up in bathroom stall. After the shower, I typically get dressed without a diaper and go back to a bathroom stall to put one on. I know that I shouldn't worry about it because I have had few experiences where the locker room was empty so I applied the diaper while getting dressed and someone walked in as I was in progress. They never said anything or gave me any strange looks! Fortunately, I am not high school any more!

Sorry that you are going through this. Hopefully, it'll get easier and/or the crohns will get better.

-Ieyasu

Instead of hiding your diapers and being embarrassed, why not just own up to it? I do typically wear a lighter diaper while at the gym (tranquality atn), but that's only because I don't want my thicker premium diapers to go to waste after a workout. I also wear a longer shirt or onesie just so I don't have to worry about my shirt coming loose. After that, I've done what I can to conceal my diapers and if anyone notices then so what. I legitimately need them, and if thry don't like that then too bad for them.

Heck, I've had plenty of times I end up taping a new diaper on at my locker. How exactly is being seen in a diaper more revealing and embarrasing than being seen naked anyways? So what if someone gives me an odd look too. I'm not about to let needing diapers get in the way of me living my own life. And neither should you.

I also regularly go to the gym and the best method to hide the diaper is by wearing leggins or any other kind of trousers with a large sweater or hoodie that hides the butt, which btw is also the way I regularly dress.
But also if anyone would see it they’ll probably forget it in a few hours.
Once I noticed a guy and a girl staring at me after seeing the diaper and I was so embarrassed that I totally went crazy, I went to them, told them something like “Yeah it’s not my fault, I’m a teenager girl that wears diapers, never heard of incontincence?!”, well after that they were the ones imbarassed

Sophy said:
I also regularly go to the gym and the best method to hide the diaper is by wearing leggins or any other kind of trousers with a large sweater or hoodie that hides the butt, which btw is also the way I regularly dress.
But also if anyone would see it they’ll probably forget it in a few hours.
Once I noticed a guy and a girl staring at me after seeing the diaper and I was so embarrassed that I totally went crazy, I went to them, told them something like “Yeah it’s not my fault, I’m a teenager girl that wears diapers, never heard of incontincence?!”, well after that they were the ones imbarassed

Wide clothing is indeed the way to go. Most people will assume it’s a medical thing and ignore it, some might even think it’s brave your doing sports anyway.

Confronting people while being open about it, puts the responsibility of a proper response at the other.

Roland007 said:
Wide clothing is indeed the way to go. Most people will assume it’s a medical thing and ignore it, some might even think it’s brave your doing sports anyway.

Confronting people while being open about it, puts the responsibility of a proper response at the other.

Yeah, you’re totally right and since it’s not my fault or my choice to wear diapers I also don’t know why mature people should laugh or talk bad about me because of that. But still, there are many bad people out there

Well it's looking like i'm gonna be wearing 24/7 if the dr. can't help, so the gym will be off limits to me. Plus my whole wardrobe is shorts and tees so there's a problem

Fireband said:
Well it's looking like i'm gonna be wearing 24/7 if the dr. can't help, so the gym will be off limits to me. Plus my whole wardrobe is shorts and tees so there's a problem

Goodwill is always your friend for adding or replacing a wardrobe. And if you're not sure of what exact size (black) pants you need, just go to a clothing store while thickly padded and try on a few different pants. Return them to the rack when you're done, and viola.

I'd recommend a onesie or a spandex singlet like the ones wrestler's wear. I stopped caring who sees my diaper at the gym (or in general), but I still get self-conscious about it from time to time so I get where you're coming from.

- - - Updated - - -

Fireband said:

Why will the gym be off limits?

I am a male and my wardrobe options are limited

Well I’ve beeb to the gym twice since I posted and people have noticed, I’ve been asked by two people if I’m wearing a nappy and why, (my gym is mostly older people who’re nosy) I explained and they told me not to be ashamed, it’s not something I have control over.

I’m just going how I’m comfy so I’m wearing yoga pants and my normal baggy T-shirt and if you look at my backside it’s very obvious I’m in nappies but oh well.

That’s really great, I’m happy for you!

Back