Pull ups vs diapers for bowel incontinence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihatecrohns

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey there so I have periods of very heavy incontinence and at the moment I’m going to be bowel incontinent for the foreseeable future, possibly permanently, currently I’m having heavy incontinence and messing myself 3-4 times a day uncontrollably along with having minor wetting problems, currently I’m wearing Molicare Pull-Ups but I’m considering switching to the proper Diapers due to having an issue with how heavy my accidents are I’m just a bit embarrassed.

What’s better diapers vs pull-ups? Also if I’m wearing a diaper which instead of a pull up it means I’m going to have to use the diaper when I need to pee instead of being able to pull down the pull up and use the toilet normally like now, if I use the diaper for consistently peeing as well will I risk making myself completely bladder incontinent too? That’s one of the reasons I’m afraid of switching to diapers

If you get the kind with refastenable tapes (nearly all the cloth backed ones and some of the others), you can usually undo the top tapes and slide the diaper down to use to the toilet.
I find a good fitting (not all tape-on diapers fit well) diaper will hold feces in place better than the elasticness of a pull up.

Peeing in a diaper will NOT make you incontinent on its own.

I can't speak from experience, but I'll still say what I think.

First of all, I would certainly suggest full diapers for your case. They are better at containing accidents and smells, than pull-ups. However, it is true, that using them prevents you from freely taking them off and putting them on again.
There are all kinds of stories in the internet with some people claiming, that they did become incontinent after prolonged wearing of diapers. Again, I can't say if it's true or not, but I've seen a lot of people from this forum and some other saying, that it's utter nonsense and that no lasting damage will be done by wearing diapers for a long time.
Anyway, if you want to have ability to use toilet, but at the same time want more security, than pull ups can offer, I'd suggest you try the belted diapers.
Normal ones are fixed by applying tapes from the back panel onto the front. Belted diapers, as a name suggests, have a belt, that you put around your waist first, fixing it. Then you pull the other part up and apply it's front panel to the belt. Belted diapers usually lack front wings, so they are less secure, than normal ones in my opinion, but they are certainly superior to pull ups and also allow to freely use the toilet whenever necessary.

Wearing and peeing in diapers itself will never cause urinary incontinence. However, consantly keeping your sphincter relaxed whilee wearing a diaper will cause muscle atrophy and eventually induce incontinence. As long as you continue to hold it with controlled peeing then you won't become incontinent.

Also, if you get a diaper which has a good waist band then you usually can pull it up and down without removing the tapes. The exception to this is if you have wide hips then you might not be able to pull it down after all. I wear Crinklz for full urinary incontinence, but pull it down/up for bowell movements all the time. I find Confidry24/7 and Northshore Supreme are good for this as well.

I'd second Wil's advice of considering velcro for easier use of toilet. Being a guy I've gotten good at sitting down and snaking out to pee without having to undiaper ;)

Crinklz have the best leak guards on the market if you need better containment. If you only need decent leak guards, Tykables has some good velcro options. Little Builders for lower urine capacity, (which it sounds like may be enough for you?) or galactic/waddler for higher capacity.

Pull-ups are garbage. Cloth backed diapers are mostly worthless as well. A good plastic backed diaper would be far better than either of those two. Dry 24/7 and betterdry/crinklz are amazing and perform well.

northshore supreme is a good one to

Pull ups are nothing should not even be sold. Worthless.

Pull ups for fecal IC are worthless , ther should be a law against that , most are barely capable for urinary ,unless you have a tiny leak .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I would go with a diaper with the tape tabs with the plastic outer cover. Cloth outer cover diapers are garbage. I use the tranquility atn, and they work well if I have a bowel movement. But there are other good diapers out there. Contact companies and they will send you samples to see what is going to work best for you.

mayhem said:
Pull-ups are garbage. Cloth backed diapers are mostly worthless as well. A good plastic backed diaper would be far better than either of those two. Dry 24/7 and betterdry/crinklz are amazing and perform well.

Adult "Pull-Ups" are totally useless for bowel incontinence.
The result, "shit everywhere", the Pull-Up, and all over the inside of my pants.

I feel your pain. I suffered with severe ulcerative colitis for years and towards the end before i had my bowel removed I was experiencing full bowel voiding. I had predicted this as I was coming off steroids ready for healing post op. I found wearing nappies gave me the confidence to leave the house (along with bowel paralysing codine).
By mid afternoon, the combination of a fuller bowel and the codine wearing off would give me the 1 minute warning or less to find the toilet. No good if you are driving or mid conversation in the chemist as happened once.

I had taken to use up my old style Attends medium (M printed all over) and they held a full liquid bowel movement quite a few times. It was the best decision i made, I could have had quite a few very messy accidents otherwise.

I did try pull ups when camping and the toilet block was a 3-4 minute walk down hill away from our pitch. They leaked, I bought them whilst down there in Cornwall from Morissons as an emergency measure not realising that i needed them.

Reactions: Zeke
I have found the Betterdry or Crinklz printed version diapers work great for containing bowel accidents as I wear them 24/7 and have experienced unexpected bowel movments while out and about and had no issues.

I have lost a bit more of my bladder control since switching to full time taped diapers but it really dosent matter as my bladder issue would have gotten worse over time any ways.

Rob110 said:
I have found the Betterdry or Crinklz printed version diapers work great for containing bowel accidents

yep betterdry/crinklz leak guards can't be beat. They're super-tall, positioned well, and have good elastic. If I was bowel IC that's probably all I'd wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back