Thinking of trying cloth any thoughts

I prefer cloth diapers too, but there are some downsides.

1. I usually rinse them off in the shower by hand, particularly if they're messy because that can't be good for the washing machine lmao. Rinsing them by hand has given me some pretty bad blisters though, particularly if I'm rinsing multiple diapers; not too bad if it's just one or two at a time.

2. The laundry is still stinky, and pretty hard to hide, but I live with my mom and she already knows all about me.

3. Diaper rashes are the WORST with cloth diapers. Like, skin-peeling, bloody, scabby, itchy, flakey BAD BAD BAD diapy rashes lmao. I can literally put it no more severely than that haha. I definitely wouldn't reccomend falling asleep in a wet/messy cloth diaper for and extended period of time. I had a REALLY bad experience lmao. Disposables on the other hand are designed to pull moisture away from your skin, so unlike with cloth diapers, your skin isn't contantly pressed up against urine soaked diapers.

I love the thickness of cloth diapers though, so I'll usually wear them OVER my disposable diapers, then put on my plastic pants. That way diaper rash doesn't set in as fast, but I still don't have to worry about leaking at all. I HAVE leaked in cloth diapers before, but I was actually trying to for experimental purposes lol. My conclusion was that it's pretty much impossible to leak in cloth diapers, using them normally. You'd have to literally be trying to make them leak, and maybe not even then. I find a triple layer is damn near invincible lmao.

As someone who has very bad neurological related incontienece I can assure you that cloth is the way forward for sleep.

1. They give your skin a break from disposables.

2. They feel a lot more like slightly thicker underwear

3. They don’t leak when sleeping on your side (I find most disposables tend to do this )

4. Avalible in other colours that aren’t just white!

Downsides are obvious with washing, the smell is considerably worse as no deodorants in them. Having bowel incontienece when using them is not fun. Also a downside depending on how you see it is that they are very thick compared to disposables. Overall I would recommend what’s the worst that can happen

I’ve actually been considering using cloth diapers and plastic pants at night so as to cut down on the disposables are use and thus I will have more disposable for daytime use. One of the problems I am dealing with besides bedwetting is bedsores on one side of my hip because I sleep on a certain side most of the time because I use a CPAP machine, so I’m hoping that using cloth may help with this issue but I’m not sure, I also don’t like the idea of being in a diaper all night we are the urine is constantly up against your skin like somebody had mentioned in a cloth diaper versus a disposable which could lead to nasty or rashes, but I guess no matter what situation that can be a risk anyways whether it’s cloth or disposable. The thing that I found about cloth diapers with my limited use of them in the past is that you need at least two or three of them, to make them really useful. And then of course there is the added part of needing to do laundry a lot more which for me can get very expensive so adding cloth diapers to this mix of laundry while maybe offsetting my cost of disposables makes another Costco up plus the initial cost which is really expensive so I don’t know that this really makes the situation any better, I guess I’m not really sure what to do . Should I invest at least $100 into cloth diapers to see how it works and deal with the added laundry or should I just take that money and buy a couple of cases of the disposable diapers but I normally use?

I'd go ahead and get them; personally I can't believe I waited so long before actually trying them. Never had the opportunity to until I was an adult, and the price made me conflicted too. In the end though I'm pretty happy with my choice; I've gone months using only cloth diapers without ever having to spend money on disposables, particularly ones that are actually effective (personal preference towards ABU).

You may also want to save a little more, then just get both; two or three cloth diapers minimum, couple pairs of diaper pins (trust me, you're going to want backups. Takes a while to learn how to adjust them correctly and I broke the plastic ducky piece off the pin, rendering it virtually useless. Now I have seven of them for use; the broken one I saved to poke whole in medical disposables to make them more absorbent. Normal adult diapers are a joke lmao. XD

- - - Updated - - -

They will get worn out eventually though. I bought around 21 birdseye prefolds a couple of years ago. I'm down to three of them left now; there's been a lot of casualties in the infantry you could say. The brave diapers put up a valiant effort, but tragically each one was utterly annhilated at the hands of explosive fecal projectiles. Couldn't take the pressure. They tried cleaning up, but were sadly never the same again......and into the dumpster they went lmao; I don't need NOBODY seeing THAT shit lol! :laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

My last three troops and I don't talk about it anymore. :no:

After two years on BetterDry plus three night cloth baby diapers, terry cloth panty, and PUL cover I went back to cloth diapers for a few days. Forgot how much laundry time needed. Even retired, I have hard time fitting in all the daily chores of owning a suburban house and normal house chores with added laundry washing - (drying time for adult cloth diaper is long!).
Enjoyed the cloth feeling for a few nights, but now have gone back to my standby of BetterDry and baby cloth liners for added safety. PUL always needed.

I usually wear 2-layers of a cloth diaper; it isn't really bulky, even if I put a baby pre-fold inside of it. Of course, I have to make sure I change a few times a day, too and use powder (and cream if necessary) so I don't have any leaks. I wear flat gauze diapers most of the time, although I have a few birdseye diapers if I run out of gauze ones.

To add a bit to the good advice already talked about,

Be flexible, there will be times where the little extra time to fold/fit cloth is not a big deal, other times grabbing a disposable instead (e.g., out visiting/hotels) is just as okay. I am re-trying cloth as well and find some of the alternative folds (airplane to be specific) is quicker to setup and more comfortable than the a traditional (tri-fold) or multi-layer folding approaches. If cost is prohibitive, you can use flannel receiving blankets and large infant flats to augment areas where you need more absorbency as a test without a big up front investment.

There are a few threads on this throughout the forum, I am sure you already read, as well as a lot of information out on the web in general.

Well, I was thinking of getting a pole on cloth diaper and a hook and loop style one which I know is actually Velcro, and then getting some plastic pants to go over them. The problem is that I’m a bigger guy and I have a bit of a tummy, when I wear disposable diapers are usually pull them all the way up and don’t wear them underneath the tummy and I know what size I am in disposable diapers but I’m not sure exactly how to do this with cloth diapers as far as size and goes. I was thinking of getting a few from Babykins and/or eBay, also since I’m a bit of a furry I was hoping to try to find either leopard print or tiger stripe diapers, or plastic pants like that or where is jungle animals on them, if anybody knows where to find this kind of stuff please let me know thanks

I only wear cloth diapers. I have tried disposables, but they are expensive, and the tapes do not reposition well. Cloth diapers and PUL diaper covers are an excellent match. Cloth diapers get better as they are washed and dried. Since I started wearing diapers for over a year now and full time for six months now diapers are very comfortable and absorb urine well. The initial cost of cloth diapers is high, but they are reusable and are more cost effective than disposables. Also, used disposables collect in plastic bags and if trash pick up is once a week then the quantity and smell of disposed diapers makes them undesirable.

- - - Updated - - -

I like contour diapers during the day because they work well under clothing are less bulky. I have urge incontinence which is more prominent during the day and I need to change them three to four times during the day. I discovered that prefold daytime diapers work well as well but are bulkier and I can wear them with loose clothing. The brands of diapers are "Leakmaster" and "Baby Pants" both are available on line from Amazon, eBay, and the Adult Cloth Diaper Company.

Back