Going for Urodynamics Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harleyrider89

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am going to go Friday for my Urodynamics and was wondering what to expect. I am hoping they can find out what is going on. I have had oab for a few years know and it has gotten to wear I have little to no control. After this I already have a cystoscope scheduled for September

When I had my urodynamic tests done, it involved peeing into a flowmeter (which they said "wasn't working right" at the time, haha), then the main event was them testing for residual urine, draining that via catheter, then filling my bladder up and telling me to pee, then draining the residual again. If you don't have retention problems (like I do), many of those draining steps will be skipped I'd imagine. They also had sensors stuck around my perianal area to pickup nerve contraction info, and a fluoroscope running to see the bladder in real time.

All this, and they still didn't get any info to help diagnose, haha. Hopefully yours is more fruitful.

It is basically a reverse catheter instead of emptying your bladder they back fill it till you can't hold any more, they then get you to pee into a machine that measures how much volume you pass.

Overall not pleasant however the only part that hurt me was when the cath passed my prostate but other than its not unbearable however I have UAB so my haldder kept on filling.

- - - Updated - - -

PlotTwist said:
When I had my urodynamic tests done, it involved peeing into a flowmeter (which they said "wasn't working right" at the time, haha), then the main event was them testing for residual urine, draining that via catheter, then filling my bladder up and telling me to pee, then draining the residual again. If you don't have retention problems (like I do), many of those draining steps will be skipped I'd imagine. They also had sensors stuck around my perianal area to pickup nerve contraction info, and a fluoroscope running to see the bladder in real time.

All this, and they still didn't get any info to help diagnose, haha. Hopefully yours is more fruitful.

When I had mind done they got to 1ltr and called it quits I then proceeded to pass only 250ml back out to this day still have no explanation to why I have a UAB as the rest of my nerves are supposedly working.

Pongoandperdi15 said:
When I had mind done they got to 1ltr and called it quits I then proceeded to pass only 250ml back out to this day still have no explanation to why I have a UAB as the rest of my nerves are supposedly working.
They told me to tell them when I couldn't stand it anymore, but I just had a mild feeling of having to go... got to 1300mL with me, when my bladder twitched and I started leaking. They had me then try to go, and only about ~350mL came out, leaving ~850mL still in there that they had to drain.

The next appointment I had, they gave the results to my urologist who said it all looked "normal", lol OK buddy.

I've been through dozens of urodynamic tests. I always had to stop the test because thrm filling up my bladder so fast always hurt.l due tocmy urge incontinence. Then I couldn't ever pee the tube out due to my neurogenic dyssynergia blockage. That always invalidated the test, so for nearly 20 years no urologist believed I even had a problem until my urinary problems almost killed me. So whatever you do, go through with entire test.

The test itself is pretty simple. You change into a gown, then sit on a special chair. They put a sensor on your skin down there, then insert a standard size 12fr catheter that has a couple of small tubes inside of it. With one port they beging filling your bladder up with saline. One other port is used to measure bladder pressure too. There's also a third port for draining, but that is only for emergencies.

They slowly fill your bladder up, and you tell them how it feels at certain points. When you can't hold any more they turn it off and have you pee out the tube. You get cleaned up after that, and they get a readout report the doctor later goes over to decode.

Overall, the test is a bit embarrassing since they are handling you down there. And you are kind of on display the whole time too. It is also wet and messy with you purposely peeing over the chair you're sitting on in the end. But it is an important test for your doctor to see what's going on with your bladder, so just grin and bear it.

Good Lord if that's normal ,the tooth fairy is real !
PlotTwist said:
They told me to tell them when I couldn't stand it anymore, but I just had a mild feeling of having to go... got to 1300mL with me, when my bladder twitched and I started leaking. They had me then try to go, and only about ~350mL came out, leaving ~850mL still in there that they had to drain.

The next appointment I had, they gave the results to my urologist who said it all looked "normal", lol OK buddy.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Wow 850 ml retention that is a lot and I would not think that normal

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info to I'm hoping they can find out what is going on. My doctor had me try oxybutin but that didn't work and the dry mouth was horrible. She wants to try Botox injections on me next

Yeah they told me my bladder is dead but my MRI scan came back as results were "impeccable" I thought well something isn't right. I've got a test on Wednesday involving needles and electric sounds fun not!

yeah that defintely doesnt sound like fun. hope all goes well for you

Harleyrider89 said:
I am going to go Friday for my Urodynamics and was wondering what to expect. I am hoping they can find out what is going on. I have had oab for a few years know and it has gotten to wear I have little to no control. After this I already have a cystoscope scheduled for September

I have severe OAB and I have had two urodynamics and cytoscopes in the past 10 years. The tests don't last long. They will put electrodes around your genitals to measure nerve impulses. Then they pass a small catheter up your urethra to your bladder. They fill your bladder with water through the catheter and you tell them when you feel pressure like you need to go, but can hold it, then when you have to go immediately and then when you are actually going. My tests have been extremely short because I began peeing almost as soon as they filled my bladder. Basically I have very little bladder capacity and no control. They also measure the amounts and check to see if there is anything left in your bladder. The only advice I have is try to breathe slowly and don't think about it too much.

Had all the tests done and nothing to worry about only the prostate check is a bit invasive.

Thanks for the info I'm hoping they find out what is going on. I have little control and most times can't make it to a restroom

Harleyrider89 said:
Wow 850 ml retention that is a lot and I would not think that normal

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info to I'm hoping they can find out what is going on. My doctor had me try oxybutin but that didn't work and the dry mouth was horrible. She wants to try Botox injections on me next

I've had botox, seperately in the bladder wall lining and my external sphincter. First and foremost is the injections are temporary only! They last about 2 months before wearing off. Second, you can only have it done every 3 months and the more often you have it done the less effective it is each time. Third, it is done as a full blown surgical procedure where they knock you out in an operating room so be ready for the whole rigmarole.

Also, both times I had it done the botox not only stopped my bladder from spasing out but it also stopped my sphincter from working at all. Both times I ended up with an indwelling folley catheter for two months. Instead of the intended reduction in problems, botox made things much worse for me. And even if it does work for you, it is a temporary bandaid at best. You will still need to look for a more viable and long term solution.

had the test done today. have an appointment on Wednesday to find out the results. all in all wasnt bad just a tad uncomfortable and i have a burning sensation now though when i pee.

I wish you good luck and that they can find a treatable problem

Got the results back wensday. they put 200ml in and that's when i had the need to go wear i couldn't hold anymore. She told me that the reason I leak is weak pelvic floor muscles and she wants me to take sanctura to hopefully control my urges. I'm also gonna see a pt for strengthening my pelvic floor muscles. After reading about the Botox more I'm not even gonna try that if this doesn't work I'm gonna just were diapers since nothing life threatening it's going on.

The procedure will depend on what tests have been ordered. a basic Urology work up involves just urodynamics. You hwill need to make sure you arrive with a full bladder. When you enter the examination room, there is normally a doctor or technician present and there may be 1 or 2 nurses. You may well have a pressure probe inserted just inside the rectum and then be asked to pass water into a special device. The device records how much water you pass, how strong the flow is and how long it takes you to empty your bladder. The pressure probe measures how much muscle force you use whilst passing water.

You will then be catheterised (uncomfortable but not usually painful). the technician will then start manually filling up your bladder with sterile water and will ask you to telllhim/her when it starts to feel either painful or very full. Once that is done the catheter is remoced as is the pressure probe, you will normally be given time to clean up befoe going back to get dressed. there is usually no need to wait for the results.

There are two other tests. One is a simple ultrasound when your bladder is full, you are then taken to atoilet to pass water and the ultrasound is repeated.

The other test is called a Cystoscopy and involves have a camera passed along the Urethra ( the tube leading to the bladder) and then into the bladder itself. The test is done under a local anaesthetic, but as the flexible camera is slightly larger than a normal cathetere it can be uncomfortable. There may also be pain when the camera is pushed through the sphincter muscle into the bladder. But it is normally very short lived. The Camera is then withdrawn and you are usually free to go. After having a cycstoscop you may experience some light bleeding when passing water, this is normal and will usually clear up on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back