Best FF (numbered) game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Not to discourage anybody if they like the non-numbered FF games, but this topic is about the numbered ones, sorry.

I'm wondering which of the main FF games (the numbered ones) is your favorite and which receives the most praise in general, I'm a long time FF fan, but I never really played a lot of the games, the 1st I remember playing was either FF X or FF VII Dirge Of Cerberus, I loved X, didnt care for VII DoC at all.

I think i may have tried XIII, but if I didnt I didn't play it for long, I also tried XV, and I liked it but had a rather annoying glitch (dont know if it was the game itself or what) that would usually not allow me to play for more than 30 minutes at a time, I know it wasnt the system or TV because I have not had problems with any other game.

I got XII for PS4 yesterday morning because I found 1 copy for $15 new at Walmart (they seem to be going for close to $25+ on eBay) so I'm trying that today.

Best? I wouldn't presume to know. Seems unknowable, really. Favorite? Probably VII. Stereotypically. :) It's got a lot of nostalgia attached to it because of all the time I spent playing it with my friends in college. After that, I didn't play a Final Fantasy game for years. The next one I actually played to completion was XV, just last year. It was good! I'll be honest, though, I am looking very much forward to VII Remake.

Final Fantasy has always been one of my favourite JRPG franchises :)

I think the game that is still my absolute favourite, the one that bonded me to the series was Final Fantasy III, of course it's only known as that in the North America, the actual number is Final Fantasy VI. That game was truly something special, especially on the SNES. The story rivals another classic SNES RPG Chrono Trigger (no easy task) and the characters are some of my favourites in the franchise. I also liked that unique setting, that mixture of steampunk dystopia and standard fantasy tropes/locales... WOW! That game blew my mind.

Of course next to that would be the follow-up Final Fantasy VII, I don't think it's aged quite as well as Final Fantasy VI, those blocky PS1 over-world graphics still look wonky to me (hopefully the HD remake amends some of the graphical hiccups without going overboard), and I definitely think it's over rated, but it's over rated for a reason. I love the battle system in FF VII, once again the characters are phenomenal and there are a ton of wonderful moments of character building and genuine pathos, stuff you just don't get much in the newer instalments of the franchise.

I also thought Final Fantasy X was pretty darn good, especially considering that the last few FF games on the PS1 were kind of lacklustre. I thought the graphics were a nice step forward in Final Fantasy X and I liked the characters, even though the voice acting was kind of stilted at times. Gameplay was spot on too, taking the best parts of the previous 3 games only.

The actual Final Fantasy III is great too. I played the hell out of that DS remake, definitely one of the most compulsively playable of the FF games. No heavy story, no cut scenes, just simple streamlined gameplay and enjoyment and a solid challenge level, really great game.

Ringing up the rear and rounding out a top 5 of sorts, it's also, kind of an unpopular pick, but Final Fantasy V is pretty awesome. I don't know what it is, but it was an extremely fun game to me. I enjoyed the characters, Bartz is one of my favourite FF protagonists and I believe this is the game with the best character customization options in terms of classes and skill-sets, you can definitely break from the standard party make up on this game and have a lot of fun trying out different jobs and combinations.

I don't think any one of them is truly the best but I have many personal favorites! :D

In order: FF9, FF6, FF4, FF12 etc.

The only FF game I truly cannot enjoy is 7. I just honestly don't like it. I think it's over hyped and bland.

My favorite FF was IX without a doubt! Tetra master was such a great card game and the story line was top notch with some loveable characters.

I'd have to go with VI for me : it was the first to hit you with an unstoppable apocalypse, one that you fought tooth and nail to stop, but happened anyway. It threw the world into despair and your party had to claw its way out on the promise of a brighter future.

I've only completed VII, XIII (XIII-2, too, if that counts) and XV. Of those my favourite is, controversially, XV. Followed by VII, XIII and XIII-2.

I’ve always loved FFVII, hands down. I have played it through probably half a dozen times.
I’ve played almost all of them up to X-2, and then I lost having the time to commit to long RPGs.

Would really love to have a marathon of little space and Final Fantasy to see some of the new games...not likely going to happen though.

I was a big fan of VIII and X.

FINAL FANTASY 7!!! My friend went as Aeris for a nerd costume party (which was awkward because I was cosplaying Sephiroth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back