Simple Ultra VS ABU Simple

sotexasDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
I've been reading with some interest about the new Simple Ultra with their amazing rating of 6250 ml. Love to give them a try but sure seem to be on the pricey side. The ABU Simples are on the lower scale of 5000 ml, still quite a bit and quite a bit cheaper. Anyone have experience with both and have their thoughts to share?? Thanks in advance.

I got some ABU PeekABU, which are the same model as the Simple Ultra, though the size scale makes their Large fit like a Simple's Medium. (I've got a fair amount of experience with their Space/Simple/Paws)

The few PeekABU I tried didn't seem to have a significant improvement in capacity, but it wasn't a very good test with how poorly they fit me. Wicking however did seem to be better, so even if the padding was the same capacity on paper, you could probably make better use of it anyway.

I'm waiting for their size XL to get back in stock. Though they are hard to justify the high cost on, the markup of say simple ultra over simple is a lot more than the increase in capacity might suggest.

Thanks for the input bambinod. I certainly would have thought that more folks had personal experience with the two diapers and would share their views, opinions or experiences.

When needed, I have tried them both. Maybe it is just me, but the simple fit me better than the same size ultra. It is not an endurance or capacity competition for me, so 5000 is more than enough.

It’s a definitely an individual thing, for me the simple ultra/peakabu are hands down the best diaper I have ever used, they fit me perfectly and because of great fit I have never had a leak despite testing them to the point of stupidity. The simple/space etc are still fantastic however I can’t get as good a fit with then compared to ultras hence I will get the odd leak around legs, this could be partly due to wicking not as good but the standard simple is also slightly thicker dry but ultras definitely swell more after numerous floods. That being said the simple/space/littlepaws are still better than 90% of diapers on the market it’s just for me the ultras are the perfect diapers and worth the premium. I would recommend buying a pack of each to try, I use large in both as medium simples are a bit too small and large are to big around legs but ultras large are spot on. I am overweight and have somewhat narrow hips and have generally had trouble finding diapers that fit well. Best of luck hope you like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find ABUs Simple to be an amazing diapee thick, thirsty and a generous fit.

The Ultra I tried was beautiful, comfy and so so thirsty with incredible swelling but having thick legs I feel I was right at the limit of fitting, perhaps they are smaller than standard Simples but the positioning of the tapes with the bottom ones being lower was the real trick for me.

In summary for me at least the fit was different so it’s not as simple (lol a pun) as recommending for example if you like the fit of MyDiaper Nacht you will probably like ABU BareBums.

sotexasDL said:
Thanks for the input bambinod. I certainly would have thought that more folks had personal experience with the two diapers and would share their views, opinions or experiences.

A few weeks ago I did get a case of MyDiaper Ultra size Large, which appear to be identical models to PeekABU XL. They fit great and wick well. I believe they are more absorbent than Space/Paws/Simple.

They might feel more wet though when used. The padding definitely starts out slightly thinner and much more flexible. They're a GREAT overnight diaper for heavy wetters like me.

Thanks for all the input. As much as I'd love to try both, I'm afraid that they are a little out of my price range. At $3.30 each for a pack of the Simples, and 4 bucks for the Ultras, I going to have to pass.

And this is partially why some of us buy baby diapers and Goodnites, even if they don't fully fit.

How can you tell the ABU Simple Diapers apart from the ABU Simple Ultra is the Ultra a little bit wider?

https://imgur.com/a/mkgTjdw

Last edited:
So would the Simple Ultra be on the right due to the the type of padding it has in it?

In this the picture would the Simple Ultra been on the right do to the padding inside?https://imgur.com/U4dR0pn
Please Let Me know ASAP

pawpatrolpuppy said:
So would the Simple Ultra be on the right due to the the type of padding it has in it?

In this the picture would the Simple Ultra been on the right do to the padding inside?https://imgur.com/U4dR0pn
Please Let Me know ASAP

pawpatrolpuppy said:
How can you tell the ABU Simple Diapers apart from the ABU Simple Ultra is the Ultra a little bit wider?

https://imgur.com/a/mkgTjdw

Sorry not an expert but I would say it was the one on the right from the hex shapes in the padding.

As for telling them apart IRL the Ultra is thinner side by side and yes the tapes are spaced further apart.

Several peeps have said the Ultra are also smaller which I can’t confirm.

I did find the sample Simple Ultra and PeekABU were a bit different in width when folded which was weird but then I only had samples.

I did ask Casey if the new Simple Ultras/PeekABU were supposed to be the same shape/size as the existing Simple/Space/Pawz and he said yes (obviously apart from thickness.)

It would be a lot easier if ABU Did a better job of taking a picture of the inside of the of both diapers, the current pictures are too blurry and dose not bring out the hex pattern in padding on one.

- - - Updated - - -

Wish me luck I'm going to try and go for it and saying the one with the hex pattern is the Ultra

My own opinion of all of this, is that the SDK has the most to offer in simplicity and function. I like the simple graphics on the taping panel, being similar to what Pampers once used. But where they truly shine, is their one-tape design that has very little in the way of a learning curve. A nurse can get an idea of their most effective placement for a given patient, with fewer complications. A reduced training cost means better profits for facilities. It is sad that the most sensible diaper has such low availability.

I don't care for the Peak Abu product because it is, for one thing, thin. Which, makes them uncomfortable in my opinion. And then, there is that issue with the separation of tapes. Crinklz has a similar dilemma. Darn if you do, darn if you don't. But still, I strongly feel that ABUniverse can do far better with their sales of the Peak Abu and other products with proper marketing. There are several cloth diaper companies that cater to special needs specifically, that are actually doing very well and have been around for many years. ABUniverse can do the same, I am sure of it. And if they do, then it will guarantee me a steady supply of the items I need to help me improve my functioning.

You live in a place where the speed limit is 60,
and with luck you can find a time & place where you can get away with going 100.
Your choice is a car that can do 140 (Simple) or a more expensive car that can do 180 (Simple Ultra).
Both offer performance far beyond what you can typically use, but its really fun to drive a high-performance car,
even if you can't use it to the max.
If you're looking for the ultimate special occasion diaper, maybe the Ultra is the way to go.
If your looking for a 24/7 (or frequent use) diaper, the basic Simple is significantly cheaper, and will never let you down.
Either one is a great value.
One key difference is bulk & thickness. The basic Simple is wider & thicker, and definitely more noticeable.
The Ultra is newer technology with even more SAP, so it manages to be less obvious, even though it can absorb more liquid.
(Of course, either diaper fully-soaked is going to be pretty noticeable ;)

I am finding it hard to understand why the Ultras exist in the first place, when the regular Simples will do just fine. Again, I strongly feel that caregivers and families are the main influence. I would buy up the regular Simples while they are still available, because it is looking like the thinner product will definitely replace the older ones. Don't be surprised when you see a package of ABU Simples, the older and thicker ones, sell for over $200.00 per bag, just like the vintage Pampers.

Honeywell6180 said:
I am finding it hard to understand why the Ultras exist in the first place, when the regular Simples will do just fine. Again, I strongly feel that caregivers and families are the main influence. I would buy up the regular Simples while they are still available, because it is looking like the thinner product will definitely replace the older ones. Don't be surprised when you see a package of ABU Simples, the older and thicker ones, sell for over $200.00 per bag, just like the vintage Pampers.

Simple Ultras exist for the same reason Simples do: the all white version of a line of diapers. As long as they sell well, there's no reason for them or any future ABU Simple style diaper to be discontinued.

I like both, they to me anyway absorb the same amount since I cant get wicking past the mid rear of the diaper anyway, I do like how thin the ultra's start off as, its a great going out diaper, the original simples are thicker which sometimes make that bubble butt appearance when wearing tighter jeans and athletic pants, but a wet ultra also shows to.
A little off topic but, I cant wait for the single tape ultras to come out, I hope its a revamp of the sdk's with a waist band.

ABU Simple Ultra Wicking

pampers4U said:
I like both, they to me anyway absorb the same amount since I cant get wicking past the mid rear of the diaper anyway, I do like how thin the ultra's start off as, its a great going out diaper, the original simples are thicker which sometimes make that bubble butt appearance when wearing tighter jeans and athletic pants, but a wet ultra also shows to.
A little off topic but, I cant wait for the single tape ultras to come out, I hope its a revamp of the sdk's with a waist band.

I am wearing a ABU Simple Ultra right now that is wet all the way to the back waistband. The SAP doesn't wick worth a damn, so I use a Abena Abrilet doubler to help with the wicking. I have been wearing this ABU Simple for nearly 24 hours. It's nearly time for a change.

Ultra are certainly move comfortable as I have used both😁

Back