What kind of diapers do you typically find in a medical supply store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepies

Just your friendly neighborhood baa-by
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
I've been tempted to go.. but never have.

Most of us know the stuff in supermarkets is seriously lacking; but what about medical supply stores?

Anyone ever find something decent? What did you find?

Some have an extensive selection or perhaps one good premium brands. I always like poking in (either on the phone or in person) when I see a medical shop to see what they have.

However, by and large you'll only find "First Quality" or "Prevail" which is sort of least common denominator that Medicare will cover.

Not sure about stores in your country, but here medical stores (most of which are online-only) are the only option to get something like Abena or the more absorbent Tena and MoliCare.

I think a good Medical Supply Store should have or be able to get you really good Medical Style diapers, such as Molicare Super Plus, Abena level 4s, Dry 24/7s, and Seni Quatros; when I ordered these 4 a few years back they were in that order of absorbency from Minimum to Maximum (from left to right), however it appears some Medical Diaper brands are making lower quality products as time goes by.

all the medical supply stores around here are mostly pharmacies and dont carry diapers. just depends and store brand in the supermarkets.

So far looking like some pretty slim pickings dang.

Still, curious what other people have experienced

In the US, I'd say it's about 1 in 4 that you contact and you'll find that they carry Molicare or Tranquility or something other than FirstQuality/Prevail. I had a fairly close store that had a larger selection, but still if you want the better stuff (Abena, Dry247) or any of the AB brands, you're going to have to order them.

Even HDIS which used to be THE mailorder outlet in the US, doesn't sell much they cant get medicare reimbursement for (their prices are egregious on even that).

Hi Sheepies,
It will really depend on the medical supply store/chain. As others have mentioned some are better than others. Some might offer much of the North American Tena assortment. Tranquility ATN are sometimes found too. But often the Prevails etc. also.

I think it is fun to explore the different medical supply stores, see what they have and try new stuff.

All the best
Andrew

We used to have one not far from me, but it was dedicated almost exclusively to the US Tena line, and at the time I was using Assurance brand(when they were still plastic-backed) so I never really bought anything there. A higher price for the exact same performance I was getting from the supermarket. I did stop in every now and again hoping for European Tena to show up towards the end of the supply store's lifetime, but no such luck.

willnotwill said:
Some have an extensive selection or perhaps one good premium brands. I always like poking in (either on the phone or in person) when I see a medical shop to see what they have.

However, by and large you'll only find "First Quality" or "Prevail" which is sort of least common denominator that Medicare will cover.
Medicare only pays for diapers if you are in an institution ,if you are in the community and have Medicaid they pay for diapers .

Most medical supply places have exclusive deals with two low quality brands , the lower the cost the store pays the more money that stays in there pocket for supplying them too insurance customers ,you have to shop around to find a place with a half decent diaper that will do the billing paperwork .
I sit in between two different medical supply companies ,i have an ongoing relationship with one of them for wheelchairs, batteries, medical equipment and maintenance of equipment , they will not get me decent diapers or the barrier cream I use ,because it would invalidate there exclusive pricing on the cheap diapers and supplies so despite being less than a mile from my house ,and them doing lots of other business with me ,i get my disposables shipped to me from 5 states away ,in order to get half way decent diapers .most medical supply places are the last place you will find a decent diaper.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

OK, I got he exact billing detail wrong, but the truth is some only have the loss leaders. Some will actively steer you to Walmart rather than selling you what they do have. Some have a decent variety. You'll have to call around if you care. As I stated, I had a hobby of hunting diapers in the local med supply places in all the areas I have lived and finding one with a selection beyond the bottom end is about 1 in 4 in my opinion.

willnotwill said:
OK, I got he exact billing detail wrong, but the truth is some only have the loss leaders. Some will actively steer you to Walmart rather than selling you what they do have.

Walmart's top three selling products are diapers, TP, and bananas. I don't think any of these will ever be used as loss-leaders.

bambinod said:
Walmart's top three selling products are diapers, TP, and bananas. I don't think any of these will ever be used as loss-leaders.

That would have to include baby diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back